1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tiebreaking procedures

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Brundlefly, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    How do they work. I'm just curious about the 1 and 2 seed in the AFC. Houston currently is listed at 1 and Baltimore 2, but they played head to head with Baltimore winning. Doesn't head to head count for the top seeds or does it go to conference record or strength of common opponents or how does it work? I looked it up and could only find tiebreakers for within a division or between wildcard teams.

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Tie Breaking procedures are as follows:

3. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Bottom line on the tiebreakers: Chargers win out and all other AFC contenders implode over the next three weeks and we are probably in. "...so, your sayin' we've got a shot."

4. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    I saw that but on that page it says that's for two teams within a division. Also if going by head-to-head, that doesn't explain how Houston would be seeded ahead of Baltimore as they currently are on NFL.com's playoff picture.

5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    We need Denver to lose 3 straight, which is vs. New England, @ Buffalo and @ KC.. to have any shot.. we won't get any of the Wild Cards, Pitts/Balt will be 10+ wins, and the Jets are 8-5 with wee need them to lose 3 straight as well to win a Wild Card, which is @ Philly, vs. NYG, and @ Miami

We need the Bengals, Titans, and Raides to win 1 of their next 3.. as you can see the it will be very difficult so I don't know guess it ain't over til its over..

But don't hold your breathe

6. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Yea, this isn't necessarily to do with the Chargers, I'm just wondering how it works because the top 3 seeds don't seem right to me (Houston->Baltimore->NE) if head-to-head is the number one tiebreaker.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Dumb and Dumber, classic

8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    ugh
    This is only valid if we beat Tebow in Denver in the AFCCG :)

9. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
    1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    5. Strength of victory.
    6. Strength of schedule.
    7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    9. Best net points in conference games.
    10. Best net points in all games.
    11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    12. Coin toss
    Houston currently has the best conference record of the 3 teams tied for the #1 seed

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    My guess is conference record is one of the top tie breakers. Houston is 8-2 in the AFC while Balt is 7-2 in the AFC

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807