1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This Team Will be Better than Last Year's

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Sep 27, 2010.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It's hard to say after yesterday's crushing defeat to an inferior team, but I really believe this team will be better than last year's 13-3 team. It's pretty obvious that through three weeks, both our run defense and pass defense are much improved from last year. Offensively, our running game looks to be much improved, and Rivers is still slinging it around like he always does. Penalties, turnovers and special teams breakdowns are all fixable. Once this team stops beating itself it is going to be scary good.

We really should be sitting here at 3-0 talking about how we have not played a good team yet. Instead, we sit here at 1-2 pissed off. But at least we are not being beat physically. It's not like the Bolts have been dominated physically or athletically. Once they stop beating themselves, the Bolts are going to start dominating people.

2. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Appreciate you being a blind fan (thats admirable) but nothing about your post makes sense other than the fact we have gotten lucky to dig ourselves out of early season failure before.

Your point about this team being better is very flawed. A point being made that history can repeat itself, might be valid.

3. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Right on BB, I get the sense that this team very well could be better than last years version too, and wouldn't be surprised to see it come to fruition.

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I agree, I think the defense is much improved from last year. If it wasn't for the Special teams messing up, we could have been 3-0. I still think this team is going to win the AFC West too. Doom and gloomers, BE PATIENT. Remember the comeback from 2-3 last season winning 11 straight and sweeping the NFC East AND coming back to tie the Broncos at 8-8 2 seasons ago winning the west again. This team is real good (except for Special Teams) Fix that and this team is going to dominate with Mathews getting into the groove. Let's just demolish those Cards this Sunday!!! :)

5. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I dunno. We came within an inch of giving up a big td before forcing a fumble. That was really close. We also got lucky Seattle couldn't figure out how to watch the clock at the end of the first half. They have a lot of work to do. Maybe they can get it together, or maybe they just don't. I think they need a team psychiatrist.

6. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I dont think you can make those assumptions based on the knowledge at hand. How can you say our run game is better than last year when we havn't even had a player run for 100 yards yet! There are some incouraging signs, but I wouldnt say its better than last year yet.

Last years team didn't seem to make as many simple mistakes that we seem to be making so far this year!

I think I'll reserve judgement till nearer the end of the season. I hope your right in the end.

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Odd timing for this thread. I thought it was a bumped thread when I first saw it on the post search.

Not that I'm saying your wrong, though. :lol:

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    We were 2-3 after week six last year. I'm sure there were plenty of mistakes

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    There's nothing blind about my fandom. Last year's team was extremely flawed. We had a great passing game, a horrible running game and a middle of the road defense. This year's team has improved along both fronts. The running game is vastly improved. And both the run and pass defense has shown marked improvement. If the Chargers stop beating themselves, they will be scary.

If you look at the way the Bolts have played through the first three weeks, it's clear that this team has the potential to exceed last year's. They just need to execute the fundamentals--staying in their lanes on kick returns, holding onto the ball on offense and avoiding stupid penalties. It's really that simple. The Chargers have the difficult stuff down. Now they just need to focus on the fundamentals.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    boltssbbound isn't too far off here, really.

The Chargers' main problems in their two losses were horrible special teams coverage and ball control.

While those are two huge issues if they don't fix them they are, nevertheless, masking what has been good play in other areas of the game.

They obviously need to fix these two issues or they'll be lucky to finish 8-8, but if they do I tend to agree with boltssbbound that they'd be scary.

I'm not forming a stance on what will happen either way, here, however. I'm just saying, if they fix the ball control and special teams issues they'll definitely be better than last year by season's end and have a legit shot in the playoffs for the ultimate goal.

11. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The running game was terrible last year, averaging 88 yards per game and 3.3 yards per carry. This year we are averaging 116 yards per game and 4.4 yards per carry. That's a vast improvement.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'm going to say this: we will win the AFC West and head to the playoffs (again). Not going to guarantee what happens after that. KC has a tough stretch of games AND they have to come back here Dec 12th. It's not how you start, it's how you FINISH! Ask the Donkeys 2 years ago.....:cool2:

13. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'm going to predict right now that we will win the AFC West and advance farther in the playoffs than we did last year. After three weeks, we are 1st in total offense and 4th in total defense. The Bolts are close to putting this together. With McNeill coming back, the offense will only get better.

14. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    This team should get to the Playoffs on talent alone...I cant see us getting to the superbowl under Norv Turner thou. I hope I'm wrong..I really do!

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    This years edition of the Bolt's needs to be better than any before it. Anything less than a Lombardi is a failure in my eyes. I do believe they have the talent, but you can have the finest ingredient in the world and if you don't know how to cook it's just a waste. The coaching staff needs to enforce their will on the players and make something happen.

16. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I agree. It's all about execution. The youngsters on special teams have **** the bed. It's time to give some starters like Jammer and Siler a crack at kick coverage. I read a quote from a player personnel guy that said good special teams players are the hardest to predict, because it's as much about mentality as it is talent.

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Hell, put Rivers on kick coverage. At least you know he can tackle! :lol:

18. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    No F-N way we are better in 2010 than 2009's 13-3 team.:tdown:

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    That 13-3 team was 2-3 at one point and had this forum flooded with doom and gloom threads/posts early in the season similar to the ones we're seeing right now.

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yeah, if you look at last year's team, they barely beat Oakland to start the season, then lost 3 of 4 and were absolutely dominated by the Steelers. With the exception of a few turnovers and the special teams breakdowns, this year's squad is playing much better. If they correct the mistakes, it will all become obvious. This year's team is much better.

21. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    We have officially accepted slow starts as long as they pan out.

The Norv era is in full swing.

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    This team's a mess right now.

eom

23. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    The LBs are dropping like flies. I look forward to seeing Applewhite get lots of playing time. I really rate this guy. Yet another new snapper, Teal back, Brinkley back to PS and they are not finished yet. Crazy.

24. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    ...and Darnell Dockett is gonna eat Tyronne Greene's lunch this weekend.

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Huh? I'm not happy about the slow start. But we all kind of have to accept it. I mean it's reality. You can pretend that we are not 1-2. But we are.

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    One thing's for sure... we're a much better defense with Brandon Siler in there.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Who's accepting anything?

I'm just not writing off the season and pointing at past seasons as proof positive that the season isn't over just because they're 1-2 right now.

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    QTF

Make no mistake, people are pissed. We just have seen this movie before and know the slow start doesn't spell impending DOOM for the rest of the season.

29. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Doesn't matter if the 13-3 team was 2-3. That team was just struggling. This 2010 team is NOT better. Some people seem to think it's the same Chargers team, but it's not. Mostly the same players, but not the same team. 2010 team is not better. We have got 4 more losses coming this season for sure, better hope there isn't more.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Again. Your assessment is predicated on the assumption that they will continue playing in future games this season as they have in the past 3 games.

edit: Well, it's really predicated on the assumption that they will continue to play in future games this season as they did in weeks 1 and 3 since there really wasn't much of a problem in week 2 save a few first quarter INTs.

You have nothing to base that assumption on other than pessimistic doubt.

And there is nothing for sure about the rest of this season's games. Just because the opponents are tougher doesn't mean the results are already recorded.