1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Things to Watch for the Rest of the Season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chaincrusher, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    What a great win yesterday! The Chargers dominated the game, especially in the first half. That was easily the best they have looked all season long. If that was the final game at the Q, it sure was a good way for things to end.

Better yet, barring a road win against either the Raiders or Broncos, that win will probably only move us down one slot from second to third in terms of draft position. (CLE probably will not beat either KC or PIT and TEN would have to win both of its remaining games to get behind us in draft order.) I realize that BAL is currently set to pick third even though they beat us because their strength of schedule is currently worse than ours, but it is close and they finish against stronger teams that we play taken as a whole (PIT and CIN versus OAK and DEN).

The 4-10 and 4-9 (yet to play Lions) teams in the NFC all have stronger strengths of schedule so absent wins on our part, we should be safe from them catching us from ahead.

Quietly, a few other things have been happening as well that I think are noteworthy:

1. Melvin Ingram has entered the top 20 in sacks, sitting at #16 with 8.0 sacks, including 6.5 sacks in his last 7 games. In studying Ingram's career stats, because of injuries, he still has less than three seasons worth of actual games played, which gives hope that his current hot streak may be something that is sustainable. He has a chance to finish this year in double digits in sacks.

2. And that's kind of funny because I have always considered Attaochu to be the better pass rusher between Attaochu and Ingram. Attaochu, for his part, has cracked the top 30 in sacks at 6.5 sacks. Let's hope he is still ascending on his learning curve.

3. Several weeks ago I suggested that the Chiefs had a legitimate chance to win the division over the Broncos. With the Chiefs finishing the regular season at home against the Browns and Raiders and owning the tie breaker (division record) over the Broncos, it looks like all KC will need is one more Bronco loss (either at home versus CIN or versus us the following week) to capture the division title.

But a DEN loss to CIN next weekend in particular could make things interesting for us versus DEN. The Jets may lose at home to NE (tough game), but if they could at least beat the fading Bills on the road, a CIN win over DEN would put us in position to knock DEN out of the playoffs altogether as the Jets would have the tie breaker over the Broncos (conference record).

And that makes for an interesting question as to that for which we want to root. Another win could easily cost us a whole handful of draft slots in next year's draft, but wins are always enjoyable and a win that would knock Denver out of the playoffs would be especially enjoyable.

Which would you guys prefer--1) winning, knocking the Broncos out of the playoffs, and sacrificing 5-6 +/- draft slots in the process, or 2) losing, letting the Broncos in the playoffs for a likely to be one and done at KC (the #6 versus #3 matchup in the hypothetical case where we do not beat DEN), and us keeping what looks like will be the #3 overall draft slot?

2. ZapCannon

ZapCannon Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i'm down for whatever at this point but seeing the broncos knocked off would be something for myself to be half-excited about!

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Just want this team to beat the Raiders. Sit Rivers for the last game because that Denver D will kill him. Chiefs suck and so does their wannabe QB. They are just a waste of space in the playoffs.

4. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    The Chiefs may quietly be the best team in the NFL right now. The recent loss of Houston has not slowed them down at all. Not one of their 8 wins in a row has been by less than a TD. They do not make many mistakes, can run the ball, have an efficient passing game with a good TE and a very good WR. They are a top 10 scoring team (9th) and a top 3 team in scoring defense. I would say that is pretty far from sucking.

They are going to roll the Donkeys/Jets (if they are the #3 seed) or Texans/Colts (if they are the #5 seed). I would favor them on the road versus CIN (likely #2 seed) the following week even though they lost to them earlier this year. I can't say what will happen in a likely AFCCG versus NE the following week, but KC destroyed NE last year and KC is better than they were and NE is worse.

So I would definitely make them a live contender to go the SB from the AFC. I am not saying it will happen, but they have a very legitimate chance.

I can never root against the Chargers, but realistically speaking, our beating the Raiders helps them get a better draft pick and hurts us, so I am not going to be bothered if we lose that game.

To me, the more interesting game is potentially the Denver game where we might have a chance to end their season. The game becomes less interesting if we do not have a chance to end their season because I think they are one and done no matter who they play in the playoffs.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  5. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Would be nice to beat a division rival. but in reality all it does is help another rival. At this point I just want us to suffer no more injuries, give Melvin Gordon some more carries (provided he's able to play) and get a decent draft pick. In the bigger picture that is what helps us out for next season and beyond. Denver would likely be a wildcard still even if we did beat them.

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +943
    Just goes to show you what an atmosphere can do to some players. Hopefully, wherever we play in 2016, there will be a supporting Chargers cast, it clearly helped yesterday on the defensive side of the ball.

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    Our starting linebackers accounted for 20 tackles, 3 sacks and 1 forced fumble.

8. ZapCannon

ZapCannon Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    yeah against a garbage 'falling apart' O-line in a well 'past due' statement game. ^

these linemen need to understand that they are coming in to be an athlete, fill the groove, not to just be bucked off the wild horse, the bucking bronco, the raging bull.. within the first 4 seconds.

this aint manifest get your *** kicked destiny this is san diego 'get your *** in the game' football

beat your block ; hit your next block, double extend it, be the ill-fated play's hero

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    Well, way to be encouraged.

I saw Melvin Ingram show a plethora of moves (spin, swim, rip, etc.). I saw Attaochu and Ingram on stunts as well. Perryman and Te'o were solid, and best thing about all this, our oldest linebacker is 26, and that's Ingram. We have a young core of solid young linebackers coming up. That's what I'm excited about.

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    To be fair Ingram did none of that against Brandon Albert, who left the game in the 1st quarter. But it was the best game of Ingrams career so far.