1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Time for Vaughn Martin is Now

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Time for Martin is now
    Written by
    Chris Jenkins

Vaughn Martin is, in fact, a native of Jamaica. And he actually hails from the English-speaking part of Canada, which is a vast majority of The Great White North.

But he gets the point, nes pas?

Asked how he would tell Martin’s story, Chargers defensive-line coach Don Johnson said, “I would say that 'The Little Frenchman' has grown.”

Little??? Frenchman???

“I'm always getting on him, saying he played with a bunch of Frenchman (in Canada) and now he’s playing with the big boys,” said Johnson. “Not to insult the French, but he’s come a long way. Not to slam where he came from, either, but it’s almost like taking a player out of community college and putting him in the NFL.”

Understand, the University of Western Ontario is one of Canada’s most esteemed academic institutions. Judging from his extremely high scores in mental-aptitude tests given to prospective players before the NFL Draft of 2009 – not to mention some of the heady lines and vocabulary he drops on teammates in the defensive-line room -- the ultra-athletic, 6-foot-4, 308-pound Martin also is just as intellectually capable of handling the NFL’s demands.

But it’s true. All of Martin’s previous football experience was against, well, mostly guys whose dream team might be the Montreal Alouettes. Now, two-plus years after the Chargers made him their fourth-round pick, he’s no longer an NFL “project.”

“He’s played against Peyton Manning, he’s played against Tom Brady,” said Johnson. “He’s getting the feel of the game, the speed of the game. Nothing should shock him or fascinate him anymore about the level of play and what the expectations are.”

Otherwise affable and light-hearted, Martin might rather discuss his latest dental procedure than delve back into his circuitous personal journey from the Caribbean to Canada to California, if only because it perpetuates the notion that he might as well have been a Martian upon arrival in the NFL. His answers to such questions are halted, even pained, and he’d just as soon move on.

However, he will freely admit to having expectations of his own for this third season with the Chargers, albeit with few words. Well, one.

“Yes,” Martin said when asked if the time has come for him to firmly establish himself as an NFL player. “Yes.”

The Chargers have a veteran crew in what presently constitutes their starting three-man line, with Antonio Garay at the nose, Jacques Cesaire and Luis Castillo at the ends. The Chargers’ need for a force in the defensive line, though, was made crystal clear by the use of their No. 1 draft choice on run-stopping end Corey Liuget.

Here’s a switch: Liuget, who spent much of his lockout time in workouts with Martin, several other professional players and trainers in Boca Raton, Fla., already has benefited from Martin’s experience and NFL insight.

“First thing I noticed was how hard he worked, how he competes,” said Liuget. “He showed me techniques that Coach Johnson was going to use (in San Diego). When I got here, it was no problem because of what (Martin) had shown me.”

Johnson’s techniques have been getting drilled into Martin for two up-and-down seasons. Thrust too soon into action by injuries to others, Martin had his rookie struggles while playing somewhat out of position at nose tackle, was relegated to the inactive list for six weeks and returned to play for later games at his natural end position.

Offseason ankle surgery sidelined Martin from OTA’s and mini-camps. Just as he wasn’t seen much in games until the latter part of the 2010 season, people also didn’t see him and fellow defensive lineman Cam Thomas working out with Johnson on a side field every Monday, a non-practice day for players.

“It was about everything, like an expedited course,” said Martin. “Cam and I were the younger guys, we were trying to get on the field and they were trying to get us ready to win. It wasn’t just “We’re getting you ready to play, like, oh, you’re gonna dress this week.’ It was, “Let’s get you ready to play and contribute.’”

Martin said he's also learned more about keeping his body prepared to perform, and by all accounts, he arrived at camp both leaner and fitter than his first two seasons. His athleticism is unquestioned -- Martin played hockey in his youth and actually is quite adept with a soccer ball -- and his foot speed sometimes dazzles even the hard-to-impress Johnson.

"Something that big moving that fast?" said Johnson. "Vaughn's like a Ford truck with Porsche quickness."

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He is a mountain of a man.... I hope he shines this season.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Ditto

4. sdcfan18

sdcfan18 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I went to UWO with Vaughan and have watched closely since he was drafted. Great guy and your are right when you say he is HUGE. I watch the pre season games not only to see how our team sits behind the starters, but also to see Vaughans progress. It's great to see that a player from an "academic" school in Canada can not only go to my favourite team, but contribute to its success. Hopefully he breaks through and becomes the player he has the potential to become.

