1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This bodes ill for a SS FA Pickup...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ikeman83, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    No one is buying it now, no matter how much he claims it is. There's no way AJ can even pretend publically or privately that all it will require to get deep into the playoffs is health and resigning his own guys.

As for Stuckey, why on earth he wasn't given an immediate chance to start at SS after Sanders went down I'll never know. My guess is that Stuckey is proving his value on ST so much they might use him to fill Steve Gregory's role instead or get him into more 2 deep safety coverages. They have to add someone to at least compete - maybe in the draft maybe a lower FA. It does mean though no Laron Landry and likely no Tyvon Branch, which is a big negative for AJ

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Did you even read the article?

There is no mention or quote from AJ Smith, nor is saying that Stuckey will get a shot at "Competing for playing time on defense in 2012" any indication that anyone is taking a status quo approach. Hell you even question why he didnt get a chance before... SMH

Lets not give ourselves black eyes via knee jerk.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I'll only note that suggesting he's ready to compete for a starting job can, due to AJ's reluctance which you've noted yourself to get into FA, suggest that AJ and Norv think SS is fine, and that Stuckey is ready to step it up. If you believe such, you won't need to grab someone in free agency or really even in the draft. There's nothing specific that you are looking for, but then again you know as well that there won't be such a statement.

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    When we have a whopping 2 safeties on the roster (if we're not counting Gilchrist there) then SOMEONE is going to have to be picked up, Ant. Stuckey and Weddle are it right now. Stuckey's entering his 3rd year which is when young players (at least the ones not drafted in the 1st round) are expected to turn the corner. This article is really just stating the obvious as an excuse to say anything: Stuckey could compete for a starting spot... well yeah... DUH! He's one of only two safeties we have on the roster right now and unless Pagano's got some super secret formation, we've got to start someone next to Weddle next season.

Look, LaRon Landry ain't coming. I've been over this ad nauseum... signing him would be like signing Bob Sanders all over again except likely 10 times as expensive with very little more actual gain on the field from what Sanders gave us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Did you put a babblefish in your ear, cause this post is not making a lot os sense...

So you feel that by saying Stucky can compete for a role, that we wont take one anyone... We dont have enough safeties to take that route. Unless you are suggesting that next season we will enter training camp with what, 3 or 4 safties?

The fact is this article says nothing about AJ Smith, nor does it bode ill or well for who we will pick up be it in free agency (which I am not holding my breath for big splashes there) or in the draft.

Contrary to what anyone is saying, implying or inventing, AJ hasnt said anything based on this article.

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Correction to my earlier post, not counting Gilchrist, we currently have 3 safeties under contract: Weddle, Stuckey, and Deandre McDaniel. We're not going into camp, much less the 2012 season with only 3 safeties.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    You can't believe anything anyone says from now until after the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  10. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    ThunderHammer defense here we come!!! Hell yeah!!!

11. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    We don't need any stinking safetys. Five down linemen and 6 linebackers, all out rushing the QB. It is a winning defense. :ninja:

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Guys like LaBoy and Diggs would still find ways to eff that formation up.

"Wait... you mean I'm s'posed to run at the quarterback? Right when they snap the ball? Well that hardly seems fair. I thought we was s'posed to let the fine young man throw that ball to his friend while we just stood around and let those much larger guys give us hugs?"

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Oh, didn't even know we had him on the roster, and honestly don't know much about him except for the fact he was arrested a year ago.

You call it the thunder hammer I'm hunting you down myself :ninja:

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    He was a guy I remember so many people loving because of his size, but his mechanics/tackling technique were deplorable if you could even say that they existed, and his instincts really weren't much better. One of those "all the physical tools, but may never have the ability to put them to proper use" guys (see Pat Watkins, who we had on the roster at one point in 2010)... if Meeks can make anything of him he's a bloody miracle worker.

15. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Deandre McDaniel.. DMC.. I talk to him on twitter and he's very excited to come to SD and is ready to make an impact.. I sense this kid is hungry and Gilchrist will show his former Clemson buddy around and make him feel comfortable..

I have a lot of hope in him I mean he had something like 14 INT's his last 2 or 3 seasons at Clemson.. ridiculous.. picked off Ponder and Newton as well.. he's a hard hitter too..

16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm not contending that we're going into camp with three safeties. That doesn't mean that we're going to sign anyone in FA who would be a dramatic upgrade to those players, either.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    It doesn't mean we won't either. Everyone's so set on this AJ's STILL going to pull his "everything is fine" shtick, when there isn't anything in that article other than wisps that people want to then take and jump off a cliff with on blind speculation, that suggests he's doing that. I think the man grasps that without some substantial change his butt is on the line along with Norv's.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If he doesn't then that king-sized ego has definitely jammed up the mental works.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'm looking at it this way: Even if AJ is banking on that in the event he's canned here that he'll be able to cherry-pick from a list of teams falling over themselves to bring him in as a GM, common logic suggests that he doesn't want to do anything that would tarnish his luster in their eyes - which one would think pulling an ego-driven "keep beating the head against the wall trying to knock it down" continuance would do. He may be a self-centered prick, but he's also a savvy self-centered prick whose not going to do anything to hurt his own bank account.