1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Three Reasons Why Chargers Could Win AFC West In 2016

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, May 11, 2016.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    *Warning, this does not appear to be a completely non-biased article... Enjoy*

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/three-reasons-why-chargers-could-130048217.html

Jose E. Torres,Cover322 hours 3 minutes ago

The San Diego Chargers haven’t won the AFC West since 2009, when their season ended at the hands of Mark Sanchez and the New York Jets in the AFC Divisional Round. The Chargers had won the AFC West four consecutive years but unfortunately it’s been downhill ever since.

After a shaky start to the season, their week 5 bye proved to be what the doctor ordered. They had a stranglehold on the AFC West for the rest of their 50th anniversary season winning 11 of the last 12 games to improve to 13-3. The best season that Norv Turner had as head football coach of an organization.

San Diego Chargers have missed out on the playoffs 5 of their last 6 seasons leaving Bolts fans hopes in limbo. After ending their 2015 campaign 4-12 and dead last in the AFC West, they earned the third pick in the draft and used it wisely. 2016 proves to be a different year, at least on paper and may have a better chance than you might think. Here’s why.

1. Denver is weaker
    With the retirement of future Hall-of-Famer Peyton Manning, the Broncos don’t have elite passer. Brock Osweiler was supposed to be the replacement for Manning but chose to depart the Mile High city for the warmer weather of Houston. Denver signed Mark Sanchez and drafted University of Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch in the 2016 NFL draft in hopes to keep the AFC West crown. Assuming Sanchez gets the nod over Lynch, fans will be calling for Paxton to start once Mark throws that first interception.

San Diego is not looking to repeat their performance from the previous season where the Bolts were swept by the Broncos. Charger fans were optimistic the second game they played where the score was at least closer than the first game.

Philip Rivers was an ace on offense with a horrible offensive line that couldn’t control a Pop Warner team if their lives depended on it.

2. The offense

Philip Rivers returns to Qualcomm in tip top shape and a rejuvenated offensive line that will look to protect Philip at all cost. Not only will he have his star wide receiver back, Keenan Allen, but he will have the newly acquired and fastest man in the league, Travis Benjamin, Stevie Johnson and slew of wide receiving prospects.

Oh, did I mention Antonio Gates will be back? Thank you football gods.

Rivers’ offensive talents have single-handedly kept his team in ball games, but will have help from Melvin Gordon in 2016 now that he has his college teammate Derek Watt. Does that name sound familiar? Let’s hope he’s as brutal as his older brother J.J.

3. The defense has improved

There is no question that the Chargers struggled on defense last year. Most of the team was injured for most of the season. Even tough the Bolts lost one of their defensive captains to free agency, they have a much better defensive team coming into the season with Denzel Perryman, Jason Verrett and their number one draft pick Joey Bosa.

Bosa automatically gives this team a better pass-rush, which will help other players get to the quarterback at a faster pace. The possibilities are endless with the defensive corps and should have opposing teams scared to play the San Diego Chargers.

Other teams like Oakland and Kansas City have improved in the AFC West, but I like the Chargers chances coming into the season, even if experts don’t agree. Go Bolts!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Three Reasons Why Chargers Could Win AFC West in 2016

1. The Broncos could get hit by a meteor.
    2. The Chiefs could get hit by a meteor.
    3. The Raiders could get hit by a meteor.

It will likely take all three reasons acting together, though.

• Old Old x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    It's an unlikely but not crazy idea to think we could win the division.

We'd need to get a little lucky with injuries, but we do have the best QB in the division and you'd hope our offense would be better with a healthy OL and Wiz returning as OC

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Listen, lets be honest, no one here believes the Chargers are a 4-12 team with Philip at the helm. They were the number one offense in football until KA went down. They lost 9 games by 8 or less points. Last year this team was probably a 7-9 or 8-8 team with the talent on the team. This year I feel like the talent level has increased and we are a 8-8 to 10-6 team. Health always remains the big key. Also, no one believes the Broncos got better. Under the Sanchize they are at best an 8-8 team. The Chiefs will be undermanned early this year with Houston out until mid season at least. Still think they are at best an 8-8 team this year. The wild card is the Raiders. The talent level is very high on that team. I think the Raiders are probably a 10-6 team right now. My guess is they win the AFC West with us in 2nd at 9-7 and a possible wild card. The other wild card is our defense. With the increase in talent and depth this could be a top 5 defense in the league. Our LB corps is looking like world beaters, and with an actual defensive line in front of them they are just going to be better. Heyward was a great pickup and will help the secondary. I know the Safety position is a little week for us right now but lets be honest, Weddle was not himself last year. Missed tackles dropped picks. Burnt toast on a ton of deep balls. Lowery is no Weddle but he doesn't have to be. The front 7 in front of them is markedly better and they just wont have to cover for as long. I also think we may still sign a veteran Safety and DL before camp to push for depth positions. Doubt we win the West but its not all doom and gloom like ChainCrusher always believes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The strongest argument in the Chargers favor is that in many recent years, a team that finished last the prior season, does a total turnaround and wins the division the following season. This has happened a number of times, so it's not a fluke, it shows that there really is more parity in the league than is always obvious on the surface. There are only a few teams (like the Patriots) that seem to have a true stranglehold on their division.

