1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This makes me pretty stoked

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolts4lyfe, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Out of 150 WR rankings

#66 Vincent Brown
    #53 Malcolm Floyd (Should be in the late 30's IMO)
    #40 Eddie Royal
    #18 Robert Meachem

The 50 million dollar man Vincent Jackson Ranked #31

Out of 64 OLB's

#57 Travis Laboy
    #26 Antwan Barnes
    #18 Jarrett Johnson
    #17 Shaun Phillips

out of 64 DT's

#31 Antonio Garay
    #22 Cam Thomas

Out of 100 DB's

#87 Quentin Jammer
    #36 Antoine Cason

Out of 32 FS's

#1 Eric Weddle

Out of 40 Ilb's

#22 Donald Butler
    #11 Takeo Spikes

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    and these numbers are from where?

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Not sure about our corners, in fact I am more than worried about those guys but I truly believe our WR corps will be better this year. Esp if we can have Malcom play say 10 games.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Cam Thomas over Garay??

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I'm gonna bet this is from Bleacher Report or something completely uncredible.

Not that we don't have talent that people don't realize, I've argued that all along, but certain rankings there are very questionable.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Takeo Spikes at 11? Uhhhh yeah I wish this was real

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Maybe 10 years ago...

8. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Yeah we need a link to the source of these numbers. ;)

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    This Guy who writes reports NFL1000, I guess he is a senior writer and yes you can find it on bleacher report (which is like being the smartest ra-tard) but before all the "rubble rubble's" come out hear this out

http://bleacherreport.com/nfl1000-series

"rankings don't assess who had the best year, or even who has the most potential. Rather, players—in this case, outside linebackers—are judged on their current skills and mechanics, based on film study of the 2011 NFL preseason and regular season only."

Obviously somebody who was studying game film on these players saw the #18th best receiver in Meachem, They saw a guy who may not be the No.1 target so he's not going to catch 80 for 1500 yrds with 12 TD's but they saw a guy when opportunity knocked he answered

same with Cam Thomas over Garay, maybe on film with less playing time Thomas looked better, Maybe they saw what the coaches see with Thomas a guy who will eventually step up and succeed the NT spot, I mean they bring back Garay for 2 years for 1.5 then 5 mil (which he'll never see ) tells me Thomas is in their long term plans

I mean if lets say somebody more credible who watched the same film for hours and told you out of 64 OLB's Laboy was only better than 7 of them you'd believe it right? or some may say that that is too high:D

10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    [​IMG]

11. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Jackson at #31 and Royal at #40? haha

12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    So, it's a purely subjective analysis without any information describing why each rank ordering was made. That's something to hang your hat on...

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031

18. Robert Meachem, San Diego Chargers

Agility 9

Meachem shows the quick hips and feet to dominate in space and on the edge.

Blocking 9
    A strong stock blocker who will come off the ball and strike with a balanced, controlled punch.

This goes on through all the different categories

Health 10

Vision 8

Yards after catch 3

Speed 10

Route Running 7

Catch in traffic 7

Hands 7

Release 7.5

Overall 77.5

Robert Meachem has made his living as one of the best deep-ball receivers in the NFL. He brings a good combination of speed and agility to extend his routes, pushing secondaries off the ball, which allows him to create separation for big catches down the field.

Vincent Jackson

Agility 7

Blocking 4

Hands 6

Release 9

Route Running 9

Catch in traffic 9

Yards after catch 4

Overall 74

Vincent Jackson has top-level talent, but his play dropped off at times in 2011. He needs an injury-free season in 2012 for Tampa Bay and better control with his hands over the middle and up the seam.

• Old Old x 1
  14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    This is a stupid scale as it puts equal value on Agility, Blocking, Hands, Release, Route Running, Catch in Traffic, Speed, YAC, Vision (as in, ability to see), and Health.

Granted, in a case like Megatron where his game is perfect, this makes sense, but for all of the other receivers, you're just assigning an arbitrary value to these attributes. Example, Welker got a 7 for hands for dropping balls when he turned up the field too soon, whereas Megatron got an 8 for missing some easy balls. Welker also got a 10 for speed because he has burst, when this isn't a speed factor.

You can't just add these factors up and say that whoever has the highest cumulative score is the best receiver. If you want to create a system like this, you need to weight the attributes according to their importance. For example, Hands, Release, Route Running, and Catch in Traffic are wildly more important than any of the other attributes.