1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Three-game home-stand will answer questions

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Nov 19, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Well, We DO play better at home. Win 3 in a row, 7-6 and go from there!!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

http://chargers.com/news/headlines/three-game-home.htm

It was nearly 1 a.m. Monday morning when Chargers defensive end Jacques Cesaire climbed into bed at his San Diego home following the team’s cross-country flight from Pittsburgh. Fortunately for Cesaire and the Bolts, it’ll be another month before they spend another night in a hotel room.

“We’re very excited about this three-game stretch at home because we love playing in front of our fans,” Cesaire said. “We’re hurting right now because things aren’t going our way, but we’re not down and out. We’re still excited. Don’t ever count us out. Ever.”

The 4-6 Chargers, far from out as Cesaire notes, are now two games behind Denver in the AFC West race after the Bolts dropped a heartbreaking 11-10 decision to the Steelers Sunday. But over the last three seasons, nothing has cured what ails them like a few weeks of home cooking.

Starting Sunday against the Colts, the Chargers will be at home for three consecutive weeks and four of their last six games. It’s the club’s first three-game home-stand since 2001, and the Bolts’ ability to stay hot at home will define their final six weeks of the season.

“This will tell the story,” Rivers said. “What will December mean? What meaning will it have? Two games back but the team we’re two games back from, we get to play them once. You just hope you can gain enough ground where that game will mean everything.”

Just how good has home been for the Bolts of late? They’ve won 18 of their last 20 at home, including a 3-1 mark this season. They haven’t lost at home since the regular-season opener against Carolina.

This season, the Chargers are 3-1 at home, where their offense is averaging 35 points per game as opposed to 22 on the road. Rivers, who is 18-2 at home during his career, has a passer rating of 121.3 at home opposed to an 87.8 mark on the road this year.

On the defensive side of the ball, the Bolts give up nearly a touchdown less per game, as their opponents have scored an average of 21 points per game at Qualcomm Stadium but more than 28 per contest in road games.

“It’s always easier when you’ve got your crowd behind you and you can feed off their energy,” running back LaDainian Tomlinson said. “We’ve been good at home the last couple of years and we need to continue that to get us on track.”

Throughout a season that has been mentally and physically tough on the Chargers, players have continued to hold their heads high while keeping their eyes on a prize that is still attainable.

“Everything we set out to do this year is still out there to be accomplished,” Rivers said. “I’m not trying to make the situation sound good. It’s not going to be easy, but the door is not shut. As many people that are going to write us off, we’ve got to find a way to make up a game in the next five. That’s all we can do right now as players.”

Although his club has faced some adversity, Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner likes his team’s mindset as they enter this crucial portion of their schedule. He praised their mental toughness Monday.

“I’m impressed with the attitude, the resiliency,” Turner said. “This is a group that has a lot of pride and care a lot about their performance and where we are as a football team. We’ve been in some tough situations where games could have gotten away from us. They have not let those games get away from us, whether it was in London or games early in the year where it was 21-3 early in the game (at Denver). This group is pretty resilient.”

Turner also seemed part frustrated and part encouraged over the fact that each of the team’s losses have been by nine points or less, with two of their shortcomings being decided by a single point.

“We know how close we are and our guys know how close we are.” Turner said. “We just need to get over the hump.”

Rivers expanded on that, saying that it’s up to him and his teammates to start making the ball bounce their way in the final stretch of the season.

“I don’t know how many have come down to the wire where we haven’t been on the top end of some of these games,” Rivers said. “There’s no consolation in that. We haven’t made the plays. That’s what every team that’s sitting at 4-6 or is struggling is saying. ‘Golly, we’re a couple plays away.’ There are teams right now that are 4-6 that go to 7-9 or 6-10 and there’s teams that battle back and give themselves a chance for the division. Hopefully we’re going to be the latter of those, too. “

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    IF, and that's a big IF, they win the next 3, THEN I'll have hope for the 2008 season again, one loss and it 99.9% over

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    1 more loss and we're done. Period. I don't care where it comes, home or away.

4. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    One more loss does bury the coffin. A 9-7 team has no place in the afc playoffs.

5. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I think we can take one more loss but it has to be from the Bucs or Falcons.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It ain't over till it's over. I still believe in this team, but the players have to get on the slacker's and knock some sense into them.:tup:

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Possibly, but then we'd need Denver to lose 3 of their final 6. I think that's a tall order considering they aren't falling apart like we expected.

8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    How did Denver D get stronger losing most of their starting defense? If the answer is young blood then the Chargers have some too. Maybe they should think about putting it on display.

9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    GO BOLTS!!!! KEEP THE FAITH!!!

:abq1::abq2::abq1::abq2:

10. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Losses at the Jets and Panthers, while by no means certain, are highly possible. They also have a homer with Buffalo who unfortunately can't get out of their own way right now (unless we're the opponent).

Another loss for us all but does it, but stranger things have happened. Beat the Colts and the door stays open... :icon_shrug:

11. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    If we beat the Colts this weekend, we will win all of our home games!

12. getfresh

getfresh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Except the first one? :icon_huh:

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Find the answer to that question for the Chargers and a front office position is all yours.

14. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Ok, you got me, I have no idea what your post means.:icon_huh: