1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Three and Out: Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

August 9, 2009 9:30 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Give Turner a chance: The San Diego Chargers can win with Turner. They've already done it when it counts and they can do it again. Turner has been criticized for his past head-coaching stints in Washington and Oakland and for his slow starts in San Diego. His detractors believe he is simply a good offensive coordinator and not a leader. After observing Turner at camp and during the season the past couple of years, there is no question he is in control. He is a very bright coach who is cool when it matters most. That's why San Diego has had such good late-season success under Turner. He keeps his team calm. So, say what you like about Turner -- he is the right guy for San Diego.

Watch out for Jackson: I expect receiver Vincent Jackson to have a big season. This is a legitimate No. 1 receiver. He is a big, fast target who can change games. What sticks out most about Jackson is he comes up with big plays in big games. You can't teach that. Jackson has been outstanding in training camp and he has a wonderful chemistry with San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers. Expect this to be one of the best pass-catch tandems in the NFL in 2009.

The linebackers are going to be good: Expect San Diego's linebackers to be a key in this 3-4 scheme. Defensive coordinator Ron Rivera was a linebacker and he was the Chargers' inside linebackers coach before being promoted to coordinator last year. His unit will be a focal point. Expect Rivera to have a lot of fun with his outside linebackers as Shawne Merriman returns after missing all but one game last season. Rivera has been scheming blitzing plans for Merriman and top draft pick Larry English. Fellow outside linebacker Shaun Phillips will play a roaming position of sorts when Merriman and English play together. Inside linebacker Stephen Cooper is a tackling machine and the Chargers are excited about free-agent pickup Kevin Burnett at the other inside linebacker spot. Burnett is good in pass coverage. Overall, this should be a solid unit.

2. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    If "you can't teach that", how is it that VJ is so much better in this regard than he used to be? :unsure:

:icon_rofl:

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe because he's now used to the speed of the NFL & has developed chemistry with PR?

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Just because he´s gotten better as a receiver does not mean that he has been taught to be a big game performer. Jackson has played clutch in the last few playoff games, and the writer is correct. Just because someone gets better at something does not mean that the attribute in question is teachable. Being a clutch performer is just something that some people innately possess, and Jackson´s numbers in the playoffs show that he is a clutch performer. Why not just be happy abou that instead of trying to get in a shot at the guy for taking awhile to develop?

5. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Most wide receivers take a couple of years to learn the schemes and routes, get up to speed, and add the additional muscle needed for NFL level competition. There are of course exceptions, but if you look at the stats from year to year you'll see the good receivers growing into the role and consistantly putting up big numbers. I am hoping to see Naanee make more of a contribution this year as well.

Go Chargers!!!
    :flag:

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Exactly my point. :tup:

7. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Ya sayin' he didn't LEARN those things? :icon_shrug:

All I'm saying is that I'd have expressed it differently than the author did.

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    This is all great news! :yes: Bring on our first victim, the Faiders on MNF Sept. 14th!

9. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Expierence ....

10. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Learning something does not equate to being taught.

11. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Of the three topics, the one I'm most concerned w/ is the LB corp. Tales of TE production brings back memories of last year. I'm banking on Burnett to fix this problem, but the reports outta camp so far have not been entirely comforting. Here's hopin'
    :unsure:
    Later

• Like Like x 1
  12. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    whooooooooooo cares.

13. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Yeah, we let small catches underneath coverage turn into freakin' double digit yardage.

14. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    ZOT, i haven't heard anything negative about burnett. what have you heard?

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :icon_huh:

I'm not sure you CAN learn something without something or someone teaching.

Ex. I stepped in a pile of oakland raider, I've learned from that, the pile of oakland raider taught me not to step in it.

:flag:

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I don't have any qualms about the defense this year. Between Rivera and Merriman being back I suspect It'll be like the difference between Hoover and FDR.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    No, in fact just the opposite. The reports I hear are the tight end getting open on a fairly regular basis. We had a huge problem w/ this last year and I'm looking for us to fix it.

Everything I've heard about Burnett is very positive. Considering the hole in the middle last year, I'm expect really good things outta Burnett.
    :yes:
    Later

18. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Looks like we get 5 pre-season games, cept one of them goes in the W column.

The turds are for warming up for the regular season. :tup: