1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Thoughts on the First Preseason Game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 8, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,601
    • If I can take anything from the first game, it's that we have some pretty good backups. That means this is a very deep group of players, far deeper than it has been in the last three years. Last season I noted that this team was building incredible depth by forcing (not by choice) alot of guys that would be backups into the starting line up. You saw that in this game as the second, third and fourth stringers handled the Cowboys' backups, and it wasn't even close.
    • The last time the Chargers had a RB group this deep was 2007 with LT (last year of his prime), Turner and Sproles. I don't care if certain Chargers fans threw a hissy fit that Mathews fumbled for the first time in a long while, he still looks good. Woodhead does whatever a Woodhead can (and wants to do, he must love playing the pokes). Donald Brown is a starting quality RB as our back up and will give this team incredible depth. And just to round it off you have a hell of a fight for 4th RB with Brandon Oliver with an early lead.
    • Of all the players in the backfield the one that most impressed me is David Johnson; certain other Charger bloggers have noted what a talent he was. He is probably the best FB the team has had since Neal left, and his ferocity is amazing.
    • Dontrelle Inman is really making an impression everyone - he has good route running and better speed than you'd expect. That TD was heavily a blown coverage but that doesn't ignore his ability. I'd be very concerned if I was Vincent Brown and Tevin Reese.
    • Team does need to show improvement in the red zone but this isn't enough proof to show that the team isn't on the right path. Ditto with tackling.
    • Nice to see Attaouch and Ingram beat the tackles on consecutive plays.
    • Really can't wait to see Verrett and Flowers out there.
    • Davis looked decent as a PR but there's not alot out there, same with KR - I'd seriously consider using the fourth running back as a returner.
    • Geathers showed some improvement but he's not there yet. Same with Carrethuers.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,398
    • The Chargers offense is pretty good
    • The Cowboys defense is :poop:

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,890
    I'm going to get really confused if Inman makes the team and Ingram is of course still there.

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    • 1st team defense played only 14 snaps; it was hard to judge them but the 1st/2nd unit made Brandon Weeden look like a decent QB.
    • Branden Oliver getting all the attention right now, and deservedly so, but let's see him carry this momentum into the next couple of games. If he can, Oliver is going to make it a real interesting battle for that 4th RB position with Grice and Williams.
    • Dontrelle Inman surprised me with his speed. Inman is going to make it another interesting battle for that 4th/5th WR spot with Ajirotutu, Brown and Reese.
    • Can we please not carry 3 QB's this year. Sorensen looks like a capable backup. The ball literally jumps out of his hand, he's got a strong arm.

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,141
    From watching this game, all I could really see is that a lot players are trying hard to make this team. To come away from a game with a minimum of injuries is a good thing. I was impressed by Oliver's speed and that he seems more built like a mini-Turner than a mini-Sproles. Inman has some jets on those wheels. Keiser was out there helping to make plays, mixing it up ON the field.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,183
    my initial take can be summed up in one statement;
    I hope the secondary IS improved because so far the from D is not pressuring the QB.

Lets hope this is wrong.

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,398
    We lost one guy, but he thankfully wasn't a starter......

The San Diego Chargers added to their linebacker depth, announcing they’ve signed Victor Aiyewa on Saturday.

A 6-1, 219-pounder out of Washington, Aiyewa appeared in five games for the Green Bay Packers in 2013, recording four tackles. He’s also spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the past. Aiyewa will wear number 57 for the Chargers.

Alvin Scioneaux, who tore his ACL Thursday night, will be placed on Reserve/Injured if he clears waivers.

Our new linebacker..........

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  8. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,141
    Whatever happened to Bront Bird? Did he fly the coop?

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,398
    Yeah, they didn't try to bring him back. His limited athleticism wasn't what TT was looking for.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,605
    I thought the pressure wasn't bad, Weeden bailed the pocket a handful of times, both Ingram and Atta had pressures against the Cowboys 1st team. Which is nothing to sneeze at, because they have one of the better left tackles in the league.

My concern is 100% the run defense. Teams are going to try to ram it down our throat.

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    This team looks like no other Bolt team in the past, not wasting time or looking slow on the field. Even under Bobby Ross they looked to be running with cleats of lead at times, discipline was never an issue, wining was.

I hope what I'm seeing translates into wins but I don't find myself asking, "Why in hell are they just standing around" as I used too. We'll see if McCoy can bring home the hardware, so far they look to be ahead of schedule and buying into the program.

12. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +222
    Yikes, I thought Alvin's last name was difficult to pronounce. How does it go "I-ye-waa"?

13. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,141
    You want names? Try this one for size. Ricky Tjong-A-Tjoe, rookie DE from Boise St. He made a play for us in the 3rd Quarter, announcer was stuttering his name, think he even tried pronouncing it twice...

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,605
    Okay I rewatched the game, each play multiple times, focused mostly on defense. Here are my letter grades for just our STARTING front 7. If you care.

