1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Thing that I think I think :)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolt Attack, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I am finally (I think) starting to come out of my depression over our beloved Bolts. At this point, I am not sure what the solution is to our implosion issues that we seem to have each year. Part of me feels as though the team is really missing that great coach that keeps them focused and prepared for the game. It is my belief that is the reason we always start so slowly and have issues after a bye week....the players listen to the hype and really do not stay focused. Having said that, Turner is not going anywhere so the team is going to have to find it elsewhere. I am not saying that Turner can not coach, I just believe he lacks the skills to keep the team focused and lacks the ability to create a sense of urgency. In my opinion, the team motivates themselves once they get in a hole and realize they may be in trouble.

Anyway, I need to vent and thanks all for listening....all we can do now is move on and look to next year. There are a lot of interesting story lines that will be presenting themselves starting with LT's future with the team. It is my belief (which I feel is unfortunate), that LT will be gone by March due to the roster bonus he will be due. The Chargers can cut him and save $5 million dollars.... I really feel as he has gotten a bad rap for the running game. Has he lost a step? Probably, however I believe he still is better than most running backs in the league. I think the fault of the running game is two fold. First, the offensive line...it has done a great job in pass protection however does a very poor job run blocking (which are two completely different skill sets). Secondly, the lack of a dominate full back ( like Lorenzo Neal had been) to help LT get to the second level. In addition, I believe that LT has been "set-up" in some ways in preparation to the eventual "cut" that the team is going to make. Anyone who watched the playoff game would see that Norv continued to try and bull dose LT into a wall time in and time out. LT's first run in the game was an outside run for 5 yards. The question that I continue to ask is, why did we only run that play once? Anyway, it is what it is......LT will be gone by March and I wish him the best where ever he may land.

My last thing I want to talk about is Nate Kaeding. I believe that he is a great kicker that allowed the mental part of the game to get to him. My only question is whether he can break past that part. I find it interesting that he did it against the same team that he lost to in OT a few years back. Either way, he is a great kicker that I believe will find some way to get over the hump (I hope).

Well, this is what I think I think. :yes:

2. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    I can understand everything you say. Except Keading. He is an good kicker when nothing is on the line. He made almost every kick this year. Some clutch kicks (Cincy). I just dont think he has what it takes to get the job done when the pressure is on. Bottom line. The Chargers play Indy in the AFC championship game if our kicker makes 2 field goals he has been nailing all year long. But to be fair. I think kickers are disposable. IMO AJ should cut/trade Nate to send a message. This can never happen again.

Who is Indy's kicker?
    Who is the Saints kicker?
    Both mid season pickups

We can get someone off the street. It would be worth the message being sent.

GO C/-/ARGERS

3. ESCOBAR 92113

ESCOBAR 92113 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    we as fans need to stop dwelling on this loss, the players forgot about it long ago.....have you read any of thier tweets? alot of them sound like its whatever.....sad.

as far as the kicker thing....have you noticed whats going on around the league? especially in the playoffs, theres a kicking pandemic in the league..who are we gonna replace him with?

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    We have to figure out a way to resist the urge to take on the personality of our HC.

We also need on the field leadership on our defense. It seems to me (arm chair GM and all) that we sometimes get a lazy and undisciplined on both sides of the ball which leads to dumb penalties.

I know I will lower my expectations this year and hope we make the playoffs.

:bolt:

5. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I must agree, he does need to get past the mental side of it. Interestingly though, as far as misses go, the only real prolific misses in the playoffs that I can think of (correct me if I am wrong) is the playoff loss to the Jets and then this one; which both were at home. Did he miss any field goals when we lost to the Patriots in 06 (the other debacle here)?

6. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    It is an interesting aspect, for the players (much of them since we are generalizing) it is a just a profession or job, for us we live and breath the Chargers.

7. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I don't think it was a coaching problem at all this year. We made uncharacteristic mistakes,, things that hadn't happened all year, the players just weren't doing their job... and playcalling kinda sucked.

8. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah, leadership and discipline seem to the lacking componant each year. Interestingly though, each year we say the same thing, "I will lower my expectations next year" and then we get caught up with the "this is their year, we are going all of the way."

9. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    That is why I believe it is coaching....the players listen to all of the hype and do not properly "mentally" prepare. It is also the reason that I believe that we start so slowly each year. There are some serious egos on the team and it takes a strong leader to real them in and keep them focused. That is why we had all of the dumb penalties and lack of poise. IMO

10. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Either way, Norv is not going anywhere, and even with everything I am saying, I believe that he can be a great coach for our team. We just need to have someone step up and fill that leadership role. Someone that can keep the entire team focused. Rivers may be that guy some day....I think of him as a young Peyton Manning...I believe Peyton is the one that keeps them going the direction they need to go when things go amiss. Rivers has those same attributes.

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    i dont think anybody bought into the hype, beginning of season, yes. after getting our asses handed to us by pitt, we changed our attitude and finished 11-1 in our remaining schedule. I do agree we have some egos, but the pitt game really humbled us BIG TIME. i dont think it was a lack of preparation because the game plan seemed to be "try to set up what we usually do, if not, win it with our all-pro kicker." it was a lack of EXECUTION that lost us the game.

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Right. But the Saints and Colts both picked up some scrub kicker in the middle of the season and are in the Super Bowl, therefore any kicker we pick up in the middle of the season will be nails.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Al Davis doesn't believe in discipline. He likes to take the most troubled players and let them do whatever they damn well please. That's had it's times to be successful but when it fails, it fails really really bad!!!

Seems like discipline is something that's been thrown out the window here over the last three years but we only have a few players with some troubles that aren't too severe.
    But, this lack of discipline is not allowing our younger players to mature.

14. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I think I have forgiven Nate. Look around the league. Good kickers are not falling off trees guys. Lets do something crazy like give the guy a chance to rise to the top and battle his daemons. Dont you all think he wants another chance at those kicks? Or do you people really believe he has no heart? Again, there were alot of stupid plays that just should have never put us in positions of field goal tries. I really dont get Turner trying to bang LT up the middle all the time. If your going to use him to keep the d honest why not send him to the edges were he's best. He's never been a power back! He can also catch the ball on the sidelines and run for a bunch. This is were he has always shined. He's gonna be missed and he will probably go to the patriots or Cowboys.

15. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Why would the Cowboys even be interested in LT? :icon_shrug: They have Barber, Felix Jones and Choice. :yes:
    As for the Patriots....is LT better than Maroney? :icon_huh:

16. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Generally I agree with you however I believe that we fell back into the same trap after winning 11 in a row. I believe that is what led to the execution problem....however your guess is good as mine. Ultimately, we need to find a way past this perpetual issue that seems to hit us.

17. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I agree.....or he could end up at the Saints.....

18. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I agree about the Cowboys, however the Patriots have shown a propensity of picking up veteran players that are in similar situations as LT is in. I could also see him with the saints, although with Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas I am not sure he is needed there.

19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I can see the Patriots wanting to sign LT. I can't see LT wanting to sign with the Patriots, unless he doesn't get much offers elsewhere.