1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Things I think I think

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT - HOF, Jun 25, 2007.

1. LT - HOF

LT - HOF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Here's my takeoff on Peter King from a purely Chargers perspective.

I've always thought LT was amazing ever since he came into the league in that he could always slide into the smallest hole and get positive yardage. I always wondered what he could do with KC's line from a few years ago. It seems now that we'll have the opportunity to see that - Marcus McNeill, Kris Dielman, and Nick Hardwick are among the tops at their position. I do wonder if teams will get wise to them running left so often and Vincent Jackson cracking back - if I can see the play coming - I'm sure defenses can to. That 5 yard average is something - we saw a glimpse in 03 with some slightly above average linemen, I hope with this OL it becomes the norm. Speaking of KC, anyone think LJ will be as good with an new line? Think that might be something the Chiefs are thinking with his contract demands?

I remember watching Philip Rivers pick apart college defenses and thinking how I'd love to see him on the Chargers. Then Brees became the player he was and Rivers became an afterthought and I wished Brees had stayed because he was proven and I didn't want to take a step back. I must say now though, I think Rivers might have a higher ceiling. If you've ever seen Brees and Rivers throw in person - you know who has a better arm. He knows how to game manage and he's a quarterback who never considers himself out of the game. I saw that quality in college and I think it's translated into the pros - he's got so much fire - he wills his team to keep playing. He's already got 2 huge comebacks under his belt and but for some dropped balls in KC and NE - he'd be almost perfect.

Look for Michael Turner to get a lot more reps this year. I know - no duh. It only makes sense they want to spell LT and drive up the value for Turner no matter what happens next year. Have you ever seen a back with Turner's speed and power combined? Seriously...Earl Campbell? He wasn't that fast. Ricky Williams...not that great at breaking tackles after first impact - he fumbled more often on second effort. I'd say maybe Bo Jackson comes close.

Things the year hinges on (after injury concerns);

Vincent Jackson catches with his hands.

Craig Davis is ready to play at a high level.

Malcolm Floyd gets double digits in TDs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't know if you can drive up the price for a UFA unless AJ plans to tag him

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Great takes. I'm not sure if Floyd needs to get that many TDs.

Figure Rivers is good for 25-30 TD passes this year. You can pencil Gates in for at least 10 TD catches. That leaves 15-20 for the rest of the guys. Between LT and the goal line phenom Manu :)lol: ), we should reasonably expect 5 TD catches. That leaves 10-15 for our wide receivers. VJ had 6 last year, while starting for only half the season, and really only hitting his stride in the last month of the year. I think he's good for at least 9. That leaves only a handful of TD catches left for Parker, Davis and Floyd. If each of those guys gets 2 TD catches (very likely), that puts us at 30. That's a phenomenal year.

I really believe this offense has a chance to break the record for most points scored in a season.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I think you are underestimating Floyd's probable total. Same for Parker. Norval is going to open the offense up from all indications. Never mind that they are a threat to score from just about anywhere with LT, MT, Gates and VJ, it would appear from the passing ability of Rivers and his field judgement that the Chargers red zone probably moves out to the 30 and that they are a quick strike threat from the 40. I don't see a team in the league with the kind of downfield blocking ability that we have to seal off pursuit lanes. I expect better play from Olivea and for Goff to be as reliable a hard nosed player as usual, so the running attack may be more balanced. We present match up problems at all the catching positions because of height and leaping ability. VJ showed flashes of improved catching ability at the end of last season, Floyd and Parker have always been able to catch, Davis has soft hands and Gates is Gates, LT is LT and the newbie Chandler can also catch. If we stay healthy, there are two guys on almost every set that will need double coverage. Individual scoring totals may drop because more people will be getting into the end zone, and if LT and Gates STILL score like usual, then the NFL is going to have to open up a psychiatric ward.

5. LT - HOF

LT - HOF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Here's my logic on the Malcolm Floyd TDs;

LT is going to be 'double-teamed' on the goal line. If they can manage it - they'll employ 2 guys in some form on Gates whenever possible. Davis and Parker are non-factors on the goalline and in Parker's case - altogther where touchdowns are concerned. I can't see how a guy like Malcolm Floyd won't be single covered - you could make the case it would be Jackson, but I just have a gut feeling that Floyd will be the breakout star this year until Jackson shows me something in the way of more reliable hands. Remember Floyd was the man before he got hurt even more than Jackson and now he's bulked up.

All the national publications are saying Jackson is the guy who could breakout - I just think things never quite work out the way they're supposed to.

And the UFA thing on Turner - if he has a crappy year by not playing- I don't think AJ would get a 3rd round as speculated compensation. If they franchise him- all the better, but I think that's doubtful.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    :icon_rofl:

7. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Thus far the thread is about offense....all good points, this unit wil be monstrous, injuries willing.......stud Oline with continuity....Rivers, LT, Gates and a blossoming WR corps.

But if this team is going to win a Lombardi its gonna happen because our D steps up........as unstoppable as our O seems on paper, there will be big games in the regular season where we will have to make stops.....and in the playoffs against Brady and Manning. We slowed Brady down alot last year, but in the end we gave him too many chances and he finally got it done (at the end of the half, and on his last TD drive)........silly mistakes by our coaching (prevent D), and penalties (DFlo), and breakdowns (as much as I hate to admit it Jammer losing his balance against Caldwell).

Defense wins championships, the Colts much maligned D stepped up in the playoffs..we will need to do the same on D. We have the talent: a monster rush, run D and improving secondary.

Its time fro this team to show the world what has been brewing in SD the last few years on AJ's watch.:icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I wasn't predicting the totals of those guys, just saying that it wasn't necessary for Floyd to have 10TDs for us to be successful. If Floyd has 10 TD catches, then we might just break the NFL scoring record.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Point taken. I think we have a better than even chance of breaking it regardless of how the scoring is distributed, especially if both VJ and MF(an abbreviation appropriate to both Malcolm and the reaction of any number of bitter DB's)break out this season. Rivers is off the reservation. I am real curious about what the over and under is going to be in each of their games. As far as the defense goes, I will be surprised if we are not inside the top ten. Cottrell is going to be more aggressive with guys who really want to attack. I would not be surprised at all if we break the records for offense and finish in the top five defensively. The personel are in place, and I think the DB's will make some strides this season. There is more competition in camp than ever before.