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    1) There can't be as many injuries in the O line as the last two year, healthy, this O line is acceptable
    2) Melvin Gordon should play better, with a better OC than lat year, the offense should improve
    3) The defensive front seven looks good on paper, the whole defense looks good

7. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    I've stated that we will win the division. Telesco has not disputed my statement. It is now, therefore, a fact that we will win the West!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    I think our running game improves but it might be a udfa and Oliver running for yards. MG3's microfracture surgery is real and the statement from Dr Chao that his knee cartilage is similar to grab grass and that is scary to read about a guy coming off a bad season and injury.

I think we start off slowly this year if MG3 isn't healthy.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It's a long climb back up to the top, who's holding the ladder?

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    The OL and DL. They stay healthy and it's possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    To have lines that are the same players that started the season at the end of the season....gelled too?

That would be a great gift from the football gods.

Best paper team since 2007 season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    No way, not a chance.

You see this team as being better on paper than the 13-3 2009 team?! That team had Gates (in his prime), Sproles, LT, Tolbert, Jackson, Floyd, Cooper, Jamal (on paper, before IR), Jammer, Cromartie, Weddle, Phillips, Rivers, Manumaleuna (actual blocking from a TE) Hardwick, Dielman, McNeill, Vazquez, etc.

This year's team will be lucky to sniff .500 against a last place schedule that includes 4 games against a comparatively weak AFCS. The 2009 team was on the short list of best teams in the entire NFL and a legitimate SB contender.

I don't mean to be overly critical, but you are talking some seriously ridiculous nonsense here.

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581

14. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    The last time we were 4-12 the next year we went 12-4
    Remember that time boys

• Like Like x 1
  15. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Well I was excited to see I was quoted for the first time by braincrush and then the disappointment set in as I realized in just the first sentence that CC is clearly better at spitting out words than reading them.

All I will say without even re-reading my post is SINCE.

For those that pay attention to what they read, this will be all that is needed to b said.

Maybe a little less time trying to post like a Stephen King novel and MAYBE hire a proofreader to provide more accurate cliff notes on our posts. (Which we are lucky if our diatribe comes across as short story fodder by comparison to the KING of drivel o wait sorry Stephen we have a new lead dog.)
    And since it's clear you don't read for yourself.

SK would b proud CC.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I did boldly say nest since 07, so Yea better than that 09 squad cc

17. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    You might consider taking your own advice and either hire a proofreader or pay attention to what others have written.

Yes, you made the ridiculous statement that this year's team, which is closer to being the worst team in the NFL than it is to being the best, is the best team on paper that we have had since 2007.

And yes, I correctly pointed out that the 2009 team which finished 13-3 and was a legitimate SB contender, was much better on paper and in reality than this year's team will ever be. And, in case you don't quite understand, 2009 is a year that took place SINCE 2007.

I could easily go further and say the underachieving 2008 team was better on paper than this year's team as were the 2010 and 2011 teams (in addition to the 2009 team), but I chose to keep it simple with the obvious "duh" reference to the 2009 Chargers team that finished with the 2nd best record in the NFL that shot down your absurd theory.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  18. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    No sense in doubling down on your ridiculous statement. And believe me, calling your statement "ridiculous" or "absurd" is being charitable.

Seriously, the 2009 team was arguably the best team in the NFL that year. They crapped the bed in the playoffs against the Jets, but that was a great team.

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    I've always been a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of the 2009 roster... :D

but now that CC seems to be on the same side as me, :eek: perhaps I need to re-examine...

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    What paper?

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Lol look up the definition of paper team and you can thank me later.

Oh yea and didn't u read I don't read ur posts entirely, I got a life don't need to waste minutes of my time on ur banter which does one of 2 things: hammers hard on one side of a topic or flip-flops on your own opinion in the same post.

Sorry your so predictable that I gave up reading ur opinion five times a post.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Hilarious approach! You don't read the posts, you just respond to them with or without quoting them. Who knows, maybe in your case that improves your chances of getting something right.

I am well aware of what the concept of a "paper team" is and was when I made all of my posts. On paper or in reality, it makes no difference in this case. The 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 teams were all better than this year's team--either way. I am pretty tempted to throw in the underachieving 2012 team as well as being better on paper.

