1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

There is a bright side to being a Charger fan after week 1, or are we spoiled ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JoeRockhead, Sep 15, 2010.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I posted this as a reply to another thread, but wanted to start this as a thread of its own. Maybe it can help a downcast fan or two in this dark week of disappointment and frustration........

I asked an Indy fan today if he was ready to give it up this year. He laughed and said why would I ask that. I replied because it seems
    so many Charger fans are giving up already. He couldn't believe it. Not just from one game. The first one at that. I have followed the Chargers since 1979 at the age of 12. I'm not from California, I grew up in Michigan. There is this other team there called the Lions. They are my second favorite team. Yes, it's sad but true. So I laugh when all the people panic, moan and groan and generally think the season is over after a game like Monday's. Well I know the Chargers have had some bad seasons in the 31 years i've been watching. But I bet you any Lions fan ( I know there is only about 10 of us or so) would love to be in the Charger fans shoes.They would trade places in a minute with you if the team fortunes could have been like the Chargers. This club hasn't made it to the promise land since 94, I know. The team has won lots of games and has had many sucessful WINNING seasons. Their front office may not be great, but they never had a Matt Millan either. There is always something this team can improve on and it has made bad decisions from time to time. We can't always be pleased, and it is a fans right to complain. We all want the Chargers to win a Superbowl at least once in our life time. So don't take this team for granted. Appreciate you have a winning team that has a chance to win it all and make the season very entertaing. There will be frustrations, there will be joy and anger. There will be hope and hoplessness. That is why we love this team and why they matter so much to us. So count your blessings once in a while and thank your lucky stars, the Chargers are not the Lions. We are really kind of spoiled, that is why we can look with hope towards contending for the Superbowl this season, as well as seasons in the past. We don't know how good the little things are, because this team always has high expectations every year. It ain't so bad. It could be a LOT worse. SO KEEP HOPE ALIVE and don't jump from the wagon on week 1. Norv is 5 and 7 in September. Why does this shock us? If we suck at the beginning and turn it on at the end so be it. We have a chance and that is all we need. I do wish we could get VJ back, and I do think we will miss him. It would be nice to have him for the games we could. I have a dark fear this will come back to haunt us this season. I do disagree with how AJ has handled the whole thing.
    So doubts could be well founded by many, that this team does not always do all it can to win. But I am proud to be a Chargers fan, up or down, disappointed, mad, or happy. Hey the Red Sox fans kept hope alive and their wishes were finally granted. Why not us too? Here is to a POSITVE OUTLOOK for the rest of the season. Come hell or high water. Amen.

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I thought I was the only Bolthead in Michigan

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Please copypasta this into the positive vibe thread Joe.

:tup:

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Thank you JoeRockHead!!! I hope you all read that post carefully. Be thankful we HAVE a winning franchise and aren't the Lions!

5. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I don't know if any of us are ever ready to give up. We are sick of eating sh1t sandwiches though. Ask that New england fan about his teams superbowl victories (plural). Hell, even Tampa bay and new orleans have rings. Come on man. If you cant understand the frustration of being a Charger and padre fan just look at the history. You claim to have been a fan all these years. Were you there when we squished the fish way back when only to lose the title game? Did you watch the padres get trounced by the Yankees or Tigers. That 98 Padre team was one of the best teams of the modern era going up against The best baseball team of the modern era. Even so, the Pads got swept! The Chargers get so close only to break our heavy hearts every year. We keep coming back though following the each other like mindless loyal lemmings. Shelling out money on tickets and jerseys and beer every year. Now let me make myself clear. I am a Charger and Padre fan forever. My loyalty is unquestionable. I was watching games at the Murph in diapers when the concrete was still drying and my father watched gillmans teams. I am a lemming and will follow my team......That doesn't mean I have to sing along the way. I can be as pissed off and vocal as I want. I have earned the right. :tounge:

6. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Sorry, i'm a Tigers fan..... and a Yankees fan...... since 1976... gasp .
    If you read the whole post, I DID say a fan had a right to gripe. I fault no one for that.
    I'm just saying everything is not all bad. Thats all. Gripe away it's a free country and forum. I'm just trying to be a positive voice, in a sea of doubt and pity. I get to voice my opinion too. I've also earned it, I think. I'm also a Michigan Wolverine fan too. Yes USC beat us many times. Oh well. But we have a pretty good QB at the moment at least.

7. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Well, I live in North Carolina right now. But Michigan is always home to me.
    Lived there most of my life and i've got lots of family there .

8. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I dont think the gripes are related to our season being over after the first game...thats crazy! What people like me are unhappy about is the way in which the team has played in its first game. I can hack losing any game as long as the team as given a good account of themselves...against the Chiefs monday night, they didn't...and everyone should be pissed at that!

As fans of a Superbowl worthy team, we should always expect the very best from our team and when we dont get it, let the world know your not happy about it!

9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Great speech/prayer/rant. This will all be forgotten when we are 4-1. Well some will never forget, I have to include myself being at the game to witness it.

10. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Another bright spot seems to be the emergence of Naanee. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have overall better numbers than Floyd
    this year.

11. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I was upset too, but i'm not ready to light any torches, gather a mob of unruly fans armed with farm implements, and storm AJ's offices demanding blood just yet.
    I believe the weather had a lot to do with the way the Chargers played. The special team play WAS inexcusable, and if it doesn't improve, we should ALL demand the special teams coach's head on a platter! The fumble by Matthews was bad, but rookies make mistakes, and the ball was wet. Heck, Shonn Green fumbled twice and dropped a key pass in Mondays Jets game.

12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I would love to see that. I have been waiting since we drafted Legs to see him get his chance. Even tho at the time I was kinda bitter/mad that CC wanted out, after all we did to get him to a Playoff contending team that I would love to seen him retire with the Chargers.

Of course I was glad he was gone because it opend up that starting spot on the roster to Floyd and Naanee. To me VJs decision is just as sweet cuz now both Floyd and Naanee get a chance to shine. I do not and will not miss VJ, book it. We got Joiner to GrandMaster train these guys, moreso than he already has.

13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Well if you need the implements I got em. Pitchforks, grubbin hoes, sledgehammers, also a ez torch recipe is melted wax and TP... very fun science project you can do with ur kids also. I do recomend you do it with your children or they will do it wout you and you will be on the ******* one day wondering wtf is all the TP??