1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This Day In History - January 10, 1982

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SDRaiderH8er, Jan 12, 2012.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    This Day In History - January 10, 1982

[​IMG]

The Cincinnati Bengals Defeat The San Diego Chargers In The Freezer Bowl

Temperatures reportedly dropped to 37 degrees below zero in what was nicknamed the Freezer Bowl. Factoring in the wind chill, it's was the coldest known NFL game in the history of forever when the Cincinnati Bengals hosted the San Diego Chargers on January 10, 1982, during the 1981 AFC Championship Game. The Chargers comprised of a mighty offense, with future Hall of Famers such as quarterback Dan Fouts, tight end Kellen Winslow and former Bengals wide receiver Charlie Joiner. Though with only one future Hall of Famer on the roster, the Cincinnati Bengals starting lineup had a who's who in Bengals history.

Though names like Ken Anderson, Dave Lapham, Anthony Munoz and Cris Collinsworth are widely known to most folk, others might not be, even to the younger generation of Bengals fans. For example defensive end Eddie Edwards (83.5), Reggie Williams (62.5) and Ross Browner (59.0) remain today as the best three pass rushers in franchise history. Ken Riley (65) and Louis Breeden (33) hold the top two franchise records for most interceptions in a career. Max Montoya is arguably the best offensive guard and Dan Ross held many receiving records as a tight end.

Ken Anderson QB Eddie Edwards LDE
    Charles Alexander RB Wilson Whitley NT
    Pete Johnson FB Ross Browner RDE
    Cris Collinsworth WR Bo Harris LOLB
    Isaac Curtis WR Jim LeClair LILB
    Dan Ross TE Glenn Cameron RILB
    Anthony Munoz LT Reggie Williams ROLB
    Dave Lapham LG Louis Breeden LCB
    Blair Bush C Ken Riley RCB
    Max Montoya RG Bobby Kemp SS
    Mike Wilson RT Bryan Hicks FS

Roughly 46,000 packed Riverfront Stadium, dealing with windchills reportedly 50 degrees below zero and worse, witnessing the Cincinnati Bengals easily beating the Chargers 27-7 to claim the AFC Championship. Bengals players predictably believed that the cold temperatures gave them a decided advantage over a team based out of sunny San Diego.

"We knew we had a feeling for the ball in the cold," Dan Ross told the Associated Press. "We dressed differently than they did. They just had sweat shirts on." Ross posted a team-high five receptions for 69 yards receiving.

"I'm still freezing. And I had on thermal socks, thermal underwear, everything," said Pete Johnson. "I even wore two pairs of gloves. One of them was rubber so I could grip the ball better." Johnson, who scored one of Cincinnati's three touchdowns, led the Bengals with 80 yards rushing on 21 carries.

In the end the weather didn't matter. From the Associated Press:​

• Like Like x 1
  2. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    we played them at home that year, they kicked our butts

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    The following year we beat both Super Bowl participants, the 49'ers and Bengals. In the Bengals game we scored 55 points I believe.