1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This year's draft has been a total bust so far...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Pretty sad that this was a draft we were counting on. Goes to show you can't just plug holes with 3rd and 4th rounders. It takes time to develop talent. It's also been a while since we had a really solid draft class.

I give Mathews a bit of a mulligan because of the pretty bad ankle injury...but our running game is barely any different than it was a year ago. Further, we have fumbled at an alarming rate and in crucial situations which takes some getting used to after having a back who almost never fumbled. Our backs, including Mathews, are also very average receivers and have been terrible so far in picking up blitzes (ref: the Rams game)

1 12 12 Ryan Mathews RB Fresno State
    Seems like he's been running at 3/4 speed since ankle injury. He probably should have sat for a couple of weeks. Hope to see him healthy but wouldn't be surprised if he is slowed all year given how bad that injury looked. Has a lot of work to do in pass protection, pass catching and ball security.

2 3 15 79 Donald Butler LB Washington
    IR'd. We'll see if he can come back next year.

3 4 12 110 Darrell Stuckey DB Kansas
    One of the biggest dissappointments so far. Doesn't look like he'll be an impact player any time soon.

4 5 15 146 Cam Thomas DT North Carolina
    Looks in over his head when he's playing and a downgrade from Garay. Not overly bullish on his prospects for being a part of this team long-term.

5 5 37 168 Jonathan Crompton QB Tennessee
    Bust. Cut. Should have looked for a good ST contributor at this spot

6 7 28 235 Dedrick Epps TE Miami (FL)
    Should have looked for a good ST contributor at this spot

2. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Drafts need to be evaluated at least three years after they are completed. It's just too soon to tell.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I agree with you mostly, except on Mathews.

Mathews - Has had 1 bad game.....other than that he's averaged over 5ypc, and everyone was complaining about how he wasn't getting teh ball enough just 1 week ago. This kid is the real deal, we need to focus on getting him 20 carries per game.

Butler - Shame he got hurt, nothing you can do about that.

Stuckey - Awful draft pick. Kid was supposed to be a STs ace at the very least, and I've yet to see him on the field.

Cam Thomas - A work in progress, but you can hardly justify taking Anonio Garay off the field right now who is playing like a PRO BOWLER....thats right, I said PRO BOWL.

Crompton - We got high praise from almost everyone for drafting this kid, I understood the logic in trying to replace Volek, nobody could have predicted how truely awful he'd be.

Epps - Awful, stupid, dumb retarded pick. I hated it at the time, I hate it now, we should have drafted Blount who looks like a true workhorse for the Bucs right now.

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    somebody tell me how many 2010 draft picks have taken their teams over the top on the road to the SB

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    ROOKIES! Never expect a rookie to contribute. I am an Epps homer because he is from the "U". As for QB's... crapshoot.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    No kidding.

Stuckey is the only one I'm really frustrated with, at some point he has to at least be ACTIVE for a game.

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    STFU! :lol: Another Blount lover. We did not need another RB. Epps could have been ok given time. We are so Gates focused that if he were to disappear then we would be screwed. Epps is now on the Dolphins practice squad.

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    If the rookies we got this year clean up thier injury issues and the rest learn this group will make us better in the years ahead. WEre really missing butler more than anyone. Matthews will eventually get organized and do well. The rest are just in the development mode now.

Rookies rarely contribute alot. They need at least one year to get adjusted to being in the nfl.

9. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Eric Berry, Earl Thomas, Dez Bryant and C J Spiller have all made significant impacts for their teams

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    JESUS it's been 7 fuggin' weeks, settle down and give these guys a chance. FACK

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    None of those players are going to the Super Bowl. :lol:

And the only reason 2 of them might be in the playoffs is because they play in ****** divisions.

edit: And before you respond, I hardly think a team accomplishment says that much about an individual player's worth, but you were responding to the post "somebody tell me how many 2010 draft picks have taken their teams over the top on the road to the SB"

12. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    are any of those teams destined for the SB this year?

Dallas 1-5
    Seattle 4-2
    Buffalo 0-6
    KC 4-2

just sayin

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    YEAH!!

14. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    The last draft I had some real hopes for, but Stuckey can't even get on the field with the likes of our safeties? Disappointing. Garay is a scrap heap reclamation guy and Thomas can't displace him? Mathews is playing the easiest college to NFL transition position and he isn't exactly pushing for rookie of the year. Safe to say most of us expected more.

