1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This 2007 Draft in Review

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BlueandGold, Aug 9, 2007.

1. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    As talented as this team is, we have been girding ourselves for the point when late-round draft picks are going to be a long shot to make the team. With so many starters returning, and with AJ's philosophy of retaining backups and teaching them to become starters, I for one thought that it was going to be difficult for this years' draftees in particular to make the squad.

Surprisingly, the news coming out of camp is the opposite.

Take the following with a grain of salt, of course - the real hitting has yet to begin. Still, I must say - the way this draft looks so far, AJ's legend continues to grow.

A pick-by-pick review:

1 - Craig Davis

Going to make the team, but he's the number one pick, so he should. What is surprising is how good he's looked in camp - not at all raw, but from all accounts like a veteran NFL WR. He's made spectacular plays all over the field and has established a rapport with this QB. One fan went as far as comparing his penchant for the spectacular catch as similar to JJ - that's quite impressive. Aren't WRs supposed to take 3 years to develop?

2 - Eric Weddle

The most common phrase you'll hear is "he's always around the ball". That's a pretty good skill for a safety to have. Matched up one on one with Antonio Gates, Weddle has shown that he can hold his own. His coach, Bill Bradley, says that he never repeats a mistake and that he's an extremely quick learner. Observers comment on his "come out of nowhere" quality - also a valuable trait for a safety. He's locked in a battle with Hart for the starting role, so we're pretty sure he's making the team.

3 - Anthony Waters

For a team returning 19 of 22 starters, we finally get to a draft pick who probably WON'T be starting in the third round - not too shabby. Still, this is no knock on Waters, who looks absolutely beastly out there. With Wilhelm and Cooper getting their shot, Waters and 7th round pick Siler will get a chance to learn the game. Nonetheless, Waters will likely see decent playing time, as a 3-4 defense requires depth at linebacker - and Anthony certainly helps there.

4 - Scott Chandler

Chandler is a gigantic human being (6'7", 257) with moves and hands like a WR and the blocking ability of an OL. He comes to a team seemingly stocked at the position, with perennial Pro-Bowler Antonio Gates and the "best blocking TE in the game", Brandon Manumaleuna. Still, the coaching staff and witnesses at camp are undeniably impressed by this young man's talent, who, like his classmate Buster Davis, has a penchant for the spectacular catch. His blocking ability has also been impressive as well. I think this guy makes the team no question - his ceiling is stunningly high.

5 - Legedu Naanee

I must remind you that Legs is our 5th round pick - because if you've been at camp, it's easy to forget it. At 6-2, 228, Naanee has drawn one of the most favorable comparisons a reciever can hope to get on this team - "He catches the ball like Antonio Gates". As well he should. Like Gates, Naanee is a former basketball player and knows how to use his body. With his great size and strength, the coaches have been sticking him everywhere in the offensive formation - TE, FB, WR, you name it. The fight for WR is hot and heavy this year, but I think Legs makes it. Another guy with an extremely high ceiling.

7 - Brandon Siler

Our seventh round draft pick has had a very solid camp, but has missed some time due to injury. Similarly to Waters, he won't start, but he's a valuable backup to have in a defense stocked with LB talent. But if anyone is on the bubble from this draft, I would say it is Brandon - not really through any fault of his own, just that fact that ahead of him is Wilhelm, Cooper, Dobbins, and his classmate Waters. There is also Applewhite, who has done some good work this camp. Either way, w're going to be fine without Edwards and Godfrey, I think.

So, there you have it. I cannot believe how good our draftees look this year. All of them - yes, ALL - are solid football players at the very least, with Davis and Weddle showing some brilliance and Chandler/Naanee unlimited potential.

We'll see what we think at this point next year, but I can't help but think that AJ has done it yet again.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Good breakdown. Thanks.

3. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    for drafting @ 30 - there's NOTHING to complain about....

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Dang good recap and thanks. You are spot on. :tup:

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Good recap. They dropped two TE's so there is room on the roster for Legs and Chandler. Weddle is performing just like the scouting reports and is going to be an in your face display for the ******* talking heads who were tut tutting AJ for both a reach and over paying to move up to get him. :icon_tease: I suspect that Polk or Harris will disappear before Siler does, but he and Applewhite could both wind up on the PS, provided they clear waivers. There are also teams out there how might trade for Polk or Harris, depending in there injury situation. We'll have guys nicked before the final cut as well, which is when the decision on Siler and Applewhite will probably happen.

6. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    I was not crazy about the Craig Davis pick at the time, though I will readily concede his skill set is a good fit for this offense. Still feel that a guy with his talent should have dominated more than he did at the college level. I know there were other weapons, but that means that he was often single covered. I'm glad he is doing well in camp.

I love the rest of the picks. Weddle, IMO, is going to be very good.

7. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Hey RC, I wasn't crazy about Davis either, but now that I've seen him in TC and heard about his awesomeness, I'm excited.:tup:

8. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Buster has made a lot of believers over the past few weeks. He is almost literally the star of this camp. From his hands (he has dropped maybe 1 ball all camp) to his routerunning (he's unbelievably quick out of his cuts and sells them very well) to his courage (look at some of the pics people have snapped off - the man is fearless in heavy traffic) to his focus (he's made a few catches where the ball was bouncing around or where the defender was draped over him, and he still made the grab) and he really does look like the "complete" WR that AJ, Nix, and Norv were talking about.

All in all, I'm incredibly excited about this preseason. :abq2:

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I was not sold on Davis either and I respect our scouts.

After fan fest, I was sold.

I know there was no hitting but you can see the kid has all the tools and he basically erased any heebie jeebies I had about him.

10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Shame on you Trumpy when AJ hand selects for us we better listen and see what Gawd has given to us. :icon_evil:

AJ is Gawd

Do not doubt the AJ:icon_evil:

The prophet never doubts AJ. Bad Trumpy Bad.:icon_evil:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'm one of those impressed. I knew about Davis, more for his speed then anything, but I had been thinking Gonzalez or Dwayne Jarrett. Davis has been outstanding from top to bottom and sunday he gets his first chance to go against someone other then our DBs.

Also I've been impressed with Chandler and especially Weddle who is ALWAYS around the ball. He could be something be special too. Waters, Silfer and Naane I haven't seen much of.

12. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    In AJ we trust.

He knew what we needed and where we're going with whom he drafted. We're just starting to realize it.

The guy's genius. We just have to hope that everything goes as planned.

Oldie Out