1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Time for the annual Fonoti & Boston on the come back trail thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, May 30, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Didn't we hear this last season, and the season before. Mr. two tons of fun is once again making a come back. Can he do it this time?

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Time for the annual Fonoti's making a come back thread.

..and just for a bonus laugh, David Boston is making a come back also.

With the Toronto Argos. :icon_rofl:

What's the steroid policy in the CFL?

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886

Section 842.1.23.56.901a of the CFL Players Code reads:
    "Do all drugs. We're in Canada, eh!"

:nana_rasta:

• Like Like x 1
  4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Pretty much sums it up right there, some things never change!!

:lol:

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I hope Toniu has got it... we'll see Sept 7th... Jamal will quite literally have his hands full....:yes:

a homecoming of sorts for Fonoti... and I'll bet people will still applaud him....

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Not me, can't stand that fat idiot

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Yeah, so now he's only eating half the pig instead of the whole thing...

[​IMG]

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I liked the big guy.

9. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    That's a suckling pig, not the whole momma jumbo pig. I love this comment = Fonoti called it a "rude awakening, an eye opener."

Translation: No more sex from mrs Fonoti until you get your arse into gear and start bringing home some more money, you are eating us out of house and home and mix in a salad once in a while!!!!

I always liked Toni, but wish his first passion was really football and not food!

Stan :rivers17:

10. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Me too. Fk Fonoti.

I like this line from the article:

"Reportedly Fonoti bulked up to 388 pounds"

What a homer article that is. As if Fonoti was hitting the weights too hard or something.

:icon_rofl:

11. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    Really??? Is that confirmed??? wow had no idea Toni was such a chick magnet, I thought he married back into the Samoan clans.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    bulked up in carolina must mean shovelling food in your mouth

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Is that sarcasm? :icon_shrug:

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I really liked him till I saw his work ethic. He had all the potential to be a pro bowl guard but once the money came in, he could now afford a $25K weekly grocery bill.

I never agreed with that phrase about "the more money you make, the bigger your problems become" but I guess this is one of those instances... LITERALLY!!!! :lol:

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    When he played, he was a very good OG. Then he married a stripper, "bulked up"(got fat) and started playing like crap. Dude was pushing 425-450 at the end.

[​IMG]

I hope he has woken up. The talent is there, he just needs to keep in shape.

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think the dude had issues, not just his weight and appetite. When focused and not as big, Fonoti was flat out dominate, the pancake king. But think about this, it all worked out. We would never have given Dielman a shot if Fatnoti didn't flake on us. But imagine Dielman and Fatnoti. Dayum, 2 tons of fun right there on the line!

17. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    No kidding.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20040731-634-fonoti.html

Fonoti saga takes a new twist or two

Guard misses first drills of camp amid family rift

By Brent Schrotenboer
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    July 31, 2004

CARSON – The mysterious saga of Toniu Fonoti took another strange turn yesterday when the offensive lineman failed to report for the Chargers' first practice of training camp because he didn't know when camp started, team officials said.

Fonoti, who will be fined for his absence, arrived at the team's training camp facility last night and would be present at practice today, according to his wife, U'Ilani. He is expected to report close to the weight desired by team officials – around 360 pounds – after what she called a "frustrating" offseason dispute over his weight, including issues about a training regimen and diet that were not sensitive to his Samoan ethnicity.

[​IMG]

"I don't know what happened with the miscommunication," Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said. "But I'm sure we'll ask questions about what happened, and I'm sure there will be a reason. Let's get him here, get him in uniform and take it step by step."

Fonoti's wife said her husband knew camp started today. But he apparently misunderstood that he was due to report Thursday and be on the field for a 3:55 p.m. practice yesterday.

His absence marks the latest chapter in an enigmatic career for the third-year guard from Nebraska. He missed all last season with foot and triceps injuries and was a no-show in the offseason at voluntary coaching sessions and at the start of mandatory minicamp. In the meantime, his weight increased to 388 earlier this summer – about 33 pounds more than the Chargers would like.