The bigger truth is AJ's drafts haven't been getting it done for a long time. Yes, the Rivers draft was gold. But go to the next group: Cro, Merriman, VJ. We got what, 1-3 great seasons out of these guys? Maybe AJ is snakebit, or maybe better due diligence woulda uncovered Merriman was on roids, Cro was an off the field disaster and won't tackle, VJ was a 'me first' guy. Don't know, just know we didn't get enough from them. McNeil is the best of the litter and he's MAYBE a top 10 pass blocking LT on his best day, and his poor run blocking compromises our running game.

The bigger problem, the next level down is mediocre at best. Castillo, Cason, English, Vasquez, Buster Davis, Hester, Weddle. Not one star or star in the making there. And several of these guys cost us multiple draft picks.

Further, the underwhelming drafting is compounded by the philosophical refusal to touch anything CLOSE to a decent free agent. The result is a talent drain, a part of what's contributing to the decline this year.

And still under the rug is Smith's selection of Norv Turner as head coach.

I'd love to believe we rip off nothing but wins the rest of the year but I didn't see that type of team before the injury run at LB and WR, so it's impossible for me to see it now. This has 'lost season' written all over it and it is likely to be followed by another lost season over the CBA next year. Smith has long ago lost the luster on his rep established in that Rivers trade, except for a highly vocal personal fan club screaming from the mountaintop on every Chargers forum. Perhaps the talent is better than it looks under Turner, perhaps Turner is wasting it, not developing it properly. If so, Smith needs to jettison him before he takes Smitty down with him. The spotlight is bright on both now, and neither is looking so golden now under it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    This.

16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Completely agree. RM is taking way too much heat right now. Benching him is ******* idiotic.

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The biggest knock against him I have heard is that he can't pick up the blitz.

18. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I have heard he can't pick up the blitz, can't catch, can't hold on to the rock, he's impantient and misses holes, and is injury prone.

He's also averaging 4.7 YPC.

19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Good post.

I have to think as fans we have become a bit jaded recently. When we look back at the lean years, we did not expect much, if anything, at all. The mantra for those fans who lived that era was "just beat the Raiders". A lot of Chargers fans like to forget those times. I know you are old enough to remember.

Fast forward to today and we have a team who we expect to be in the playoffs. That is a far cry from the head coaching carousel we had in Al Saunders, June Jones, Mike Riley. Harland Svare was bad enough in the 70's.

I ask myself knowing the history of this team, if I have become complacent to say we are a playoff team and cross the fingers for the best. I'd like to think the answer would be no to complacency. Anything less than a Lombardi is dogshiiitt.... a failure in my book.

However, AJ is about to surpass Sid Gilman in wins faster than Sid. That speaks huge volumes when you put it into perspective.

Ownerships committment to stay in San Diego is my biggest concern with this team. Historically, the Chargers are right up against the cap. This un-capped year with the 8th highest ticket prices, we have the 8th lowest payroll. Rumors have surfaced the Spanos Construction companies are using the team as a cash cow. That presents certain conflicts of interest in this fans mind and that is a bigger problem than anything being discussed here or anywhere if true.

20. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Same

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Next year I want AJ to only draft guys who are guaranteed to be stars from day 1. This waiting around stuff is total bullshiit.

(insert appropriate smilie if I could but I can't bc smilies suck here)

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Werd!

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    4.7! Is that all! Cut the hack! He should be averaging 54.3!

24. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Glad you agree that the smilies suck here.

(insert that little smilie of the fingers pulling mouth to the side and tongue sticking out... kind of like the neener neener smilie... but smilies suck here so can't do it)

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :icon_finger: :tounge: :censored:

You cant do those, or you dont now how?

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :eek:

:bananafinger:

:bananasmoke:

Ahhh... that's better.

:nana_dance:

But...

Where's the :chargerssuck: smilie?

:icon_tease:

27. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    what about T Mays instead of D Stuck huh nickle?

28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Darrell Stuckey is a midget compared to Mays. Yeah, we should've taken him for sure. You saw him at the pre-season game... so you know how they compare. Mays would be a pro bowl special teamer at minimum. Does Stuckey even have a tackle yet?

29. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    AJ drafts the best talent he can. It's not his fault these players cant make plays. If AJ picked them then that means these players are not playing to their AJ potential, for if he sees potential it is there!

100% blame the players for not making plays.

30. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    AJ drafts the best talent he can. It's not his fault these players cant make plays. If AJ picked them then that means these players are not playing to their AJ potential, for if he sees potential it is there!

100% blame the players for not making plays.