1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This is great!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Game123, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Game123

Game123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97
    http://www.thestar.com/Comment/article/463496

Trucker fined $500 for failing roadside English test

Jul 19, 2008 04:30 AM

Jay Reeves
    Associated Press

TUSCALOOSA, ALA.–Manuel Castillo drove through Alabama in a truck filled with onions and left with a $500 ticket for something he didn't think he was doing: speaking English poorly.

Castillo, who was stopped on his way back to California, said he knows federal law requires him to be able to converse in English with an officer but he thought his language skills were good enough to avoid a ticket.

Still, Castillo said he plans to pay the maximum fine of $500 rather than return to fight the ticket.

"It just doesn't seem fair to be ticketed if I wasn't doing anything dangerous on the road," he said.

An Alabama state trooper thought Castillo, 50, couldn't speak English well enough to drive an 18-wheeler when he was headed back to California from picking up onions in Glennville, Ga. A driver for 20 years, Castillo was stopped in west Alabama for a routine inspection.

Castillo, who says he speaks English at roughly a Grade 3 level, said he understood when the trooper asked him where he was heading and to see his commercial driver's licence and registration. He said he responded in English, though he speaks with an accent.

Castillo wasn't speeding, and the inspection and computer check turned up no offences, so he was surprised to get a ticket for being a "non-English-speaking driver."

Federal law requires that anyone with a commercial driver's licence speak English well enough to talk with police. Authorities last year issued 25,230 tickets nationwide for violations. Now the federal government is trying to tighten the English requirement, saying the change is needed for safety reasons.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has proposed rules requiring anyone applying for a commercial driver's licence to speak English during a road test or vehicle inspection.

2. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Makes sense to me..........if you can't speak English well enough to be understood by the police, you've got no business driving a truck or doing anything else that requires basic language skills (reading road signs? understanding directions?). JMHO.

3. chiefsgal

chiefsgal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +443
    I think its BS.....he's been driving for 20 years....we need those truckers on the roads....they mean american made products made here and bought here in the USA.....not flown in from another country....and a big thank you to all the independent truckers who are taking out loans right now to buy gas....:tdown:

I hope his company will pay the fine for him.....trucking companys take care of their employees very well.....:tup:

4. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    The way I look at it is, the law is the law. The law needs to be enforced, otherwise why have it on the books in the first place.

Hopefully the company he drives for will pay the fine for him, because they were aware of his inability to speak English and hired him anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chelsea

Chelsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +703
    Has he been a truck driver for 20 years in the USA? If so, he should be way beyond third grade level English.:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 2
  6. chiefsgal

Ratings:
    +443

he wouldn't have to know any in texas.....and my opinion is the trooper was just being an ***....you know what happens to some men when you give them a gun......:lol::icon_tease:

7. Game123

Game123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97

It doesn't matter if the trooper was an *** or not... the guy still doesn't speak English well enough to avoid being fined. BTW, the trucker violated a federal law... not a local law. He could have been fined in any state. He just happened to have his luck run out down South.

8. chiefsgal

Ratings:
    +443

my opinion only is hes been driving for 20 plus years...then he must read and speak enough english...it was his first time...:icon_shrug:

9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    If this case goes to court, I think it'll be thrown out.

jes sayin