1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Thurman Thomas Said it Correctly......

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Oct 15, 2009.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Listening to ESPN radio on the ride home tonight and he was asked about if injuries could be used as an excuse for a team. His answer made a great point. He said that if a team has a negative affect with injuries that it should fall on the person in charge of players personel & scouting. His reasoning was that a backup should be just as good if not as good as the starter. Commented on how you can't have unproven players or rookies learning on the job and expect your team to play like nothing ever happened. He said that there are times where that might happen but it wouldn't be advisable.
    If I look at our team then what he said without a doubt made sense. People talk about depth and AJ always tried to make that point. Yet, the "depth" on our team blows. Look at the players that we have out with injuries and the players that replaced them. The more I look at what he said I would have to think that our scouting & AJ has failed. Folks always talk about how we can't use injuries as an excuse because every team has injuries throughout the year. That is true but I believe the successful teams are the ones that "have backup just as good as the starters or close to it". And that we are lacking!

2. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I would add the following considerations:
    1. If your starter is a true game changer: like a pre-injury Merriman then the odds are that there will be a drop off in talent from the starter to the backup.
    2. If you have a rash of injuries at the same time, there will be a drop off, partly due to the backups meshing with the starters and people getting shifted out of their normal position out of necessity.

The bottom line is that we have to go with the people we have...if they can't get it done, we will need some new people.

3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    This is completely unrealistic in the salary cap era, unless you build a team around a bunch of average players. The backup to a star player will be a dropoff most of the time and a lot of times it'll be significant, I mean do you think the Colts have a backup QB anywhere near as good as Peyton? Does that make their GM awful? No.

4. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Understood. Is his generalization off alittle bit because of the salary cap? Probably, but I'm also sure he didn't mean that you replace a probowler with a probowler. Look at it this way, AJ "seems" to go with unknown NFL tested talent over proven veterans. We could had Dawkins as a proven gamer that could have brought some leadership to a defense that needs it. Instead, he prefers to stay with players that are freshly drafted and players that would be starters on most other teams. Seems like he wants to go with superstars at certain positions and then hope the rest of the team can carry the rest of the weight, even knowing that year after year they haven't. Maybe get players that equal out in talent as oppsed to getting players that need alot of improvement from one player to the next.

5. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    There's nothing wrong with building a team around the draft. We had the best RB unit in NFL and it was all done via the draft (LT, Turner, Sproles). The thing is you gotta draft well, and AJ didn't the last few years, that is what has hurt our depth. This season's draft is a lot more promising we already have 1 rook starting and looks good, Ellison will be getting more playing time, English gets significant playing time etc.

Dawkins is a quality vet but it's not like AJ didn't try to sign a saftey (Phillips) who was much younger than Dawkins, but that isn't the way to build depth on a team. Drafting quality players is the way to do it in the Cap era.

6. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    True, but on paper we didn't seem to have alot of claring holes to fill but safety was an issue. The way I look at it is if you can fill a hole with a proven vet and stay within the cap, then why not?

7. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    We tried to. Unfortunately Phillips decided to go back with the Bucs, by then Dawkins was already signed with the Broncos and there wasn't much left in the FA pool.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Thuram is an expert in what regard, oh that's right he's an ex-player.