1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This Just In...AJ Is Not Gawd

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Snipped from an SI.com article below. Maybe A.J is not gawd as some have trumpeted. Look at all that long-term brilliance there :no:

<<<The Chargers awarded long-term extensions to defensive end Luis Castillo, defensive backs Clinton Hart and Quentin Jammer, and linebackers Shaun Phillips, Matt Wilhelm, Stephen Cooper and Jyles Tucker. One of the few defensive cornerstones to whom they did not give a contract extension was Merriman, who has been selected to three Pro Bowls and is the most electrifying player on the team besides LaDainian Tomlinson.

By signing so many linebackers -- including Tucker, an undrafted free agent from Wake Forest who fills Merriman's spot on the outside -- the Chargers indicated they could replace Merriman and let him walk as a free agent after next season. But now that Merriman has spent three months on the sideline, his value has never appeared higher. "I think they knew my value before," Merriman said. "But some things in life can be taken for granted. ... I think it was just a situation where I was really taken for granted.">>>

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I never bought his cancer-curing piss anyway. :lol:

Do I want AJ gone? :no:

Do I want him to nut up & sack Norv? :yes:

Do I want him to extend Merriman? :yes: :yes:

And maybe, just MAYBE, address our lines via either QUALITY FA or high draft picks. PLEASE!!!!!!!

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Didn't Gawd take a day off in the bible? This is his day/season off. :lol:

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah - maybe GAWD's day off equals a pro football season. :icon_shrug:

Let's just hope it's ONLY one. :unsure:

5. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    we are talking like Merriman is on another team already, guess what we got plenty of money and time if we want to re-sign him

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We also have AJ seemingly holding on to bad feelings about Shawne and his off-field interests/activities. We have the extension of Jyles Tucker that came at a very interesting point in time, perhaps meant to send a message to SM.

You're right - he isn't gone & we can afford him. It mostly depends on AJ & Condon - both are pricks in their own right. Shawne's gonna play - I hope he remains a Charger.

7. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Who is we???????

8. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Sometimes Gawd works in mysterious ways that us mere mortals cannot understand. :yes:

9. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I usually try to get a stream on the Football preview show from the Foxsports network, the one Merriman is on. He seems to care a lot about the Chargers. I think Shawn wants to play in San Deigo and he would prefer his pay to match his on-field production. Let's face it Merriman is a beast - he belongs on the field. No matter the stunts he pulls, how many people he pisses off, or how many times management has to show him who's boss - he is still Shawn Merriman and I would love to see his carreer covered in bolts. Re-sign him and make the right call. Merriman belongs in San Diego. He just likes attention, that is all.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I didn't believe he was God but that he was Good
    I still think he's good but he's got alot of work to do

Btw there's also the angle with Merriman and LT being represented by Tom Condon whom AJ hates

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I hope loosing buddy nix doesn't hurt with our drafting this year. I think they have young spanos as head recruiter now. OH, boy!.

A.j. just has to look at reality. WE needs better lines. And norv either has to get the offense less predictable or he should leave.

12. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...First things first, NORV SHOULD LEAVE, PERIOD!!!

Losing Buddy Nix did hurt and will probably continue to hurt.

A.J. needs to stop blocking quality players who actually WANTED to come here. A great city with fantastic weather, a winning team, great chemisty, has been a draw for a few years now. If A.J isn't careful, the only draw to the Chargers would be the weather :icon_sad:

13. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    AJ could always run around buying overpriced FA's...

Look, AJ is putting a team together each season, and building for down the line. For me, do I want to see the team scramble every year to fill that next missing piece or do I want to see a team building on the draft and looking at a longer window of opportunity. Personally, I'm for going into each season with a chance as opposed to going into each season just plain hoping that a miracle happens.

14. SuperCharger85

SuperCharger85 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    IMHO AJ has drafted or traded for too many offensive skill players while ignoring both lines.

Davis
    Hester
    Chambers
    Whitehurst
    Chandler

You could also add Rivers, VJ, and McCardell, while letting Turner walk. Would the offence be any less dynamic than the Titans if all we had was a great O-line, LT, Turner, Sproles and Gates. I know it's a lot of hindsight but there is a trend of leaving the lower picks to try and fill in the beef.

15. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...But look at what he's been building for "DOWN THE ROAD". He's been locking up too many players who have yet to TRULY DESERVE IT. Olivea, Wilhelm, Tucker, Phillips, Hart, Castillo...can't think of the whole list off the top of my head. Some of the success acheived by some of these guys seems to be linked to Merriman. Without him they're floundering. A true quality player shouldn't be that adversely affected.

Olivea is gone but it delivered a cap hit. How many of these other guys might turn out to be duds and consequently hammer the salary cap again. I think some of his long term deals were done too quickly and most of the football people around the league were also scratching their heads.

Some quality leaders wanted to come to San Diego. What does he do, a grabs someone who was cut by his team but was dying to come here. Hello Derek Smith. If he wants to follow his idols blueprint for success, FOLLOW IT! The Patriots sprinkle in quality leadership and experience without sacrificing the development of young, drafted players.

Worse move A.J made or didn't make...getting phuckin stubborn with the suitors interested in Michael Turner. Anyone who has EVER watched the NFL draft knows that there are so many times a team will overpay in the pressures of the draft. A.J himself has overpayed when targeting someone. Green Bay, Buffalo, Tennessee and Atlanta were all interested in the Burner. A.J. was asking for a king's ransom so when no one bit, he got pissed and pulled him off the table. He made up his mind before the draft even started that Turner was no longer available. Now he'll get third round compensation for a young, pro bowl quality RB. Not a smart football move.