1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Thought crossed my mind midway through last season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by -Scar-, Apr 8, 2011.

1. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    i missed the first half due to legal issues..but I noticed Mike Tolbert and it seriously made me think...why not just keep Mike and put Ryan out for trade bate...just to see what we can get...last time we had a power back like him was Mike Turner and we all see how he turned out...

The only reason this became such a serious thought was because Ryan isnt looking good to me as far as durability..I have a serious question about his toughness and durability...

premature? yeah...maybe..

crazy? I dont think so...I like the idea of having a bruiser like Tolbert rather than Mathews who Im not so sure of what he is at all...

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Its not only about injuries, its about how you get injured. Remember the high ankle sprain came when he was pushed backwards over a pile of 300lb linemen. I'd be more concerned if he were getting concussions, broken ribs, hamstring pulls, hip strains etc... (basically the Brian Westbrook workup). It would be a sign that maybe he can't take the beating in the NFL. Lets also not forget that Norv flat out didn't use the kid a few times even when he was healthy, he opted to run big fat Tolbert headlong into the heaviest D-line in the league......thats just the bad coaching we've come to expect.

Also it would be like AJ declaring the pick a bust. Yet another failed 1st round pick to add to the stockpile that already contains Sammy Davis, Buster Davis, Shawne Merriman, Antonio Cromartie, and probably Larry English. Not to mention how the hell would we ever get fair return value if after 1 year we're looking to deal the guy???

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Also, we'd essentially be trading RM for a draft pick that wouldn't be as high as the pick (technically pickS) that we invested in him, but we'd probably do that only to turn around and use a draft pick on another running back because this isn't a solo-back league anymore. And the course of action just described is dumb, dumb, dumb.

The reason why I say this is a multi-back league these days is that even the Burner - if you watched him in Atlanta last season - started to fade down the stretch because the team was riding him so hard and at the rate he's going - particularly alarming considering how few carries he accumulated in his first 4 years, with us - he's going to still hit the 30-year-old wall and he might even hit it prematurely. Also, Tolbert's running style lends itself to probably getting his bell rung at least two more times in his career.

This would also be a terrible year to try and get any value out of either back because it's a deep running back class - not necessarily among "elite" Peterson type backs but among the very serviceable feature back sorts - and not very many teams actually need starters.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I don't know if I'd label Merriman a bust. We still got a few very good years out of him.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    A bust is Vernon Gholston who never did anything for the Jets
    Merriman is like Lavar Arrington, played very well for a bit then just crashed. Bust doesn't match what they are

I just call them comets, burn bright for a little then fade out

And no trading of RM

6. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Ryan Mathews isn't going anywhere, a high ankle sprain early in his rookie season has people looking for the "Eject" button way too soon. Tolbert has developed into a good back, but as has been demonstrated recently having two good backs is a formula that is working. I looking forward to seeing #24 with a year of experience under his belt (training, coaching, conditioning and not enough game time) and healthy.

We are front loaded with picks this year, I don't see a real need to dangle Mathews out there as trade bait. Besides...I really don't want to have to go on another "franchise running back" search right about now. Let's plug some holes in the defense. There should be some real talent available at pick # 18.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I guess thats fair.

And I guess you could say Cromartie isn't a complete bust as he still is a starter in the league....just not for us.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Ryanna just needs to prove she can take an NFL lickin and keep on tickin. I don't think she'd pull much for value at this time

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Try not to think so much....... #imjustsaying

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    ROLF

That is correct. You look at those who are labeled as busts and generally they are out of the NFL in a few years, never reach their potential and are utter disappointments. While Cro was disappointing when facing ball carriers, he was good at attacking the ball in flight. I say good not great. I think he could have been great if his swollen head did not get in the way. Once 'Prime Time' started talking to him and talking him up, all was lost.

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    having his picture hanging up on the outside of the Chargers practice facility did not help. They hung up that one picture where he jumped up and one handed that interception against Manning.

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Regardless of who it was, that was an absolute amazing catch and picture. I cant blame them for putting that up...

13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    That deffinatly was his best play he has ever made, probably ever will. I still have pics of 3 diff angles on the catch.

No worries about the RB core it stays alot the same and we get alot the same production.

I deffinatly agree with LBC this is now and probaby will be for the rest of NFL life, a RBC backfield. No matter how much health/safety concerns they have tryed to fix over the last 3 seasons, RBs still are Career Inhibiting injury magnets.

I do look forward to another 2 years minimum to finish evaluating just what and how much RM will comtribute to this always SB chasing roster. Enuff time to get the best out of Mike and figure out who will be the next Bruiser.

14. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    That catch will live on in awesomeness for a looong time, a lot of us here who watched it in person will probably agree.