1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This is it!! We're coming to San Diego!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    OK, I've done it. I've convinced Mrs. Buck that San Diego is just as affordable & a much cooler place to come for a game vs. Kansas City. :tup:

It's true, folks. I swear it. So now I need a bit of feedback from you locals and frequent visitors to the City of Chargerl-y Love.

Where to stay?

Needs to be somewhat near the Zoo, Balboa, maybe a day trip south of the border (do we need passports now??), & far enough from Qualcomm to distance ourselves from the party when we're ready to sleep!!! And safe.

Mode of transportation to the game?

We won't have much in hand - I'll send some cash to someone when we're locked on a date to help with 'gater supplies if you're willing. We'll have a car, but I don't want to drive in. Maybe a carpool if we're close to someone here? :icon_shrug:

TICKETS!!!!!!

Only one thing is certain - we want to come to the Bolts/Chiefs game as Pam is a Chiefs fan. So I'll be looking to some of you for access to or suggestions on where to look for tix. I'm sure these are tough ones to get, but that's a nonnegotiable component of the deal.

Restaurants/Nightlife

Yeah, we're gonna want to party a little, too!!!! :icon_party:

All suggestions to improve the trip are greatly appreciated, folks! I hope to meet many of you on this trip. And Pam's a good egg - for a Chiefs' fan!!

2. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    My first suggestion would be one of the hotels in "Hotel Circle", in Mission Valley, right off the freeway (8) and a few miles from the stadium. You can take trax to the game. It's fairly centrally located and less than a 15 minute drive to anything you might want to do in SD.... shopping, eating, beach, Balboa Park, Sea World....etc. Shopping and eating are just minutes away from these hotels.

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Hotel Cirlce is a great, affordable option. The Trolley will be a great way to get around (and be able to drink without worrying about a DUI) as it goes to the border, the Gaslamp, Old Town, and the stadium. I used to take it every game before I learned the secret.

You'll have to drive to the beaches, the Zoo (which is also Balboa Park), and Seaworld.

Unless you are taking several weeks off for the trip, that list should keep you busy as hell during your stay. I'll look forward to meeting up with you and your better half at the tailgater.

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I agree that Holel Circle is a good option. The trolley is just a little north f Hotel Circle, but definitely within walking distance. You can catch the trolley as Fashion Valley Mall. There is a huge parking lot there, so if you don't feel like walking, you have the option of driving to the trolley stop and parking there.

I'm not sure if passports are required yet to cross the border (I have a SENTRI pass and just show that to cross). If you have a passport, I'd bring it as it will make the crossing easier. You can take the trolley to Mexico, but it'll take a lot longer to get there than driving. Still, it's a great option if you're going to be drinking. Also, make sure to check when the last trolley heads back to San Diego if you're going to be there until late. It would suck to have to sit a the border until the first trolley runs in the morning. If you drive to the border it's easiest to park and walk across (unless you want to go further into Mexico than Tijuana). If I remember correctly, $10 should cover parking for up to a 24 hour period. I like to park on the east side of the freeway as it's a shorter walk when coming back (when you'll be tired). One more thing I just remembered about the trolley to Mexico.

The trolley can get you to the gaslamp area downtown. That is area with all the clubs, restaurants, dancing, etc. You'll see a lot of tourists there as well. The trolley also takes you through old town. I highly recommend Old Town Mexican Cafe. There will be a huge line outside and they don't take reservations, but they are generally quick to get you seated.

Most of the hotels in Hotel Circle will provide transportation to Seas World and the Zoo. They usually have a small bus that runs periodically. Check with the hotels for details. Actually, many of the hotels in that area offer package deals that will include tickets to Sea World or the Zoo. To get to the beaches, you'll most likely have to drive or spend $20 to $30 each way for a taxi.

To get tickets. If you want to make sure you get good tickets in advance, try stubhub. Oh yeah, disclaimer here, if you do go the stubhub route, please click in the link on the right side of this forum to get to stubhub. It doesn't cost you more to buy them that way, but this website gets a small commission which helps. Other options are to post here that you're looking for tickets and maybe someone will have some that some to sell. Probably a cheaper option than stubhub, but no guarantees that someone will have tixs to sell. There are the ticket brokers, but they are generally expensive. You can also get tickets the day of the event from scalpers, but that can be a pain. Plus the hotter the Chargers are at the time, the more you'll pay. If you're good at haggling, it might be an option.

If you want to donate to the tailgater you can either use the "donate" link here which will conect you to paypal. If you use this option, make sure to specify that this is for the tailgater and 100% of what you send will go to the tail gater. The other option is to contact Tony (trumpet_man) via PM and make arrangements with him dirrectly.

You and Mrs. Buck are going to have a blast! If there is anything specific I can tell you about, don't hesitate to ask.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Just to follow up what Thumper said about the trolley...

You can't park your car at Fashion Valley and then take the trolley. They do watch, so beware. You can park it at Hazzard Center, which is one trolley stop East of Fashion Valley. That's where I park when I go to the games and it's the best thing. There's also a big Double Tree hotel in Hazzard Center so that might be an option for you, Buck.

I believe that passports are now required to get across the border. I remember reading about the crush of passport requests right before spring break down here.

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    This is true. I forgot, they don't want you parking at fashion valley for the game, but they allow it at hazard center.