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Gotta love the Vicious Jamadian.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The kid has had an incredible learning curve. Some folks are down on him but I have one thing to say .... if we can give Buster Davis as much opportunity to succeed as we did,Martin sure as hell deserves a little more time to develop.

I'd ditch that slug outta UNC far quicker than Martin. Thomas has never shown much desire & I seriously doubt that he ever will.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'd like to see Martin come alive and show this athletic ability he has, hell the man can ice skate. I don't know much about the brand of football they play up north but I understand the transition is huge and it would be worth it if he can become a force on the field.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The firs year I know the coaches were working on his foot and hand work. Last year I didnt make it out to camp, but when I spoke with Martin, I felt small and I am 6'2". He is big, has some great upper body strength. If he can get the small fundamentals I think he can be uber good... He is one of the younger players I am rooting for in my 'rainbows and sunshine' wrold...

9. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It's time the worm turns for the Chargers and a real bad arsed defense will be the key. When folks think of the Bolt's they envision an electric offense and no defense, it's got to change. Klein destroyed the only true defensive team the Bolt's had and sent them off to Frisco, I was happy when he sold the team but they have never reached that same peak again. Now, I want Ski to lead this defense to be hell on opposing offensive units. While I love to watch the offense light up the board, my heart lies with good old fashion defense and the dirtier the better.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I'm one of those guys. I've seen him pushed around and on his butt too much to think he's suddenly going to develop.

Ignoring the draft position, Buster made some catches. I'm not sure what Martin has done.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Serviced your mom?

12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Well if Martin or you are into servicing 73 year old women... to each his own, dude. lol

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ahhhh sometimes, sharing is NOT caring... :sick:

14. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    The really great thing about participating in forums is that you can still type - even with both feet in your mouth! :cool:

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'm just hoping Martin can get out on the field and create havoc. This defense needs a TUDE and a bad one at that.

16. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I agree - when Norv was talking about the need for more "explosion" on defense up on the line, I don't think he was just talking about Liuget - hoping this is Martin's year. Word is he likes Manusky's stunting with the D-line and could thrive on it. We'll see eh? :bolt:

17. Radcliffe

Radcliffe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Can you tell Vaughn Martin that, Radcliffe from (Scarborough/Toronto) wants to meet with him. He'll know what you mean, tell him I tried playing goalie but it didn't work out lol...Also I've been around Vaughn since he was 13 and I was 15. He is a natural born athlete, you guys stand behind him 100% and he won't disappoint. Let me know what he says and I'll send you my contact info for him to get a hold of me. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    So far so good today

19. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp Jesus gives wisdom if you pray for it! Banned

Ratings:
    +4
    Keep
    + Martin he looks good. #92
    + Luiget also looks good.

- Cut Todman too small not fast enough TBH.

20. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Todman is really unimpressive. He looks a lot slower than I thought he would.

21. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    Keep
    + Martin he looks good. #92 (Strong/fast for his size)
    + Luiget also looks good. #94 (Looks powerfull)
    + #25 keep him

- Cut RB #40 Todman too small not fast enough TBH. (He should have gotten into EZ untouched with that space he had.)
    - Cut #44 Brinkley. Same issues.

22. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Todman will be the 3rd RB....... #imjustsaying ;)

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    And in further news... Water is wet... #imjustsaying ;)

24. DesertBoltFan

DesertBoltFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Liked Vaughn's game yesterday. Luiget has looked very good so far, not intimidated by the whole thing and making plays.
    Todman IMO is going to be a very good 3rd down back and a spot relief RB. It takes time to get your NFL legs under you, he is learning the pro game and will be fine. He has the talent, runs well, holds onto the ball, and catches passes. Once he learns the blocking schemes and learns the pro defenses he will be fine. IMO.

25. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    We have 3 RB's already, I'm confused?
    fullback what more do we need at RB?

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    How does a guy who lead the league in every major defensive and offensive stat, was MVP of the galaxy and all around best athaleet ever get confused over simple roster moves? :cautious:

27. 1 COOL GUY 13x world Chmp

Ratings:
    +4
    As a player. I'm not good with knowing who's who on this team :). I know strats and how to play, dominate football only from the wisdom God gave me. I know my role. Once in a while I like to have input on players just for fun.

I think its great if we don't have FB on this team. I though i argued to not have a FB and everyone said we needed one? I am confused today TBH. What-ever happened to that bulldog RB that i thought would be good we drafted unrestricted? I would hope he was our #3 RB.

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Does not pass.....

[​IMG]

The sniff test....

29. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Stopped reading after "God."