1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Thumper's Picks - Week 3

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Come on guys. I haven't had a single comment about my picks column this week. Do you think I'm right on the money? Do you think I'm way off base? Let me know...

Here's the link: http://bolttalk.com/?p=2958

Here's a sample:

Open date: Dallas, Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego

Sunday, Sept 24

Washington 22, Houston 17
    Which ever team loses this one will have a huge hole to climb out of if they want to have any kind of meaningful season. Houston is dead last in total defense. Washington is expecting Clinton Portis back. This will provide a huge boost for the Redskins.

St. Louis 19, Arizona 20
    I picked Arizona to upset the Seahawks last week and they burned me. I still believe in this team, but it really depends on which Rams team shows up. The one that beat the Broncos or the one that lost to the 49ers

Carolina 17, Tampa Bay 9

I expected both of these teams to have strong seasons, now in only the third week of the season, they’re both in a must win situation. At this point of his career, Chris Simms is no Phil Simms. He gets rattled easily and makes bad decisions. Expect a big game from Julius Peppers getting pressure to the quarterback.

Chicago 24, Minnesota 17

The Bears have a dominating defense and are playing well on the offensive side of the ball as well. Both teams are 2-0. The Vikings proved they can play in two tough games against Washington and Carolina, but the Bears are an elite team. The Vikings are not. Who would have thought Rex Grossman would be leading the league in QB passer rating?

Check the rest of this weeks picks here!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    Houston will beat Warshington.

Minn will beat Da bears.

You heard it here first.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I have a little feeling about Houston this week, too... They do have to win a game or two this year and it might as well be against another struggling team.

Bears/Minn will get my number 1 pick more than likely... I'll bet you have no idea which team I pick... :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink:

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Damn you Conc, you beat me to it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,848
    :icon_banana: :tup: :icon_banana:

6. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Wow guys I didn't even read past thumpers picks before I was going to comment on Houston beating Washington. I didn't really hear it from you first Conc :icon_evil:

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,848
    Yes you did, but you will try and steal whatever you can...:tdown:

8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    I also like Cincy over the Stillers. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Those are solid picks, Thumper.

I like Green Bay over Detroit though. That’s a lock. I also like these:

Atlanta by double-digits over New Orleans:
    The Saints QB always struggles against good defenses.

Indy wins BIG over the Jags: This will be a slaughter, like 28-7. You read it here first.

10. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Don't be ghey or I'll change my mind and take Washington to prove a point :icon_tease:

11. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Indy hasn't faced a real defense. They have a lame running game and this will be proven when they go up against Jax. If anything JAX wins by double digits :yes: Peyton Manning is going to get Peytowned!

12. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I think some of the scores will be closer then you have stated, but I agree with them across the board.

13. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Stay away from that game. I don't want you to lose money on it. :no:

14. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Good job on the picks. Now I'll throw my two cents in. If Jax watches tape from our game with the Dolts last year, the point spread will be even greater. Peyton can't take constant pressure which I think Jax can deliver. I'll call Detroit over GB as I think Detroit has a bit more offense and defense and I thnk New Orleans may beat Atlanta. I'm not convinced Vick is as consistent as people think. His running will ultimately cost them. Did I read where they will play in the Superdome? If they are, Atlanta is in trouble as NO will play on some jacked-up emotions. That's it, I'll await the laughter. Have fun and may the best handicappers win!:bolt:

15. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    The problem is Jax doesn't have the kind of fierce pass rush that will bother Manning. I think Manning will be able to sit back and pick that secondary apart. It wouldn't surprise if the Colts had 30 yards rushing and 300 yards passing.

I still am not a big Leftwich fan. His delivery is just so focking slow. Freeney and that fierce Indy rush are going to harass Leftwich all game.

16. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Exactly. I hope MTL listens to us.

:lol:

17. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I think the Texans take that game too.

The 'Skins look dysfunctional, and IMO the NFC East has been totally overrated this offseason.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,848
    ABSOFRICKENLOOTYL!

19. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Indy hasnt had that great a pass rush so far ...not any better than Jacksonville has but and Indy has been run on pretty good giving up 147 YPG so far. Both defenses have 4 sacks and Jacksonville was getting near Rothlisberger a lot.

I dont like Leftwich's windup either but he is having a good year so far. He is due to break out.

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm going on your recommendations with the texans/deadskins game. I was 50/50 on who to take for this game. Possibly home field advantage will give the texans a win. hope so.

edit, on further thought I'm gonna take the deadskins.

edit. on even further thought i'm gonna take the texans.

21. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Carolina 17, Tampa Bay 9
    I expected both of these teams to have strong seasons, now in only the third week of the season, they’re both in a must win situation. At this point of his career, Chris Simms is no Phil Simms. He gets rattled easily and makes bad decisions. Expect a big game from Julius Peppers getting pressure on the quarterback.

Chicago 24, Minnesota 17
    The Bears have a dominating defense and are playing well on the offensive side of the ball as well. Both teams are 2-0. The Vikings proved they can play in two tough games against Washington and Carolina, but the Bears are an elite team. The Vikings are not. Who would have thought Rex Grossman would be leading the league in QB passer rating?

Cincinnati 19, Pittsburgh 21
    The Bengals can run and pass, but injuries on defense will take their toll. Willie Parker and Big Ben will get back on track and pull this one out in a squeaker.