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There is another option in the Banker's Hill-Hillcrest area. The old Park Manor, now called the Inn at the Park is across the street from Balboa Park on the corner of Fifth and Spruce. Nice little restaurant called Jimmy Carter's(no relation) across the street and a Seven Eleven kitty corner as well. Immediate bus service to the Fashion Valley trolley stop. Within walking distance of several independent coffee houses and a bunch of really good restaurants, including a right tasty Italian one about two or three blocks away. Awesome dessert cafe two or three blocks the other way. Restaurant on the roof as well.

8. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Oops, I knew you guys in SD called it something other than "Trax" which is what we call our "Trolley" -- just couldn't think of the name when I was typing the post.

Hey, is there a trolley from the airport to east county so I don't have to ask family to pick me up on Thursday night when I get into SD??????

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Nope. :no:

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Hotel Circle for accomodations.

Trolley/Cabs to get around. You can take the trolley to get to TJ as well as Qualcomm.

YOU DO NOT need a passport to cross the border. Not until Jan 2009.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Bullshit. I did that for 2 years and never saw anyones car get towed. You can park there as long as you park where you're supposed to park. I used to park on the top deck closest to the trolley, where the pedestrian bridge to the trolley platform is and never had a problem.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Or hell park in Fenton Parkway by the Lowes and Costco and walk into hte stadium - they warn you with BIG signs that you'll get fined/towed but they can't stop people and have no real way of checking UNLESS you decide to deck your car with charger gear.

The one problem with the trolley is getting out of the stadium - no fooling you'll be waiting for three or more hours.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It will be good to meet you Buck.

I think everybody here gave you good suggestions. I would recommend driving in because it's more fun and convienient. I always bring some extra tailgate for after the game. That way you hang out with friends and wait for the traffic to die down.

Like people said "you'll be waiting for a long time to take the trolley out of the stadium" but you could head to Bolt Talk and walk around other areas after the game to let the line reduce.
    If you're gong to do that, I would recomend Fashion Valley parking lot.

14. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I stay in Hotel Circle for the games. If you need a ride in,let me know. :yes:
    But... I will be heading to the stadium as it opens. :tup:

15. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    That's OK. They've offered to pick me up.. was just trying to save them the time.

So there is no trolley from the airport that might go anywhere....... where I could pick up a trolley to East County??? Let me ask the question again.... Does the trolley even go to the airport????

Carrie better get out to SD and do something about this :eek: :lol:

16. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The Trolley does go to the Airport but not at the terminals. There is a stop at the north east side of the Airport. You will have to take a bus to the Trolley then a Trolley can get you to the East County.

Carrie where are you trying to get to in the East County?

I might be able to try to direct you what Buses and Trolleys to take to get where you need to go.

17. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Well, they were doing that last season. With the several lots they have, plus the size of the place, you'd think they wouldn't care.

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636

I actually think you do need one, well , not exactly a passport but some sort of goverment issued id with photo like drivers licence.

19. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
  20. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I'll PM you TT... ;)

21. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

That is a great idea!

Cheers
    :icon_toast:

22. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    given that I only make a couple games a year I thinmk that's a great idea too. meet as many folk as possible:icon_toast:

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That's a great idea. I want to maximize the "meet and greet" as much as possible!!!

It will definitely be the KC game. That's a nonnegotiable criteria since Pam is a Chiefs fan & this trip is preempting one to Arrowhead. Please keep your eyes/ears open for tix!! I'll be checking the usual suspects, like stubhub, but if anyone has an inside line, keep us in mind.

This is gonna be SO MUCH FREAKIN' FUN!!!!!!! :bolt: :abq2: :abq1: :icon_party:

24. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    The KC game sounds like a promising option to meet some of the Bolt Talk posters.

:yes:

25. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Hey Buck.

I always head out for the home opener but just might try to make it out for the KC game as well (if they are not one in the same). :tup:

Wifey and I stay in Old Town. There are a couple of good hotels there, some of which are pretty reasonable.

There are a lot of advantages to staying at Old Town:

It's a $10 cab fare to and from the airport.

It's the hub for the trolley system. From there you can get direct lines to the Gas Lamp, Qualcomm, TJ, Fashon Valley and other places.

There are also plenty of restaurants and watering holes within walking distance.

In addition, at the Holiday Inn there is a Hertz kiosk. Usually, if we stay for a long weekend (4 days) we rent a car for a couple of them so we can head out to the beach and other spots around town. For the other couple of days, the trolley gets us everywhere we need to be.

26. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +92
    This is a great thread guys; full of good information for those of us from 'out of town'. Can we stick it to the top of the board? It could be useful for those travelling in throughout the regular season (and beyond)?

Mrs English and I have some friends who want us to go to Munich, Germany for Oktoberfest and also to NY to see Macy's Thanksgiving Parade this year but we're not too keen. We're hoping they find it all too costly so that we can hop on a flight to SD for a game later in the year. I think we're looking forward to our first tailgater as much as the game itself!!

Like most other posters, I also love Chispa's idea of having a designated 'out of towner' home game where we could all meet up.

27. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022

SDC, Old Town is a GREAT alternative plan to Hotel Circle!!!!

Great food there...(in Old Town) but too bad they moved that Mexican restaurant that was one of my favs. I heard a rumor that they moved it to the Grossmont Center in East County. I'll check on that this weekend. If that's true, Carrie is going to have to pay them a visit. :tup: I wish I could think of the name of the place. :icon_shrug:

28. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Mission Bay Hilton... 15 minutes to just about everywhere... La Jolla north, the beaches & clubbing west, the murph east and Old Town/Airport south... Coming to SD has to include water, a view of the bay would be preferable...

not to mention it makes for a great walk or jog or paddleboats or jet ski or......