1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This time, LT can contribute against Steelers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Tod Leonard
    Union-Tribune Staff Writer
    September 30, 2009

SAN DIEGO – LaDainian Tomlinson has a chance to make a difference in the outcome of the Chargers' game in Pittsburgh on Sunday, and that's a far better option than the last time he stood on the turf at Heinz Field.

Out with an injured groin, Tomlinson quietly agonized on the sidelines during January's AFC divisional playoff game, won 35-24 by the Steelers, who allowed San Diego only 15 rushing yards on 12 attempts.

After sitting out the past two games with a sprained ankle – the first regular-season games he has missed in his career – Tomlinson returned to practice Wednesday and gave every indication he is ready to take on the Super Bowl champions.

“I want to play in this game,” said Tomlinson, who participated in the full practice and deemed his ankle to be “feeling pretty good right now.”
    He said the key would be how the ankle bounces back after the workout.

“You gain confidence by practicing,” Tomlinson said, “and so today was a good measuring stick for where I am.”
    Tomlinson hurt his ankle in the first quarter of the season opener against the Raiders, but remained in the game until the fourth quarter and ended up with 55 yards on 13 carries for a 4.2-yard average. In his absence, Darren Sproles (90 yards) and Michael Bennett (37) have averaged a worrisome 2.6 yards per carry.

The Chargers rank next-to-last in the NFL in average rushing yards per game (66.3) and are tied for last with Chicago in average yards per rush (2.8). How poor is that? There are 20 teams in the league averaging 4 yards or better.

“Anywhere I can help this team, I'm willing to do it,” Tomlinson said.

2. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I wish he'd sit out another week. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Translation: "I know my ankle's not ready yet but my will to play outweighs my understanding that this could hobble me for the remainder of the season."

Word.

4. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Agreed

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Exactly. He wants to play because its the Steelers, but if we were playing Cleveland or Detroit this week he wouldn't even consider playing. He's miss one more game, go into the bye week, and come back 100% vs Denver.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    This is actually humerous...

Can someone point out one game LT has NOT wanted to play in? One? End of 07 he suffers a knee injury and several fans start calling him a P*SSY. last season he plays through injuries, and is still the 10 leading rusher in the league, in his worst season as a pro, and everyone calls him washed up.

Now we have people wanting him to not play, and questioning him because of his desire to play... Does this seem off to anyone else? I think he should want to play. This is the same player that has played with broken thumbs, ribs etc... Is he 22 again, no, but he is still doing everything he can to help the Chargers.

And matlilack ol'boy, history shows you are incorrect. LT wants to play every game, still does. Regardless of if it is Detroit or whom ever. NFL teams do not look over teams like Detroit, just ask the Redskins.

Enormo, typically you are a hoot, every post funny. Lately, not so much. Tell me, is there any play that could not leave ANY player on the field hobbeled for the season? Heck, maybe we shouldnt field anyone, they might get hobbeled... Look across the NFL you will see teams with players on IR already. It happens, it is a contact sport. How many games should LT sit out to give you all a warm comfy feeling that he wont risk beng hobbeled? 2, 7, all? Maybe Miami shoud have kept Pennington on the bench, at least then he wouldnt have been hobbeled...

Get the irony of your statement? You are concerned that him playing might get him hurt. No duh. It is football, that can happen to anyone on any play. How many of us had a pucker factor of 10 on our brown stars this last game when Rivers looked hurt. Anyone saying that he shuldnt play because he can get hobbeled?

LT, play, prove the doubters wrong...

7. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Because of the importance of the Bronco game, I could see him sit. I hadn't considered that the bye should benefit even if he plays. Only the team, and especially him knows how the ankle feels.

There is no doubt this game is big too though, with an AFC playoff calibur opponent, they will bring it clawing and scratching not to fall to 1-3 behind Baltimore.

Bottom line Rivers will find a way to keep us in it, but I like our chances for a few more TD's instead of FG's with #21 back there.

8. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Excellent post! Couldn't have said it any better. LT is a football player and he needs to be in there helping this team win against the Stealers!!!

I hope he's 100% and that he comes out of it w/out being hurt, but we need every win and he can help us.

Go LT!!!

Later

9. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    It's football guys. No one is at 100% during the season. So if you can go out there to help the team then do it. I can't believe how soft the NFL has become where any aliment calls for a player to sit out multiple games. If it's not very serious then get the hell out there and play already.

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I wish the ankle is fine and he rushes for 120 yds and 2 TDs in a Chargers win :tup:

11. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I think you're lumping a bunch of different arguments onto a single persona. It's convenient for rant material but that's about it.

