1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

There are reasons Bolts not running

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee
    Monday, October 18, 2010 at 9:06 p.m.

Rookie tailback Ryan Mathews would have gotten the ball more than he has if the Chargers could stay on the field and actually score earlier in their road games.
    The Chargers are not nearly as balanced on offense as they want to be, almost entirely because they keep falling behind on the road.
    “We want to run the football,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “… The games we have won at home, we have had better balance, and I think that just reiterates the deficits we have been in.”
    The Chargers have been outscored 29-7 in the first quarter in their four road games this season. They trailed 21-7 at halftime at Kansas City, 17-0 13 seconds into the third quarter at Seattle , 12-0 4½ minutes into their game at Oakland and 17-0 in the second quarter Sunday at St. Louis.
    In two home games, the Chargers have run the ball 68 times and dropped to pass just 52 times. It’s no coincidence they have been up by scores of 21-6 and 28-7 at halftime in those games.
    On the road, the Chargers have averaged just 23 rushes per game, while Rivers has dropped to pass a whopping 47 times per game. Overall, the Chargers are rushing just 40 percent of the time, 23rd in the NFL.
    Additionally, the Chargers have converted 50 percent of their third downs at home and just 36 percent on the road.
    Mathews on Sunday made his first start since the season opener. He ran the first three plays of the game and had 29 yards on five carries after the first quarter. But he finished with 64 yards on just 12 carries and has run just 55 times this season.
    “My intention was for him to get more carries,” head coach Norv Turner said. “What happened yesterday (is) we did not play well on third down. We did not convert third downs. We had three and outs, and we were not able to keep the ball. And when you are not able to do that, it is hard to get consistent in the running game.”
    Worse overall

What made Sunday’s game the worst loss of the season and arguably the worst in Turner’s four seasons was that it was a slow kill, especially on offense.
    The Chargers gained a season-low (by far) 287 yards and had the ball a season-low (by far) 26½ minutes. Philip Rivers had a season-low 77.4 passer rating. The Chargers converted just four of 12 third downs, lower than all but the season opener. They went three-and-out five times, where they had done so six times in the previous four games combined. They totaled less than 10 yards on six of their 11 possessions, just one fewer such drive than they’d had in their previous 34 possessions.
    “Yesterday was different to me than the other games,” Rivers said. “The other games we made eye-opening, critical mistakes ... Yesterday, it was some of the little things creeping in that usually don’t happen. And when you are in a game like that, that are the difference.
    “We just didn’t play very well. I thought we played a lot better in Oakland but made the key errors. Yesterday, I felt as a game as a whole, we just didn’t play very well.”
    Nuts ‘n’ Bolts

• Inside linebacker Brandon Siler, who has missed the past two games with a foot injury, has been running and is expected to return to practice Wednesday.
    • Approximately 2,500 tickets remain to be sold for Sunday’s game against the New England Patriots in order to avoid a third straight local television blackout.

2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Honestly, I think Norv should run more. Balance could be a key to this year's team. Certainly overpowering the defense from the air isn't cutting it on the road. Perhaps it's keeping the best players on the field more often. More running could mean playing against more substitutes on critical third downs. It could mean gaining an edge in the fourth quarter. It could mean less pass rush on all other downs. Running keeps defenses honest, and perhaps Norv going to the air so predictably is precisely why it continues to work less each week.

3. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Well, the running game has also put the ball on the ground a couple of critical times this season to, so there's that.

4. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    I don't believe we aren't running due to score, or any other excuse. So few understand when Norv was thought to be a running cord, he was in fact assistant to J.J who called the scheme and plays. Look at when we have leads we still pass when in field goal range as well. It's Norv nature to pass. For a sure fact there is no excuses ever for anything. This is why there is so few world champions. So few understand that a real Champ never makes excuses for losing. They go back and figure out what needs to be fixed or improved upon and take advise/consider what other say from anyone. Norv in fact doesn't understand how to run the ball TBH. I could post too much about our flaws and why our running game isn't working correctly. I have many times before tried to explain so many our tech flaws in our running game.

