1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This is Whitey time!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RipTheJacker, Jul 22, 2008.

1. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Champing at the bit

Summer is third-string QB Whitehurst's season
    By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    [​IMG]

Charlie Whitehurst is stuck in a moment, working for a day no one wants to see happen.

He wishes there were more, but he's actually fine with where he is for now. He's an NFL player, 25 years old, and has made more than a million bucks over the past two years.

Whitehurst worked along with the rest of the team's quarterbacks yesterday morning, throwing mostly to rookies in the Chargers' first workout of the summer.

It was the beginning of Whitehurst's favorite time of year.

“I get to be a football player,” he said.

Whitehurst, in two NFL seasons, has yet to throw a pass. He was not active for a single game last season. He took four snaps in 2006.

But in July and August, Whitehurst gets plenty of practice repetitions and then gets to play in exhibition games. Over the past two preseasons, Whitehurst has completed 44 of his 84 passes for 394 yards.

Whitehurst isn't complaining, but there aren't too many third-string quarterbacks who are satisfied with their position. He certainly is not.

“Right now, I am doing what I love – maybe not in the capacity I hoped, but as of now it's been good,” he said.

It's fortunate he feels that way, since he isn't going anywhere.

While other teams have inquired whether Whitehurst would be available for trade, and there might be increased interest as injuries occur around the league leading up to October's trading deadline, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith says Whitehurst will not be dealt.

“Not this year,” Smith said yesterday. “He's here.”

As for 2009, the final year of Whitehurst's contract, Smith said, “I couldn't tell you.”

Said Whitehurst of the possibility he could be traded: “I've heard some stuff. I try not to think about it. You're going to get an opportunity – here, there, wherever. . . . It's not where you want to be right now, but when the opportunity comes, I plan to be ready for it.”

Those who have worked with him the past two-plus years confidently declare Whitehurst will be ready when that day arrives.

“A lot of guys would get frustrated with the situation,” said backup quarterback Billy Volek. “I don't think he is. He's still grinding. He had a great offseason. He's continued to work hard. When he gets his chance he's going to do well.”

Last season, in his first year as head coach and offensive play caller, Norv Turner gave Whitehurst something to do on Sundays. Whitehurst gets each play from Turner and then calls it in to Philip Rivers. A big part of Turner doing that was to keep the young quarterback involved in the game, to give him experience calling plays and increase his understanding of the offense.

“Mentally, he is going to be way further ahead than your average guy who has sat two or three years,” Rivers said. “And I think he's got a knack.”

Whitehurst is strong-armed, perhaps the naturally strongest of the three Chargers QBs. And he can run a bit. While he has yet to throw a pass, he ran for a 14-yard touchdown against Tennessee in '06. And he is intelligent.

Rivers and he talk between series and in practices, often seeing the same things.

“We think a lot alike,” Rivers said. “Even though he hasn't played a lot, he's a smart guy. He's been a real positive for me.”

Rivers sat for two years before becoming the starter. So he and Whitehurst share that understanding as well.

“I know just what it is like,” he said. “It's tough every day. It's really hard mentally to stay zeroed in. I know the hardest thing for me was not practicing, not ever getting to call a play in a game. So I know he likes this time of year. This is his season to play.”

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    He compresses an entire season into the month of August. :icon_tease:

3. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Where is my damn Whitey sig????????

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    AJ may just be thinking, when Philip is ready for a new deal he has an ace in the hole. He did it before so whats to stop him from doing it again?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Depends on whether or not PR brings us the hardware. If Rivers is part of winning the Lombardi, PR will get his contract.

6. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    :yes:

A Super Bowl win this season gets Rivers rewarded with a contract extension to start the 2009 season. :tup:

7. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Rivers could go 1-15, but as long as he stays healthy, he will get an extension

Rivers is AJs boy, the guy he based his entire reputation on, no way he ever sees FA unless he has a serious injury (knock on wood)

• Like Like x 1
  8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Right where he belongs.Behind my Billy Volek sig. :icon_rofl:

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That may be the best BT post of this off season!! :tup: :icon_toast:

11. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Hater!

Atleast whitehurst has never been boo'd at home :no:

Whitehurst is the present and future :yes:
    [youtube]UdlemnigJ-s[/youtube]
    http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801f78d6

12. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    C.W. is weak... trade him for a 3rd or 4th round he is garbage

13. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Atleast we could get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him, what are we getting for #88 again? :icon_rofl:

14. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    easy # 1

15. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Nope sorry, we are getting exactly what he is worth, NOTHING :lol:

16. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Whitehurst will become our backup to Rivers after Volek goes next year to become Green Bay's stopgap starter. Rodgers and Brohm hit teh big sukk this season. :icon_tease:

17. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    I really dont understand why volek didnt go to mia this past year, he would of been the starter (for this year) ahead of John Beck and Chad Henne and probably made the same amount of money, if not more

18. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I can't figure out why you are knocking on wood. It could go either way.

:icon_rofl:

19. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96

We got a fumbled punt, 2 dropped passes and a playoff loss. thats what we get for EP88.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    How bout a better chance for a ring?

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Sounds like your hoping Philip get injured, thats bad karma dude.