1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Their biggest fans

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Dec 20, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Source: <a href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/12/20/chargers.raiders.ap/index.html" target="_blank">Associate Press</a>

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- No longer in control of their playoff destiny, LaDainian Tomlinson and the rest of the San Diego Chargers will be cheering for their biggest rivals on Saturday.

"I am definitely pulling for the Raiders," Tomlinson said Tuesday. "I don't ever recall saying, 'I'm going for the Raiders.' "

But thanks to an unexpected home loss to the Miami Dolphins two weekends ago, the Chargers (9-5) are on the outside looking in at the playoff picture. To get a postseason berth, they have to win out, starting Saturday at Kansas City, and get some help from other teams.

Like having the hated Raiders beat the AFC West-leading Broncos in Denver.

Although coach Marty Schottenheimer wouldn't let on publicly, even he's probably going to be pulling for the Raiders, the team that he most loves to beat.

"How crazy is that?" Tomlinson said.

Of course, adding to the Chargers' desperation is the fact that Oakland (4-10) has lost four straight and was beaten 31-17 by the Broncos on Nov. 13.

Denver (11-3) has clinched a playoff berth, but not the division title. The Chargers could still win the division, but would need Denver to lose its last two games, including the season-finale at San Diego on Dec. 31.

For the Chargers to clinch a wild-card berth, they need to win out and have Jacksonville or Pittsburgh lose at least one game.

"The only thing is to keep winning," Tomlinson said. "That alone, we did all we can do. Yeah, we're depending on other teams, but hey, we've got to keep winning, starting with this week, which is going to be tough."

Tomlinson came out of Sunday's 26-17 win at Indianapolis -- which ended the Colts' chance for a perfect season -- because of a lingering rib injury.

"There was a point where I wasn't the same," he said. "I couldn't twist and turn like I wanted to do, and do a lot of stuff like I'm normally able to do. There wasn't any sense of trying to do it."

Tomlinson, who hasn't scored in three games, said he should be able to play Saturday.

"I think with another week, hopefully I'll be fine, because it's not getting worse," he said. "That's the thing. At this time of the year, it really doesn't matter. You're going to battle nicks and injuries. You've just got to deal with them the best you can, and hopefully every week it gets a little better."

His backup, Michael Turner, sealed the upset at Indy with an 83-yard touchdown run.

"I knew that they were going to be up for us trying to run the ball," Tomlinson said. "At that point they were pinning their ears back. That's why you saw the big play happen, too. When they got all them guys up, somebody didn't get over in that gap where they were supposed to get, and Michael got right down the sideline."