Why does a scorpion sting a turtle while helping him cross the river? -Why does Norv call deep drop back passes when about to score min. 3 points?

"Some are born with wisdom, other spend there whole lives being jealous of those who have it. Few are smart enough to pray for wisdom -my quote 13x world champ.

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Nice to see you are a fan of "The Crying Game." Nicetry LEU... Troll.

6. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Was a nice topic post to read. Our 6-5" WR are great for jump ball football, but that's all they worth way too many deficiency fror the team overall good. Just because Norv leaned that tall WR in Dallas back then worked he failed to realize they blocked as well. Our's only catch.

Also consider what world championship teams like the PATS, Steelers & Saints figured out. U need fast tough WR willing to block. Why do u think Moss was traded? We are so far behind what type players and system we need currently I'd give our team 0 chance winning a SB with what we doing currently. We took a SB team from Marty and slowly ruined it.

When I draft a WR 1st thing i look for is speed then toughness and willingness to block. Even on pass plays a key WR block can spring a WR to the EZ. Lame I should been a hc in the NFL, lol well I'm happy to just be the best video gamer in the world :).

Name 1 WR on the teams i mentioned that isn't known for great blocking ?

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, when are you going to realize your crap makes no sense? Go back to your video games

8. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    The answer: A scorpion stings the turtle 1/2 way across the river, causing both to die due to the fact he cannot control his nature.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You are an idiot

10. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Super Bowl XL | Pittsburgh Steelers 21 Seattle Seahawks 10 | MVP Steelers WR Hines Ward

Hindes ward a real WR not only catches TD's but blocks like a world champion WR. When the chargers figure this out tell AJ to stop drafting tall WR's and get some real WR's who block.

Denver bolt just like your nature. U love to flame me on various forums. Why its your nature. I hope u change one day and become friends. I never understood what ppl gain by making enemies? I love everyone my fans and those who try and cause me harm.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
  12. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    So much of what Championship football teams do adv is rely on WR to block to success. Be it extra pass blocking or spring a wide run by containing the corner to the EZ. -All of which does not exist in our team from my view.

Concudan nice post.

Name the time since Norv one of our Wide receiver's have been on TV replay showing a massive block?

1st thing if i took over the bolts would be to draft/sign/trade for tough fast wr's then teach our QB how to move in the pocket. Then I'd change our D scheme all our WR routes. Then use volick in the red zone offense as a better more mobile QB that could run it in if everyone covered. Even if pass plays down close we would either 3 step drop or roll out with volick.

This is what sucks the most we could still win a sb if our coaches would talk to me =(.

13. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Say hi to Kyle, Kenny, Cartman, and all the other World Of FootballCraft players for us, will ya? Troll.

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    :lol:

15. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm used to ppl doubting. My gaming teams have been so dominate that even admins usually gang up svs us trying to make new rules to slow us down lol. Go bolts!

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yeah, I am sure you rock the atari kid...

17. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210

It's like Where's Waldo but in a world of purple people and I'm the only the guy with the striped hat.

18. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    I agree with you there big E. No wonder he/she/it has been banned from all of the other sites, this must be last resort. Inferiority complexes are what makes it lively. Don't buy into it's brand. Just another Jim Rome wannabe...

19. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Good post Good read. And then it happend the EGO showed up with HIS answers. Im sure most here have heard it all before so why derail a trhead with I could fix it jus give me a call coach bs?

I gotta call Cool S*it about our receivers not blocking well. Legs is a very good blocker and has been blocking for us longer than he has been catching the ball... SO by that logic he worked his way onto the team did his job and got a promotion. Jus b/c he catches more now and is dealing with minor injuries doesnt mean his Blocking skills have jus dissapeared.

Also World champ=s Super bowl victory. AKA only in America. aka *Champion* (btw also champions are not football players champions are atheletes taht do it on their own all alone.) You think any majority in 6 other countries really would know the difference between a football player or a baseball player? So again big deal you named a SB winning receiver who got noticed for blocking b/c guess what that is what they were suposed to do before passing for decades now. Even into the BR era, they were always run first pass last, until rookie BR showed they could do either at will.

