1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on todays melt down in Raider town

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JoeRockhead, Oct 10, 2010.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    The reasons for the loss are obvious, Poor special Teams play, Turnovers and Bad mistakes. That has happened in almost all our games.
    But today the Defense decided to self destruct at the worst time. This teamhas a lot of problems. But hopefuly we can somehow fix all this and still salvage the season. Its real bad when you got trolls from other AFC West teams talking smack here. We have hit a new low fellas. The playing field is now leveled. We are no longer the biggset baddest team in the West. The little guys are catching up, in a big way. We have no excuses to make we have beat oursevles in all our losses. That is it. Now we need to man up and go forward. We are at a crossroads as a team I think.

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Well said Joe. I agree the rest of the division is not a pushover anymore and getting better. This season is FAR from over and we can correct those mistakes. It's going to be a dogfight to win this division now and maybe that will make us stronger in the end. Man, the days of walking away with this division are over.....

3. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Blame the coach and GM!

4. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    We are, as we were last year at this time, at a cross roads. It was terrible timing for the D to shut down like they did at that point in the game, but to me, that is not an indicator of the key systemic problems the Chargers have. The defense has been doing good this year and they are capable of rising again next week. The real issues are systemic.

1. Special teams. If we are honest, last week was not a stellar performance on their part. You could still see the first guys in over pursuing the kick returner. We just got lucky that the second guys in were more effective.

This week that problem resurfaced and a new problem emerged, lack of punt protection.

2. Poor play calling on the part of Norv. We see this every year and even in games we win. It's not a problem when the players are executing the play after the failed call and make up for it, but when they are dropping balls and Rivers is having trouble when he's chased from the pocket, Norv needs to be especially disciplined about calling the right play. He killed us today.

Those two issues are systemic. They cannot be fixed by the players alone. Crosby can do that by evaluating his staff assignments and coaching better play from them. Norv needs to see the game as it's being played in real time and what the players are doing well and go with those strengths. He just threw gas on the fire at the wrong time today.

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    The problem? We're not nearly as good as many of us think we are.

6. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    I have to disagree. We have so much talent on this team yet it's being wasted by bad coaching.

7. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    ^ This.

We cannot consistently get behind the 8-ball with bad special teams play and turnovers and expect to go anywhere. We're pissing away games because of it, and it will kill us in the end.

8. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    That's because we have a GM who thinks he can just play games with his players and try and strong arm them all the time. Let's be honest most charger players once they leave SD either improve their play or revive their careers. I love the Chargers. However, I am tired of all the support that the coaches and front office are getting from the fans. This organization needs a new identity and it has to start with the top.

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    and through all of this, they had very good stats!

10. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    Which to my mind, with the exception of the defense buckling for the first time this year (that I can remember), indicates there are serious problems with coaching. We have all the talent in the world, but it's not worth a farthing if the staff cannot guide the team when it counts. (Norv's poor play calling and the third time the ST unit has failed us).

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +685
    ST stinks it up again giving up 9 pts and add in 3 turnovers. Not many teams can win those games. Norv needs to burn that page with the draw to sproles. It has not worked all year. Full retard calls when they were in FG range at the end.

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    We're 0-2 in the division. We've got BIG problems.

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    really.... this??? Please list those players, for every one you list, I'll list two that left other teams and had productive careers.

14. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    We all knew this day was coming. There was going to be a day when the Raiders beat us. And if you want to put a different spread on it, they did not beat us, we beat ourselves. We are 2 and 3 and have not won on the road yet this season.

We need to keep the faith. The season is not over. It’s a long haul ahead of us, but I still believe that we can take the AFC West!

15. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I don't understand why we did some risky plays once we got close to the 20 yard line towards the end of the game. It must be that Norv is scared to put our kicking teams on the field. Kaeding is pretty good during the regular season, and had a good day.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I'd be taking it alot better if i actually believed they beat us as much as we, the refs and the bad bouncing ball killed us

17. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I don't blame the refs. I agree that our special teams, bolt turnovers, and our inability to recover raturd turnovers killed us. Raturds made just enough good plays to win...both teams don't look very good!

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    its OUR 3rd loss, and every time we lose we can blame the special teams. 2 blocked punts is not a good thing!!!

And its not the refs fault, they did not let the Raiders drive the field in the 4th quarter.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It's not time to throw in the towel just yet on the season. The player's need to buck up and take charge on the field, coaches can only do so much.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    your right, this is a good team, its time for some of the veterans to step up and take charge.They were saying during the post game show then Patrick Crayton spoke up about what he saw, Norv quickly told him to not take it to the media. But then they also said that some of the players were not paying attention during their meetings. If that’s true, someone needs s to be held accountable.

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It looked at times that some Bolt's were going through the motions. The player's need to be held accountable and good on Crayton. I was reading an article on the NFL site and they said that player's on the Stillers were afraid of Mean Joe Greene because he'd get pissed off during games. Maybe we need an on field enforcer.

22. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I'm not too worried about the team. If we continue with these nagging injuries that are keeping some key players out or limited then I might be. Merriman didn't play much but he had some pressure on the QB today and made a nice recovery to get down field on a tackle. Siler needs to get back in there and the BIG one is Mathews. Is he ready or isn't he? The guy was tearing it up when he was in there so why not just play him? Sproles...I have no idea what to even say about him. Kick returns he continues to run into the coverage. Can't he switch it up and break wide every now and then. You can't out run anyone when you run directly into them.

23. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072

what has Sproles done ever since he got that big payday?