All I can thank you for is the laugh I had when I read the content of your posts. This year's roster on paper better than the 2009 team's roster?! LMAO!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    LMAO? You are judging a historical outcome by and assumed outcome. 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 teams and their results are historical. 2016 is assumed as they are not even practicing in pads yet. As a 'lawyer' you should know that unsubstantiated claims such as you are throwing out will turn the jury on you. So please continue to ASSume you know the outcome of the season... It gives me something to LMAO about.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    We are talking about the teams on paper, not based on their actual results. You don't need the benefit of the season to perform the roster comparisons.

In fact, I will give this year's team the full 90 man roster versus the 53 man roster of the other teams. It changes nothing. Those other teams were better, a lot better, not a little better.

If you want to champion the beyond stupid side of an argument, that's on you. Yay, we're Super Bowl contenders! Yippeee!!! SMH....

I am willing to acknowledge that we did several things on paper this offseason to get better, but what I think most of you totally underestimate is just how far it is that we had to go to be even a legitimate .500 team. Before this off- season, our roster was every bit as bad our 4-12 record from 2015 suggested. When a Philip Rivers led team is 4-12, the roster is sh!t--roughly half of it was garbage that could be replaced by street free agents at any time for the same level of effectiveness.

Some people on this forum seem to be mistaking us for the Cowboys, which in 2015 were clearly a team where two key injuries and a key free agent loss really hurt them, especially the injury loss of Romo. That is an example of a mostly loaded team that just needed to get a few players back and some talent at a couple of key positions to get back to being a legitimate playoff/SB contender.

Based upon our team's rosters on paper, the 2008-2011 teams were projected as division winners and playoff contenders. That is, they were projected to be like the Cowboys this year--the winner of their division.

Again, by contrast, our current team is not reloading. They are rebuilding. While the AFCW is good this year and is part of the explanation of why our odds to win the division are so long, the other part is that the betting public/oddsmakers have correctly hit on the fact that our roster on paper is the weakest in the division and was so by a considerable margin going into this offseason.

So I think we can say that we got better as a team than we were last year, but can we please stop with this idiocy that this year's roster is anywhere close to being as good, much less better, on paper as/than those teams that were rated on paper from 2008-2011 as being the best in their division and legitimate playoff/SB contenders? That idea is just flat out STUPID.

Even playing against a last place schedule, on paper it looks like we would have to be pretty lucky even to make it to 8-8.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    What I champion is the assertion that your paper team being so far inferior to anything coming before is bunk. Speculation at best... Pure BS to pile more of your Telesco hate on in reality. Your objectivity was in question before, and now is proven non existent. So please LMAO at everyone who calls you out as a mocking bird just cawing out every few seconds "SWAK... I hate Telesco..." as we LMAO at you and the majority of your takes.

Sad thing is, you might have some good thoughts if everything wasn't tainted with your Teleco hate.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Sorry, there is no bias here, just reality. I predicted that the team would have a winning record record last year based upon what it did in 2013 and 2014. But it soon became very clear that the team had become worse for a number of reasons, a lot worse.

This was a 4-12 team team last year with Philip Rivers at QB. You can try to pretend that that was not the case, but forever in the record books it will show that the Chargers were 4-12 in 2015.

Yes, we got better this offseason, but there is a world of difference between where we were at the end of last year and where those other Chargers teams were predicted to finish based upon their rosters on paper. We filled some of the holes this offseason, not all of them, nor did we come near to filling all of them.

Those other teams on paper were predicted to be division winners, not predicted to finish in last place like we are this year.

There is a whole realm of difference between being a top 10 and in one instance a top 5 team and in being a team that based upon its roster is at best a bottom half of the league team, but also one that could easily be a bottom 10 team.

The OP stated that this year's roster was the best on paper since the 2007 team.

I realize that hope springs eternal at the beginning of any new season, but that assertion is bullsh!t.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  27. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
  28. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I don't know about better than other past team comparisons that don't really serve much except a plateful of nostalgia, but I do think that we have improved our team through the draft and free agency, and also hopefully by keeping some of our guys healthy this season.

Will we win the division? Who knows, but we are definitely gonna be better this year than last year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I don't know... should I let it out this early?.... cuz this turn of events has put a smile on my face and provided plenty of laughs at one misread comment. That you somehow are doin ur usual clinging to a side of a argument that doesn't even exist?

**** my bad I still couldn't bring myself to read 100% of ur posts. I try to stick with the first paragraph and try to catch the tail end of ur posts. For future reference, as I'm sure I'm not alone u should aim for making ur point in one of these 2 points in your post. (Look at me rambling on like a CC)

That or cut out 50% of the verbiage per post.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976