1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This (at least right now) a C+ Team

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lance19, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Like a lot of Charger fans, this season has been pretty hard, so far,
    for me to swallow. That’s largely because I really WANT a Super Bowl season,
    and probably also that I’ve gotten used to an average of about 11 wins per
    season in the AJ era. I definitely expect a lot more of this team these days than
    my first 3 decades of following the Chargers had taught me to.

But it’s time to face facts: This is not a good team. It’s an average team.
    Specifically, I’d say it’s a C+ team. I think it was one of the ESPN guys
    who said words to the effect of “Which Chargers will show up for the Chief
    game? The great Chargers or the bumbling Chargers?” That’s usually one of the
    safest, (emptiest) things a commentator can say, because most teams perform significantly
    better some weeks than others. And yet “He’s totally wrong” I thought…
    because the Chargers have been remarkably consistent this year:

Is it in character for a C+ team to beat a struggling Viking team by 7 points? Yes
    Is it in character for a C+ team to challenge but lose to a good Pats team, in Foxboro, by 14 points? Yes
    Is it in character for a C+ team to beat an initially awful, but improving Chiefs team by 3 points? Yes
    Is it in character for a C+ team to beat a pathetic Dolphin team by 10 points? Yes
    Is it in character for a C+ team to beat a ‘D’ quality Bronco team by 5 points? Yes
    Is it in character for a C+ team to mostly lead, but choke away a game to a B- Jet team, in NY, by 6 points? Yes
    Is it in character for a C+ team to take a 3-3 Chiefs team to overtime on their home field? Yes

All 7 games so far, the Chargers have played entirely consistently with what a C+ team would do.
    That’s who they are. Why the decline? It’s hard to say, for sure. The roster definitely has more new faces,
    and less star power than previously. Rivers is clearly not performing to his usual elite standard.

Now, am I saying that they can’t do better? No. Fortunately, recent history is that Charger teams rock
    in November and December, so it’s not out of the question (nor assured) that they might improve significantly.

Am I saying that—as a C+ team—they have no chance of beating the Packers, Sunday? No.
    The Chargers have enough talent, plus home field, and a Packer D that is not great…if the Chargers
    can avoid mistakes, a win is certainly not out of the question.

So, I’m hopeful…but--right now--my Chargers really are just a C+ team.

[p.s. Robdog, for you, maybe we could call it “C++”] ;)

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I'd say C-. C+ if Rivers was playing moderately well.

I watched the guys on NFL Network rip apart our defense last night, basically wondering the same things we all have been.....why do the Chargers not even attempt to rush the passer? They also mentioned how you can throw any route you want to and have success against the Charger secondary.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    C is a passing grade! ;)

4. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    C's get degrees!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Straight C grade here.

Drop it a notch to D & we'd have a Tea Party candidate for prez. :eek: :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    What is it, 7-8 new starters on defense and a hurt up offense with a lot of guys in and out of the line up, playing hurt, missing all and parts of games. A quarterback who seemingly has forgotten how to play his position. I reckon it's better to start the season out with wins during all the confusion going on and gaining momentum in the second half. I most certainly can happen, but, will it. From C whatever to a playoff run would be some real good medicine in my mind, it can happen!

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Grades don't mean a thing, actual play out on the field does.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh contrair monfrair... Style points is everything, if you dont win by 30+ you are shyte!

9. eoconnor101

eoconnor101 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    Only a few events had to occur differently for this team to be 6-1....of course they didn't and that's why there is all this talk but at 6-1 would anyone care how they got there? A win is a win, a loss a loss and style doesn't mean a thing.

I gather green is your sarcastic color Conc?

10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    If that's true, some of us have wasted our time 96, 1,000, 5,000, 38,000, etc. times in here. ;)

There's football. And there's jawin' about it. This seems like the place for the latter.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    NO!

yes