1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This Loss Goes On Norv

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdchrger, Sep 7, 2008.

1. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    This might end up being just what a cocky, arrogant team needs. We took the Panthers lightly and paid for it. I'm sure it will be a crushing defeat for those who predicted a 16-0 season. For the rest of us who only care about the Lombardi, this game will not factor much into it one way or the other.

That being said, we were completely out played by a less talented team today. In fact, we were lucky it was as close as it was. The Panthers were in mid-season form and we looked like we still thought it was pre season. Norv did not have his team ready to play this week and it cost us.

Hopefully, this will serve as notice to the coaches and players alike that if the don't won't to be traveling a lot in January they had better get their shiat together in September.

• Like Like x 3
  2. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    I was just saying this looked like a classic Norv loss. Unspired play calling, unispired D in the first half and just a let down of a game.

You are dead right, we're lucky they didn't blow our doors off and humiliate the heck out of us.

Norv better get the message and have them better prepared for next week.

3. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    We are very very bad right now....the D we put on the field is a joke, and i know others will see it differently...but in true we are lacking...:icon_shrug:

4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    the defense was utterly pathetic, i wouldnt go as far as to say this season will be a failure due to this loss, but i will say that this loss will hang over our heads for a while, i know im just fkn stunned.

go bolts. :bolt:

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Good post sdc! The boys will get it together. They've said all along that their goal is to get better each and every week. The Giants lost in week one last year as well.

6. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127

Really? uhh ok ummm if lost to the panthers how are we suppose to beat better teams like the colts, pats, or any of other teams. I'm sorry but we F*cking sucked *** plain and simple(exception of rivers). We better get our **** together because Cromartie didn't do ****, all this stardom is getting to his head. LT isn't proving anyone wrong 97 yards isn't acceptable. Merriman isn't the same. Wilhelm, smith and weddle can fall of the face of the planet and i wouldn't care and ted cotrell needs to read "How to not F*ck up with 2 seconds left for dummies". I'm done, i have no idea how i'm going to make through week.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,552
    I disagree completely. I think this loss goes on Cottrell and his "prevent from winning" defense he ran the entire game.

Norv called some questionable plays, but realized when it was time to put the ball in the air.

Cottrell was questionable from the first play to the last.

8. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I blame it on the lack of intensity in the preseason. We were too concerned with staying healthy and keeping our players fresh than getting ready to play and it carried over into the first game.

9. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    i blame that *** hole TC

10. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    DING DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!!! we played with no intensity and it showed, carolina isnt exactly playoff contender, but they arent the rams either, they can win their share, if this junk continues we can kiss our superbowl dreams good-fkn-bye :tdown:

11. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

The same way we did last year. You see, in the NFL, teams improve from week to week. Especially teams that are recovering from a bunch of injuries, and are still getting the starting groups in sync with one another. This was the first week in a long marathon, and the team will continue to improve as the season goes on. Last year we started 1-3, and a lot of us had to eat some crow when the guys made it to the AFC Championship game. It's a long season.

How do you make it through the week? Let's see, you go to work (or in your case school), you live your life, and there will be another game next Sunday. Keep the big picture in mind and enjoy the season. Don't live week to week, and you might have more fun watching the games:icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree with all of the above. A lot of blame to go around.

The team was not ready...that has got to go on the back of the coaching staff.

13. xerxes

xerxes BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    This loss isn't as bad as you think because the Panthers are a lot better than y'all give them credit for.

14. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I waited the whole fkin year for this and we lose with 2 seconds, i don't think i can "just" go to school. I'll probably hit someone if they bump into me , that'll probably help me

15. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

I will take this as acknowledgement that you have no idea how a NFL season works. The Giants didn't look like even a playoff team 10 weeks into the season last year. The Colts the year before lost to the Texans who were well below 500.

What happens in week one rarely predicts or has an impact on what occurs in the playoffs or Super Bowl.

