1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

This tweet made me very sad

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Pete Damilatis ‏@PFF_Pete1m
    How good was the Broncos O-line vs SD? Peyton's 8.3% pressure rate was his lowest in a game since 2009.

I know the Chargers were hurt going into the game and Denver had a week to get everyone as healthy as could be expected. But man... If this doesnt say we need a pressure person (I say NT) then I dont know what does.

2. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +73
    A NT and a young big and fast pass rusher opposite melvin ingram. Jarret Johnson is better as a run stopper

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +235
    We actually did pretty decent for such a lack of pressure. But I think that had to do with Peyton holding back from throwing deep balls due to the wind, seems like had it be in SD we would have been routed. He made the defense bleed with the dink and dunks.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Addae is for real and only going to become feared crossing into his responsibility, DUCK!!!!. Te'o, I have no clue on yet, may blossom out but needs to get with the show yesterday. That S.C. boy, Jeridue (SP) might could grow into the DT position and Jumpy's grandson may end up outside wrecking havoc from places unknown. We'll see, but I can dream.

5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Lissemore was badly missed. He was missed last week against Cincy too, if it wasn't for Andy Dalton.

I do think we need another NT, but whoever we get, will be included in a heavy rotation. Since Lissemore took over the job at NT, he only played in 40% of the snaps.

6. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    NT isn't normally where QB pressure comes from. That position is normally more of a run stuffer and ties up blockers to free others to create pressure. If they can pressure the pocket, great, but those guys are even harder to find.
    Do we need a more dominant NT, or at least someone talented to put in the rotation? IMO, absolutely, but not for the purpose that you stated.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    In the 3-4 you need a NT that can force double teams to allow the blitzing LBs more room to pressure the QB.

8. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +44
    You are correct Sir. If you look at the upcoming draft class you'd be hard pressed to find anyone comparable to a Curly Culp or Jamal Williams. Look at the 10 best defenses this season. 7 out of the toop 10 were a 4-3. It's easier to build a rotation for a strong 4 man defensive front than to find that special NT.

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    And good ones are few and far between....... another reason for the popularity of the 4-3 scheme.

Edit: Oops....... some newbie beat me to it. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Double teams yes. But qb pressure isnt the only reason for commanding double teams. Your post that I initially responded to sounded like you expected qb pressure from the NT, not that the NT creates mismatches for LB's. My apologies if I misunderstood. I stand by what I said.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,223
    No NT is the where the pressure starts, but it is only to allow other elements to attack.

No apologies required. No harm no foul....