Green Bay 10, Detroit 24
    Favre will regret not retiring after starting the season 0-3 on this bad Green Bay team. Detroit will regroup and get their first win of the season with a dominating performance.

Jacksonville 16, Indianapolis 21
    Indy still needs to find an answer to their running game and Jacksonville played inspired defense against the Steelers. But, sometimes a team just has another team’s number. Indy owns the Jags. They swept them last season and will win this battle.

N.Y. Jets 10, Buffalo 17
    The Bills defense looks legit and should be enough to hold off a rejuvenated Chad Pennington. This is the Bills game to win or lose.

Tennessee 14, Miami 31
    Miami should get back on track against a Titans team that is complete disarray. Culpepper should get it together against a weak Titans defense. Expect him to throw for at least two scores.

Washington 22, Houston 17
    Which every team loses this one will have a huge hole to climb out of if they want to have any kind of meaningful season. Houston is dead last in total defense. Washington is expecting Clinton Portis back. This will provide a huge boost for the Redskins.

Baltimore 17, Cleveland 9
    The Ravens look wicked good on defense and their offense is good enough to get the job done. Will the Browns be limited to just field goals? I think they might.

N.Y. Giants 21, Seattle 28
    For me this is probably the hardest game of the week to call. These are both quality teams, but I don’t think the Giants have faced a team with this much offensive firepower. Shaun Alexander is ready for a huge game.

Philadelphia 26, San Francisco 15
    San Francisco is playing much better than expected. They may have a respectable season, but the Eagles with a healthy Donovan McNabb will be too much for the 49ers to handle.

St. Louis 19, Arizona 20
    I picked Arizona to upset the Seahawks last week and they burned me. I still believe in this team, but it really depends on which Rams team shows up. The one that beat the Broncos or the one that lost to the 49ers.

Denver 17, New England 24
    How does New England keep it up? They just seem to find ways to win. Across the field, Jake the Snake is finding ways to lose. Expect another erratic day from Plummer facing a tough New England defense.

Monday, Sept 25

Atlanta 24, New Orleans 23[/quote]

Well.....

Not much to disagree with but ill comment on a couple.

I dont think Indy has Jacksonvilles number. The did sweep them last year but Jacksonville beat them in Indy in 2004 and have played some close games while Indy was whipping everybody else.
    I think Jacksonville is a better team than last year and Leftwich is due for a good season. I dont care who wins as long as Jacksonville covers the spread since i have them +7 :icon_mrgreen:

I think Culpepper stinks and doesnt look to me like his knee is 100%. Miami should win only because Tennesee is just horrible.

I dont think St Louis will lose to Arizona. The Rams always play lousy in SF and i said so in the liesure Las Vegas thread. However, they ARE learning a new offensive system and havent jelled yet as a unit.
    Arizona just cant run the ball.

I think Atlanta will smoke New Orleans.

22. underoath

underoath BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    thumper, what is your overall record for the first 2 weeks? (im 25-5 in my office pool). i just want to see where u are at. i know u are an elite picker :icon_mrgreen:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Are you sure you are not 25-7? Which two games didn't you pick?

I managed 13-3 last week picking a few upsets like SF. 25-7 YTD. So I will probably get pounded this week. I find the games tough to pick this week. Lots of games could go either way.

Car 20 TB 13
    Chi 14 Min 20
    Cin 17 Pit 24 Steelers bounce back
    GB 10 Det 30
    Jac 24 Ind 34 Jacksonville defense still thinking about monday night
    NYJ 20 Buf 10 Pennington keeps rolling
    Ten 17 Mia 24 Young gets good playing and plays well
    Was 20 Hou 23 Carr steps up
    Bal 20 Clv 17 Tighter game than expected
    NYG 20 Sea 23 No comeback this week
    Phi 27 SF 14
    STL 10 Ari 17 Warner takes care of business
    Den 27 NE 21 Upset of the week. Plummer wakes up
    Atl 26 NO 17 A pressure game for Brees. We know he does in those.

24. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Playing Marco Polo in the shallow end of the kiddie pool at day care doesn't count.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,848
    Go ahead and take them, if you want a loss! You know I am right on this one, you just cant go without trying to say it is your idea all along!:icon_rofl:

26. underoath

underoath BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    haha, yea i meant 7 losses (4 the first week, 3 the second).

there was a 6 way tie leading up into monday night. 4 had PIT, 2 had JAC. i won on the combined score tiebreaker :icon_mrgreen:

i love office pools!

this is what I think this week:

Panthers (they'll abuse Sims)
    Bears (best team in the NFC)
    Bengals (will score too many points... rudi johnson is extremly under-rated)
    Packers (they are a better team than the Lions)
    Jaguars (they can beat the colts...jags are #2 in my power rankings)
    Bills (Donte Whitner is legit, as is that defense)
    Miami (Saban will get these guys headed in the right direction)
    Redskins (Portis is back, really think HOU can stop him?)
    Ravens (an elite team playing an 8-8 team)
    Seahawks (they will win at home and will get to Eli a few times)
    Eagles (McNabb to stallworth...all day long)
    Cardinals (will score lots of points in their new stadium)
    Patriots (too many playmakers for the broncos to defend)
    Falcons (forgot to add this one - Vick will continue his success running the ball)

27. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Ummm... Conc? :icon_huh:

You were kinda wrong. :icon_shrug:

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,848
    Ummmm.... And?

Carolina won at the last moment, and yeah the skins woke up against the Texans.

29. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I keep my record in my signature. You're doing much better than I am.