I guess you didn't notice that Gates, Jamal, and LT had zero snaps this pre season and the rest of the starters had very limited snaps. Fox took a different approach with his starters and they played a ton during the pre season. That is probably why they looked in sync and we did not. As far as week one is concerned the Panthers did the right thing and we did not. Then again it's a long season and the goal is not to win in week one the goal is to win the Super Bowl.

That being said, Norv should have had this squad more prepared. I will guarantee you that if we would play the Panther 10 times in a row we would win 7 to 8 of them. Just not this week.

16. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I still think our short kickoffs are hurting us.

17. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    That's exactly my point. That is on Norv.

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,552
    Anytime you give up 26pts at home to an average offense to start with and then WITHOUT their best player, thats on the defense.

19. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I guess you didn't actually watch the game. The Panthers scored a TD on defense so our defense only gave up 19 points including only one touchdown.

20. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    well said. 17-18 weeks is a lonnnnng time. and anything can happen, look at the pats last year, they didnt win it all

21. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

The defense played soft in the first half, but still held them to field goals. Then they played much better in the second half until that last drive. The Panthers had a fumble go for a TD, and they capitalized on a rare shanked punt by Scifres. I thought that the defense played much better in the third and fourth quarters.

22. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    With all the preseason hype, injured stars and stars coming back from injuries I was expecting us to lose this one. I was expecting the team to be a bit off and a little rusty. Anyway I loved the second half and it leaves me really encouraged for the rest of the season. Remember a couple of years ago coming off the 12-4 season we opened up with Dallas? That's what this game reminded me of. However I think we already corrected ourselves and it's not going to take 4 games like it did that year.

Just like SDchargers said, this game shouldn't factor in the Lombardi.

23. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    The problem is Norv should realize that from the first play of the game when they are playing 8-9 in the box and dareing us to throw.:icon_huh:

24. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    defense wins games, trust me, offense is the compliment to a good defense, lack of intensity is because defense couldnt make enough stops (note, i didnt say couldnt make any stops, because they did.)

25. xerxes

xerxes BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I understand the lack of respect before the game, but seriously... y'all don't suck; we're just that damn good. Just wait till we get Steve Smith back, and I hope we get a chance at a rematch in the Super Bowl cause honestly I think it would end the same way.

26. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I like the Panthers and have spent most on the past 10 years in NC, but IMO they don't stack up with the Chargers. I welcome you to come back and debate this later in the year.

27. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Allow me to be a voice of reason here. While obviously this was a brutal loss, let's look at the facts:

1) PR played very well and put us in a position to win against a strong defense;
    2) Carolina is somewhat healthy. If you look at their track record they only seem to have problems when they have injury problems, as any team does;
    3) Not to minimize, but this is a loss against an NFC opponent. This will not affect tiebreakers anywhere down the line;
    4) We play in a crappy division. Honestly, does anyone who is not a troll here really think that the Raiders or Broncos are going to win the AFC West? If so, pass your drugs this way please :lol:

I'm not even going to address the injuries with Brady and Manning until we know more.

Bottom line -- RELAX FOLKS...things will be corrected, just like last year. Let's not panic. If we go to 0-3, then we'll have reason to worry.

That is all. :icon_mrgreen:

• Like Like x 1
  28. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Ha! ok well this is where you are dead wrong. Next time...We will have our Pro bowl C and our Pro bowl LT as far as i know you guys did not win the game with the pass(ironicly with the exception of the last one). We lost the game. I doubt a reciever will do much as jammer completely shutdown your number 1 reciver. Plus LT will get better runs when our probowlers from the o-line comeack.

29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,552
    We got lucky they gave up on the run every time they got near the endzone!

But to be fair the Gates TD had nothing to do with the defense.

30. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    See last year we didn't win the sb. There is no reason to start 0-1. If we don't get new ILB or wilhelm/weddle/smith/everybody works on there tackling we won't make it past the first round.