Front 3
    DE/NT Lissemore - B-: Solid start for a solid player, he kept his feet, never got pushed back or washed out.
    NT Geathers - C+: From what I saw he definitely holds his ground much better than last year, hands are still lazy and doesn't shed blocks well, doesn't move backward which is good, but doesn't move his man off the ball either. Was cut blocked a few times by the rookie Zach Martin. Played better against the 2nd string of course.
    DE Reyes - D-: :cautious: This dude has problems. When in sub packages (2-4-5) he was slow off the ball and got stood up by Dallas' interior blockers, and basically contributed nothing to the pass rush. Run defense was worse, he has a terrible habit of turning sideways and losing all his leverage, ending up with his *** in our LB's face, the LBs who are trying to make the tackle. If he looks like this in week 3 of pre-season it may be time to hit the panic button on him.

LBs
    Te'o B : Definitely moving better than he was last year. Did a good job cutting off RB angles. Sniffed out a screen just one second too late giving up a few yards, but was still part of the tackle.
    Butler B : Not much to say, he's Butler. He does a better job blitzing than he gets credit for, you can tell he's just a smart player always in good position to make a play. Too bad his front 3 isn't better or he might make a pro bowl someday.
    Ingram C+ : Did a nice job on a couple pass rush maneuvers, once winning around the edge, once looping in around the DE and getting pressure up the middle. Missed a tackle in the backfield, but to be fair he was pushed in the back while he was trying to block down.
    Johnson C+ : Didn't do much pass rushing, didn't do much at all really. Not going to waste your time.
    Attaochu B- : Gets a solid grade for holding his own against Tyron Smith. He was not spectacular, but he won on the edge a couple times, and made a few tackles. Clearly running at 100% right now, needs to slow down in the run game.

Not a bad start for 1 series in week 1 of pre-season. :rolleyes: We need Liuget 100% for the regular season though.

15. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    Watched it this morning. Apart from the flashes from Oliver and Inman... another thing I noticed was the power in the run game that Troutman has. Him and Fluker on the RHS is beast. Our D line is the weakest position group on the team now.

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,605
    So continued watching the offense and I got a couple notes...

1. The refs are out of F'n control. The "holding" on Terrance Mitchell of Inman was complete horse ****. If they're going to call that all year scoring is going to go through the roof.

2. Reese ran some sloppy *** routes.

3. Oliver is a nice little runner, but the blocking was perfect on this TD and his 20+ yarder where he got horse collared. Seattle will be a better measuring stick as they have more depth.

4. I LOVE the return of the power running game, it's a nice change up. Zach Boren might actually make this team if it were 2006.

4. Marion Grice needs to run full speed when he has a hole, he's tentative, which is something I noticed watching his AZST film, he's almost TOO patient. Having said that our 3rd string O-line (Wilkes, Watts, Johnson, Sirles etc..) was not good. I'd like to see him play with the 2nd stringers next week.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Next game should be a little more telling. It's going to be tough making this team the way it's shaping up so far.

18. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    Bird is no longer the word. Someone will be so disappointed.
    peterstand.gif

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Everyone pretty much covered everything well on here. I really like how disciplined the team looked in general for the first pre season game. I watched some other games and some teams just looked sloppy and not on the same page. Like you guys are saying the Hawks will really test us. I will be mainly focused on our run stopping ability and our defensive speed to contain Wilson

20. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23

I should explain my thoughts in more detail....By disciplined I was mainly talking pre snap. We were not disciplined when it came to talking. Just thought id correct that before I get eaten alive lol

21. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,616
    My thoughts:
    I really love my new seats.
    Nice opening drive that got fubared at the end. Please no more fumbles Ryan. Get it out of your system now.
    Perfect pass from Clemons to Inman for the TD. A thing of beauty. CBJ who?
    Oh shite we resigned Sproles??!
    WTF is going on with these extra point kicks?
    LOL so many Cowboys fans paid regular price to see this. I was merely FORCED to watch this crap thanks to season tix.
    Damn my new seats are great.

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,183
    Oh! Dont forget to mention your new seats!
    ;)

• Like Like x 2
  23. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,141
    I mean, really, what was wrong with your old seats?

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,616
    Not much, I enjoyed them for the past 7-8 years or so we had them, but it was time for an upgrade. Too much sun/heat is very bad for my wife, so she would wind up regularly skipping Sept and Oct day games (much to the happiness of some of my friends and relatives but not to me) due to the sun/heat. Although the majority of our neighbors were awesome (I have become friends w/ the couple who sat in front of us and plan on tailgating w/ them), a few of the old timers really drove me nuts.The dude who sat to my immediate right NEVER shut up the entire game unless the play was a HUGE gain on O or a big hit/stop on D. If they run the ball, he's crying they should be passing; if it's was a pass he'd scream "RUN THE FOOTBALL!" nonstop, ect ad naseum. He hated Marty, then Norv, now McCoy. Basically he's a pleb who never stfu.

Now we're under the overhang of the loge level w/ aisle seats to boot and it's worlds better. Add a much better viewing angle towards the field and it was too good to pass up. Met a few of our new gameday neighbors, most are all closer to our age and seem to know their stuff, so I had a much better time. Also bathrooms are right at the top of the stairs, about 15 steps away. Excellent!

BTW moved from P23 row 6 to P29 row 19.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1