A few things things I believe that you might agree with about LT:
    1.) LT is not a P**sy
    2.) LT is very durable
    3.) LT is productive even when hurt
    4.) LT's tank is far from empty
    5.) LT would most likely be productive against the Steelers.
    6.) LT wanting to play is not a knock against his person, professional or otherwise

A few things I believe that you might disagree with:
    1.) Comming back too soon from an injury can agrivate an injury for a longer period of time. LT said so much about his situation last season.
    2.) The upcomming bye week provides an exceptional opportunity to avoid the scenario above: Two weeks of healing with LT only missing a single game. A bargain in my book.
    3.) Personal drive can sometimes hurt long run physical performance.
    4.) The Bolts' toughest divisional competition will be from the Donkos. Doubling up on them (the game after the bye and then 5 games later) would go a long way to get a team struggling with injuries into the playoffs. LT's ankle should be as close to 100% as he can be for this first meeting.

A few things that I don't believe and I don't care whether you believe or not:
    1.) I am not a hoot. I am more of a pip.
    2.) All players of every team should never play football until the Superbowl.
    3.) Superbowl participants should be decided by the combination of a twelve sided die roll and a high-school popularity contenst.
    4.) The die should NOT to be rolled by Chad Pennington. That would be as insane as playing him in a regular season or playoff game.
    5.) The high-school popularity contest should come in the form of a steel cage death match featuring light sabers and shoes.
    6.) The Superbowl should be two minutes in length and should only consist of field goals and timeouts. Any other play should be considered a penalty whereupon the Superbowl should be canceled for the year and all NFL players should be housed in hyper-sleep chambers until Ripley is able to eject the alien with acid for blood from the escape pod.
    6.) This scenario in no more or less ludicrous than the one your foisted upon me in the parent post.

Good day, Sir.

I SAID, "GOOD DAY!"

• Like Like x 2
  12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Foisted? Foisted... To be the victim of a Foist, you would first have to accept what I posted, and it does not sound as if you do. Ergo, your use of the term Foisted is eronious... Slanderous, and not at all pipalicious!

OK, so to break it down...
    Group 1
    1) Agree
    2) Agree
    3) Agree
    4) Agree
    5) Agree
    6) Agree

Group 2)
    1) Agree, do not think that is the case.
    2) Agree and disagree. The buy week is great coming when it does, I do not see a reason to hold LT out if he, the Coaches, and the Medical staff say he can go. We are not talking about LT in a vacuum making the choice.
    3) Ummm... Pendulum... It swings... back aqnd forth, to and fro...
    4) I think LT will be fine for the Donks either way. If he and everyone else has cleared him, then we play him. I am not sure the Chargers can afford to keep players on the sidelines. 3-1 looks a hell of a lot better than 2-2 the way the Chargers have been playing, in my opinion.

Group 3)
    1) Could you define pip for the studio audience?
    2) Some dont... Heck look at Crabtree...
    3) I an not sure d12 is the best option, I would say at least 2 d20 or a d100 would be a better option...
    4) Chad Pennington earned the right to roll the dice based on being a two time comeback player... At least thats what he said...
    5) Who gets the light saber?
    6) Again, foul for 'Foisted'. The poitn is valid. LT or any player on any play can be hobbled. One week, two weeks, or a year, it reamins the same.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I love LT's heart!!!

Just keep yourself healthy, cause we're going to need you in the late games and playoffs!!!

14. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Why? If he feels good and can play why would you want him to sit? Everything I've heard says that he looks good. I don't think it was that bad of an injury if he was able to play after the injury. If it was bad, he wouldn't of been able to play.

15. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I agree 100%!!

I'm pretty certain that it wasn't a severe sprain. I've had severe sprains and I can tell you that you can't walk let alone run. The guy still played after he sprained it which tells me that it wasn't that bad. I'm sure that he's healed enough to play. I doubt that two more weeks is going to make that much of a difference.

It almost seems like fans want him to sit out the entire season just to see him healthy in the post season. Screw that. I want LT to start getting in a groove.

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If LT is fine and not hobbled then I'm all for it, I just don't see no sense in taking one for the team. I know the dude is a warrior and I love to watch his game but I also want him there at the end. He is a difference maker, nuff said.

17. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Me too! :yes:

18. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Good point, Conc. I think we should have some faith in the guy, I'm sure he knows his own body better than any of us, so I doubt he'll push himself beyond reasonable limits, it's early in the season, we don't want to lose him.

19. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Foist... to introduce or insert surreptitiously or without warrant.

I didn't read the rest of your post but I largely agree with it.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :lol: :tup:

21. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    LT will be fine if the freaking O-line will do their job!

22. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Turner expects LT to play
    By Kevin Acee
    October 1, 2009, 4:40 p.m.

Hopefully a smoke screen.

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There are six degrees of Sprain. The last two frequently result in amputation. The second two can end in surgery or at least a season on IR. The second is like six weeks. The first is ready to play about now for LT. If it was a first degree sprain he can play. If it was a second degree, he might be ready, but it could be risky. We are speculating on something the Chargers never reveal. Based on the current reports, he can probably play safely. We need the dude.