1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Think Vincent Jackson is fast enough?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by WonderSlug, Jul 19, 2006.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Here's what I found interesting regarding the two top WR taken in 2005 versus our WR taken in the 2nd round.

From NFL.COM's 2005 Draft Profiles:

Vincent Jackson: 6' 5", 241 lbs, 4.46 40-yard, 2.57 20-yard, 1.57 10-yard, 39 inch vertical
    Braylon Edwards: 6' 3", 211 lbs, 4.45 40-yard, n/a 20-yard, n/a 10-yard, n/a vertical
    Troy Williamson: 6' 1", 203 lbs, 4.38 40-yard, 2.61 20-yard, 1.6 10-yard, 37 inch vertical

So, Braylon and Troy, who were at least 30 lbs lighter than VJ, only ran slightly faster than him at the 2005 combine!

And Troy was actually slower than him in the first 20 yards even though he was 38 lbs lighter!

Think VJ's plenty fast for us? :icon_mrgreen:

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    That's impressive WS. Let's hope that he can stay healthy and contribute this year.

3. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Jackson could be awesome , he sure won't get jammed at the los and his yac could be super , real high ceiling on him.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Wow his 20 Yard and 10 yard split times were faster than Troy Williamson's, a bona fide burner, and some "experts" say VJ "moves like a TE." Unless they mean he moves like Antonio Gates, I don't know what they are talking about.

5. CrmWestwood

CrmWestwood BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    no joke, if he moves like Gates that's still insulting considering how fast VJ is, no offense to gates I still love him but come on, VJ is lightning. Jackson has to stay healthy or will truly be devastated, I want to see what this kid can do SO bad!!!:tup: :icon_banana: :tup:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Well its potential and possibility but like Rivers it has to prove its something real

• Like Like x 1
  7. Big_Brother

Big_Brother Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    What is nice about that is the 10 and 20 yard splits are more meaningful than the 40 time, being faster coming out of a cut is more important than top end speed. I never really thought of VJ as a burner because of his size but he is more than just fast enough, if he catches on this year it could be memorable.

8. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Good 10 and 20 times are more important for explosive plays.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed but I think the concept is that when VJ moves he "clears a space" that a TE would normally clear because of his "size" and not his "speed".

That is the only way that makes sense to me otherwise it is insulting.

10. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    That's the way I see it too.

VJ's size allows him to outmuscle good corners, and double-teams, for the ball like a good pass-receiving TE, a la Gates. We already saw some evidence of this in his two catches in the Indy game.

11. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    His size indeed allows him to "post up" in the same fashion Gates does on the ball. This now requires the DB to be MORE acrobatic with the "no touch me rules after 5 yards" in place.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I knew the dude was fast but not that fast. Troy Williamson was one of the fastest dudes in the combines with a 4.3 something speed in the 40.

13. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, and his being 0.08 faster than VJ seems to be more the product of him being 38 lbs lighter. :icon_wink:

Now, Matt Jones, is a freak athlete: 6' 6" 242 lbs and ran a 4.37 40-yard. Jones was faster than Braylon and Troy, while being 30 to 40 lbs heavier! :icon_eek:

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yep, alot of times the really big guys don't appear to be running as fast because they have such long strides, but having better 10 and 20 splits than a true burner that's been described as "sudden", that's really impressive for a big man.

I posted this last year after we drafted VJ and was laughed at, but based on workouts and various other tests, VJ was bigger, faster, stronger, quicker and smarter than Mike Williams, with bigger hands and longer arms. He scored better in every combine drill.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

VJ was often described as a poor man's BMW but the poorer option is apparently doing better then the rich one.

16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Unless your the owner of the Lions. Dude got $400k in rebates from BMW's stupid ***.

17. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    The big ouch is that Detroit wasted a top ten first round pick on this lazy sloth.

When you look at the players they could have taken with that pick who would have been an actual help at a position of need, it's mind boggling.

18. CrmWestwood

CrmWestwood BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    I just don't get how V.J. didn't get picked up earlier if he's really this big, fast, and good! What am I missing here?

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Because he played Division I-A, instead of Division I.

There's always a stigma associated with coming from non-Division I.

If VJ had done this in Division I, he'd have been a top 15 first rounder.

20. CrmWestwood

CrmWestwood BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks! That makes a lot of sense...I didn't follow him in college at all so I had no idea but that is sooooo true...If your not Division I then you definitely get overlooked.

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup. He played for Colorado Mines or some tiny chickensheet college.

22. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    :lol:

Northern Colorado.

23. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yes.

At Northern Colorado he finished with 177 receptions, 3584 yards (20.0 YPC ave), and 37 TD.

If he were to put up those numbers at any Division I school, he's easily a top 15 pick, with his size and speed.

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Hey you try remembering after morning mimosas and the kine and we shall see.... :lol:

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I am just wondering if the guy if a pusssy ?

He is hurt an awful lot and this tells me he is either a pusssyy or not.....I am leaning to him being a pusssyy but this year he needs to get the stench of his junk and produce.

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    He needs to de-pussifyy himself in my eyes.....

27. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Eh, that'll be easy.

Watch those two catches of his in the Indy game again.

Both times he got double hit by two Indy DBs and got up with a look of "Is that all you fuggers' got?" on his face.

And then he laid out John Lynch on a block in the Denver game at home.

28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    When he has been on the field - I likey. The injury bug is getting reminescent or shades of Riccochette Caldwell

29. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, but that was the first time he's been seriously injured in his career. He played in 2 games as a freshman where he got 9 catches, and 36 regular games his Soph - Sr. years. Throw in 8 playoff games with that. He's played in 46 college games in all, of which he started 30 of them.

He did have a little lower back bruise in 2004 from playing on the basketball team but that went away quickly and didn't stop him from setting school records that season playing football.

So, I don't look at him as a Stephanie Alexander. :icon_mrgreen:

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The microscope is out on this cat. I have my sniper rifle zero'd in on his melon for this season - along with Hardwick - Olivea and the rest of the fat boys.

• Like Like x 1