20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Im pretty sure your obvious need to flaunt your ego has been your problem from site to site to site to site. Have you ever tryed a SN taht wasnt so snobby? To me I read: 1 selfish GUY 13x LIFE flunkee. BUt now you will probably read that as me attacking you.

I call em hows I sees em.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    They are averaging 34 rushes a game at home, how many of those are lat in the game after we have a HUGE lead? When will they start to run the ball to actually win a game rather than just to occupy garbage time?

17-3 against the Rams at half far from out of hand. To just give up on the run with 30 mins of football left, it totally inexcusable

22. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194

Is anyone else seeing a "Bud Light real man of genius" opportunity? "Mr. Internet Football Expert"?

23. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    :) *HUGS*

Posts your world titles in any event so i can read your post more clear. I happen to love to read what world champions post TBH.

Oh yea wow, so few can be #1 right? Well when u get #1 post your fixes for the chargers so I can read and learn new things please. If u ever get #1 or have been #1 in the whole world u will know what i mean. What it takes and how important top strategies and speed is. Then we could understand each other better. I put my time and effort into becoming #1 with hard work and top tactics all time. I spent 12 years researching strategies and what would make them the best in the whole world not just in 1 countrywide etc. So what i speak of tactics I'm most likely very aware of how to break down and analyze problems quickly...Some get paid to work, some like me get paid to design the worlds best tactics to win $ year after year. I just happen to be factually the best at it by far based on prize $ results in the whole world regarding strategy games. So yea I get frustrated when i started going to games and was like wow, this is pro football tactics???? I understand many think when a team loses its the players fault angle. I felt that way when we lost at home to the Pats when Marty coached them. No-one is perfect. Sure i would have done some thing dif, tricks to loosen your players up like i do in gaming. Top coach knows this is part of leadership qualities.

Don't worry I am still amused and read what everyone post's even if they never played or competed in any events. Everyone's views matter TBH.

Honestly wish our fans were more passionate about ur team losing and would help my cause to get better tactics on the field. Don't have ot be mine per say just anything that resembles a professional looking team that doesn't look like other team out there already.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    ^It's ok, 1 Cool Guy 13x world champ, sometimes I smoke copious amounts of marijuana too.
    Toke on, Mr. 'I Learned Everything From Madden' Football Expert. lol

25. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    How would u feel about me if I was the HC of the Chargers next week and I completely changed our teams plays/schemes started getting my type of WR's, tempo and we went on an unbeaten path to the SB this year? This is what I do in video gaming all the time. They pay me to organize compile a team and go win lans. Would if everything I have posted was 100% correct, would u then start to like me if i helped bring a SB title to SD? Obviously the management wouldn't hire me to fulfill this quest, but In all honesty it would be the best thing they ever did if they wanted to become world champs for many years. Would if all I have said over the last 2 years was true and we could become very eXciting to watch week after week. Every week we would look totally dif and dominate. If u ever research my championship teams history each week we had top secret plays/plans that worked to perfection, better than even i expected on our way to winning championships. We ragged teams. We were always 2-3 years ahead of our completion tactically they still coping my strats and trying to figure out why they were so effective. 1magine, dream with me that since there hasn't even been any great new football inventions how many idea's could be revolutionized and exciting to be the 1st team to exploit these advantages...

My biggest problem i have is i have never been stopped from becoming #1 in 5 dif games in a row so I'm like tripping out why u guys don't even consider what i say on how we should be changing our teams style? I cannot even believe there is so few who understand top strategies and how important they are. My 1st world championship team i ever led had 1/2 the talent when we beat this other team full of superstars, yet didn't have adv strats or great leadership.

26. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341

27. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    World of Warcraft called, your "tactics" failed and you got the whole gnome army killed. Quit trying to sell us your 'brand' because those lines are already taken in the "jungle." Rome wannabe.

28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    [​IMG]

29. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    [​IMG]

30. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach