1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This is My Take.........

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Nov 25, 2008.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Last year we could do no wrong until the last and final game of a great season. This year things aren't exactly going our way.

Defensively everyone said how much we blow, my boy Cottrell was a scape goat and what our offense did was make the opponents offense look great. So if our defense was back to a shutdown defense the opponents offense would look lack luster like ours does now.

So is it that our offense is a crappy offense or is it that the defenses that we are playing are doing what they are suppose to be doing......stopping drives? I know this sounds a bit confusing in all but it is no different then when a bad team plays a really good team. If the good team loses, is it because they played down to the competition or is it because the bad team played up gunning for the better team.

We all say we have great players and the talent level is high but seriously, who & what have they done? LT, Rivers, Jammer, Williams, Gates, Jackson & maybe McNeil but other then that, what have the rest of the players really proven? :icon_shrug:

2. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    I believe a lot of it comes down to mentality.

Earlier in the season when we were scoring points for fun, the Offense had a confidence about them that meant they kinda knew they would score TD's. That confidence has now evaporated with poor playcalling and poor execution.
    If you look at LT's dropped pass (easy), poor passes, or the numerous poor blocks - if they were one off's then you put it down to bad luck. However, with it happening more and more it looks like a maliase (lethargy? - Madden).

On the other hand, if you look at the D - then the last 3 games has seen a progressive, marked improvement in movement, aggression and, especially, sure tackling. There now seems to be confidence about the D that they are going to stop TD's.
    The only disappointment with the D is the final drive and the prevent Defense.

Now, the Offense has regressed just as the Defense has progressed. This doesn't mean that Rivera should be HC. It means Norv should grow some balls, take some risks and realise it's last chance saloon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Why is Norv going to chance anything? He's already gotten a vote of confidence from the FO. Now, perhaps that was just for public consumption, but I doubt it. AJ already had to swallow the Cottrell hiring - it's doubtful that he'll take an early hit on Norv, too.

So Norv plays it vanilla, licks his wounds, ****s the team & the fans, & looks ahead to next year. He's already thrown in the towel. The 4th & 2 BS on Sunday told me all that I need to know about Norv's mindset for the rest of this year. And probably further. :icon_sad:

• Like Like x 2
  4. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    So let me understand this......in the beginning of the year he was calling the right plays and was successful, now has ****** play calling and is avoiding what he knows what was successful at the beginning of the year?:icon_huh:

Now my question is, is it ****** play calling or just plain old poor execution by the players?

5. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Now that just isn't true. Turner rarely, if ever, goes for it on 4th and short. I can recall only two moments in almost two years of him coaching here that he has decided to go for it on 4th down--last year in the Colts game he went for it on 4th and short and converted, and the drive eventually led to our only offensive TD of the game. Second, in the Baltimore game he went for it and converted, but the drive stalled and we punted.

The thing you have to understand about Turner is that he's fundamentally a conservative coach. That means he rarely takes chances like that, and he rarely radically alters his gameplan. That's why when we see teams play schemes like Cover 2 designed to take away deep stuff and give you the short stuff, Turner keeps calling to throw the ball down the field. He's got his strategy and his style, and he doesn't vary from it.

He's just a conservative guy, and won't go for it very often at all on 4th down.

6. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    There may be poor execution by the players but IMO its due to uninspired players, playing for a coach who calls uninspired plays and doesn't or can't make adjustments during a game.

As Warren Sapp said on NFL network a couple weeks ago Norv Turner has trouble doing more than two things at one time.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Just one look at Sapp and we can tell the dude can stuff his face and talk garbage at the same time.

I loved it when Philip completed that pass against him and he was kicking dirt like a little school girl. (No offense meant to any woman anywhere) :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Personal accountability is sorely lacking. If players are playing bad = blame the coach. If the coaches make a dumb *** decision = players can't execute. It's this huge circle of suck.

N:icon_huh:rv has no nuts. Period. No one on the team respects him, and they all choose to believe their own hype and run around telling everyone great they are. How THEY think the team should gameplan, ext. Because after all, this is the 2008-09 Super Bowl Champion Chargers we're talking about, not some group of scrubs.

How did we get here? It didn't show last season because of a few built in excuses, namely the "getting to know the new coaches" moments we went thru @ the beginning of the season. Then, the team still respected Norv and what he was trying to do, and even though we got off to a terrible start, they still bought into the plan. We lost a few, then won a few, eventually clawing their way back to .500. Then the team go red hot, went on a hot streak that carried us all the way to the AFCC, and everything was roses.

So what happened to THAT team? LOSING. We started losing this season, and without that "new coach" built in excuse this seaosn, the wheels came off big time. We began seeing rampant signs of immaturity issues, lack of leadership/being overhyped, terrible play, poor schemes, so the team had to find another excuse. It was Ted's fault. That excuse worked until Ted got fired. Now, they need someone else to blame because surely it's not MY fault. It never is with this team, it's always someone else's fault. Blame AJ for that, stripping the team of its veterans and letting the kids run around unchecked by a coach with no balls to smack 'em in the face and tell them to STFU AND PLAY!!!

LACK OF RESPECT. Once it's gone, it's gone, it's not going to grow back. N:icon_huh:rv needs to GTFO.

• Like Like x 5
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I think this nails it on the head, its just become too much of a disaster that i don't think its possible for norv to fix this.

10. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Excellent analysis. Will rep you for this when I get a chance :tup:

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :yes: :yes: :yes:

12. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    Oh I hope not! I would think that vote of confidence would compel him to do even better. Maybe that's just my reaction to compliments.

13. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Thats why he is a [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Very well said, and more to point of what I was saying. Rep to follow:tup::tup:

15. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Truth hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I'm not gonna sit here and necessarily defend Norv because as the leader of this team he has his faults but like I said in a different thread....players have to take accountability. Refs have cost us at least one game and have had very controversial calls on some others, Items that are not Norv's fault but may have/definitely cost us games. jackson drop of a long pass for a probable TD, Keading's missed FG attempt, Cro relearning how to catch the ball that hit him in the hands and the biggest issue of all....Rivers learning to stop throwing interceptions in the red zone and learning how to hold onto the ball in traffic. If you were to take many of those issues we could easily have 3 more wins if not more. By my calculations that would give us somewhere around a 7-4 record (minimum) and put us in first place by 2 games and no one would be calling for Norv's head.

Now like I said earlier, Norv has made his mistakes and there is plenty blame to go around but if the players do what they are paid handsomely for.......:icon_shrug: Just saying.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I like the new defense. I thought against the Colts, watching the defense became fun again. I think the Team Morale blows and that comes down to the Coach. After that i think our Blocking has been terrible. Clary and Tolbert suck at run blocking.

Chargers lost their MOJO and now it seems like the fans are losing theirs. If there was ever a perfect time for a 105.3 pep rally it would be this weekend. Give them a big jolt and let them run the table. It's doable.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Good call!!!!!!!!!

19. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Come on...We could be 9-2 and there would still be some in here (who shall remain nameless) calling for Norv's head :lol: :yes:

But bottom line is, like Bill Parcells said "You are what you are." At 4-7 you aren't real good; for a team that is supposedly as talent-laden as this one, at 4-7 you are flat out horrible.

Right or wrong, the coach usually takes the fall since it's far easier to can one guy than half a team...

20. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Whats your point??????

21. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    True but who are we suppose to get? Seriously...who? Marty wasn't good enough because he couldn't win in the playoffs, Norv has no leadership, Cower took 15 years to win the big one and no one else out there is a proven winner that will guarantee bringing a championship to SD. Hell, Bellicheat failed last year after going 17-0. All the coach can do is put the team in the best position to play the team opposite you but in the end the players have to execute. That is where we fall short. We've had the chances to make the plays and change the outcome of games, our guys just haven't executed the plays for whatever reason. Until they play mistake free ball we will have threads like these for a long time.

I still predict we take the West. The Jets have to help us out and we are back on track. At some point this team has to stop getting demoralized and step up and put teams away early with no chance of losing within the last 30 seconds of a game. On the positive side, Rivera has us heading in the right direction.

22. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    Last Game - 11/23:
    INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: 23
    San Diego Chargers: 20
    Next Game - 11/30 1:05 p.m.:
    ATLANTA FALCONS

Dismal AFC West opponents keeping Chargers on life support

Nick Canepa (Contact)

Monday, November 24, 2008

A coach's job is to give his team the best chance to win, and Turner didn't do that.

Down 20-17 and driving, quarterback Philip Rivers completed a third-and-15 pass to tight end Brandon Manumaleuna that covered 13. Turner thought it was very close to the first-down marker, which probably would have meant he would run a play instead of going for the tying field goal from Nate Kaeding. So, he called a timeout with 1:35 remaining in regulation.

A coach on the sideline can't always see everything. Turner needed help from his people upstairs, and needed it quickly. He was two yards short. If he had known, he could have run much more clock – or force the Colts to use their final timeout – but in stopping it, he allowed Peyton Manning and the Colts just enough time to get in range for the winning field goal.

Communication, man.

At the end of the first half, after Indianapolis scored to tie it at 10, the Chargers, with three timeouts remaining, got the ball on their own 27 with 34 seconds to play. Turner called a running play to LaDainian Tomlinson that gained seven yards. Guess the Colts are without a jugular?

You have to put your foot to the throat. Turner didn't do it Sunday night. Clock management is the most overlooked thing in football.

That may seem a little thing, but little things turn to big things, and that's what this season has been for the Chargers: Little things here and there that have grown into a pile of manure.

And yet they are alive. I won't say it's sad but true, because if they were to win this division, they would deserve it. That's how it is sometimes.

“As coach (Bill) Parcells says, 'You are what your record is,' ” Smith says. “We can poke holes in that, but that's who we are. It's disheartening. Discouraging. But we are a very lucky football team.

“We have a chance. It's not mythical. It's not made up. It's right there. We're talking about a real football situation. We've had a chance to notch it up and failed, but let's deal in reality again. Do not fracture. Do not lose faith and hope. Nobody has said we're out of this, because it's true. We're not.”

This season is like Rasputin. Hard to kill.

23. SD Native WY

Ratings:
    +334
    I just watched the NFL network replay of Sundays game. There is no excuse for us not to of won the game.

The biggest reason we didn't win was coaching!!!!!! And our coach is a supposed offense GURU. I think not.

• Like Like x 1
  24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

:yes: :icon_evil:

25. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    At the start of the year we were often playing catchup and thus abandoned the ineffectual run to use the quality pass catchers we have. As the season has grown more desperate Norv has either pounded the middle of the line or thrown the bomb. This aint a guru - it's a coach trying not to lose as opposed to trying to win IMHO.

Example: on the 5 yd line vs Pitt, he tries not to lose the ball. Tries to get 3 downs out of the way so we can punt (that's what it seemed like). Are we the only team in the league that can't throw a quick slant when opponents load the box?

Where is Gates? screen to Sproles? half back option? A lot of execution has been poor, but put your weapons in a position to hurt the opposition.

We shouldn't be relying on a bad call or a dropped pass to beat garbage like Denver. Kansas?? - 1 play from maybe the most humiliating loss in history???

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We will find out about Norval after the final game. If that is in the deeper part of the playoffs, he gets one more season-unlikely. He is losing the players, and that is what will settle the matter, whatever AJ's druthers are.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    At this point in the season, with the possibility of gaining a game on the AFCW-leading Broncos, you're going to go conservative?

I'll agree that he's conservative-minded, but the decision to kick the FG, combined with poor clock management, was a gutless call. If we were 7-3 at that point with a 2 game division lead, it may have been a prudent choice. With the situation such as it was, it was yet another sign of a man who can't take the reins & lead. The players feel it & are reacting accordingly. Should they be mentally tougher? Probably - but very few, if any, of us have been in their shoes & can say what your reaction to this type of "leadership" would be.

I stand by the gutless comment. Until Norv proves me wrong, he's Auntie Norv 'cuz he's got no balls.

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    QFT

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Buck Melanoma again.

29. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...How in hell did this balless phuck graduate from the Gillman/Coryell school of offensive prowess. In Dallas he had Aikman, Emmitt, Irving, the Moose and a monstrous Oline. That's when his reputation became unjustly rewarded. He's not even a good OC as far as I'm concerned much less a Head Coach.

The Turds handed him a huge present last Sunday when they pounded the Donks...it opened the door a little wider. The game against Indy meant everything and the wuss should have gone balls out for a win. Instead he pulled up his skirt and did exactly what I thought he would do.

I wonder just how many of us here would gladly pay for a chance to biatch slap him right in his sissy face :icon_evil::icon_evil:

30. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    Everyone is missing the point here...

Norv is just making sure that the team does not peak too early.

By my estimation he will pull the trigger this week and they will win out all the way to the Superbowl!!!

:unsure::icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 2