U'Ilani Fonoti said her husband was fined "extraordinary amounts" by the Chargers for being over his weight, though she declined to provide a specific figure. That treatment didn't sit well with Fonoti, whose personal life also has endured several problems over the past 22 months, including a family feud, injuries, financial difficulty and a car accident.

According to his wife, Fonoti, who is Samoan, disagreed with the Chargers' weight regimen and diet and decided to work with his own weight-management counselor and trainer in Houston, where his agent, Carl Poston, is based. The Chargers' regimen "didn't work for him," U'Ilani Fonoti said. "He's Samoan. He's not Caucasian. He's not Hispanic. He's not African-American. He's a different breed. They don't take into consideration that his bones and his body mass is a lot different. You can't compare him with anybody else on the team."

Chargers officials declined to elaborate or speculate on the issues that have affected Fonoti this year and have had minimal contact with him.

"It will be nice to say hello and see how he's doing," head coach Marty Schottenheimer said yesterday.

Fonoti had starred at Nebraska at nearly 370 pounds, U'Ilani said, another reason he has disagreed with the Chargers' demands on his weight and worked out on his own.

According to those who knew him, Fonoti was a model citizen at Nebraska. He had no unexcused absences and was cited once for being mildly out of shape, at the 2002 Rose Bowl against Miami.

The Chargers drafted him in the second round in 2002, making him the youngest player ever drafted into the NFL at age 20. He received a $1.74 million signing bonus and started 14 games his rookie season. His four-year contract is worth $3.1 million, including a $380,000 salary for 2004.

But court records document a string of personal troubles that began during his rookie season.

The Fonotis were married soon after he was drafted. Fonoti's parents, who considered themselves "close" and in regular contact with their son, were not invited to the wedding and did not attend. His father, Fonoti Fonoti, said they found out about the marriage not from their son but from the Chargers after it happened.

The elder Fonoti said he and his son had a "good relationship until she (the wife) came in," and he blames his son's marriage for the player's recent financial and professional woes.

It came to a boiling point in late 2002, when U'Ilani Fonoti filed for a restraining order against Fonoti's mother, Emaline. U'Ilani alleged that on Sept. 28, 2002, at a family gathering, Emaline "grabbed" the wife and blocked her exit. The court document stated the mother "attacked her son with a stool, striking him. Emaline continued to throw objects at (Toniu and his wife's) vehicle. Emaline verbally stated she should have shot her son."

In the document, Fonoti's wife also accused Emaline of "frequent harassing telephone calls." It said she "constantly appears (sic) place of employment, sitting for hours in lobby. When (Fonoti and his wife) appear, she grabs doors and attempts to spit on us."

The restraining order was never served on Emaline and therefore was never activated. When asked about it, Emaline said, "It was never served, so it can't be true."

Toward the end of his first season, Fonoti bought a $815,000 house in Alpine and borrowed $95,000 from a mortgage company shortly before the purchase. He still hadn't paid it back as of mid-July, according to court documents. He was sued by the company for breach of contract and owes the company $122,382, including interest.

It didn't help matters when on Sept. 15, 2002, at a time when his personal life was getting rocky, Fonoti rear-ended another car after a Chargers game. He was sued in small-claims court for $5,000 in damages. He ended up paying $3,000 but was described as "pleasant" after the accident by the victim, who still claims to have neck trouble from the incident. The family confrontation happened two weeks later.

"We weren't in contact with him last year at all," Emaline Fonoti said. It wasn't until earlier this summer that Toniu broke the silence by returning to his parents' home in Hawaii. His father recently underwent a kidney transplant, an apparent reason for Toniu to go home and attempt a reconciliation.

Saying the visit went "as well as can be," Emaline claimed her son's personal problems were in the past and said she wished that they remained private.

"If anything, he's very professional on the field," Emaline Fonoti said. "On the field, he's not a kid. All he needs to do is get back on the field. I think that's where he excels."

18. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

Darn those insensitive Chargers food preparers!!

I though she was Samoan "Uliani" unless of course he divorced her and found himself a new one! Too bad, so much wasted talent, could have posibly been a pro-bowler multiple times in SD.

19. HughC

HughC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21

Wasn't Boston cut by Tampa Bay last year after he was pulled over for DUI - under the influence of GHB?!!