1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Time to bench Tomlinson?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Cyanide Mint, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Cyanide Mint

Cyanide Mint BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    What do you think? Admitedly Tomlinson has said he has not been 100%, 41 yards last game against Buffalo.....

I think it's time to ride a little pine and get back to 100%.

2. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    How do you figure putting Tomlinson on the bench will be an incentive? Do you want him punished for something that may be beyond his control?

3. Cyanide Mint

Cyanide Mint BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Not punishment, just if Tomlinson needs time to get healthy I think he needs to take it. Lately hes been an average back at best.

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    You're not a carbonated beverage... :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I don't think LT needs to be benched at all. Granted, he's not 100% right now but just as much of a factor is the O-line blocking & more importantly the blocking by Tolbert.

I love Yogi - he has the things LoNeal didn't, but he's also lacking in the one skill that made LoNeal the HOF caliber players he is. BLOCKING. The creases and the holes just aren't there for LT this season like they were in years past. Would a 100% LT be doing better? Sure, but not by much IMO. There's a reason that the backs behind LoNeal had the stats they did...

6. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    "bench" is not the right word. You do not bench a HOF rb. The right phrase is put him on the Injury list. Should of happened after week 1 and he probably would of been 100% by now. Bad decision by the staff.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    People who have had his injury say he won't be 100% till next season and this injury has limited his playing ability.

I agree with c31b that bench may not be the right word but I say " let Sproles, Tolbert, and even Hester carry more of the game."

8. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    We ran the ball fourteen times. The offense does not run through LT anymore, it now runs through Rivers and the deep passing game entirely. Those deep passes take away offensive possessions, which takes away chances for LT and the offensive line to find their rhythm. The running game hasn't lost us any games this year. It hasn't won us any games this year, but you can't expect it to win you any games when you don't give them the opportunities. How many carries does LT have this year? Benching him would do no good, other than to piss off the guys in the locker room.

9. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30

If LT isn't 100%, change the rotation to give him a rest. Run Sproles, Tolbert & Hester. Tolbert will improve with more experience (he can catch and runs a whole faster than LoNeal). When that rotation gets stale, let LT in to do his thing. You can keep a D coordinator off balance with this set-up.

10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Jesus wept.

11. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I don't think that there would be much point in that when our runningbacks are getting fewer than twenty carries. Maybe if we were running the ball thirty times a game, than I would expect to have a bigger rotation, but right now there just aren't a lot of carries to go around.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I wouldn't bench LT but I'd use running back by committee. It doesn't look to me that our running game has the same punch as it use to. Our Oline needs to get better quick.

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    This, is something we don't seem to know how to do

:no:

14. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Tough to say. But I will say this, it seems like Sproles finds holes that LT can't and Sproles shoots through the holes that LT just can't seem to do this year.

If that warrants playing Sproles over LT then so be it.

15. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    You gotta go with what works to stay competitive. Sproles has a talent for running under defenses.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    upon seeing all your posts, he weeps

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    can't be that hard, worthless teams do it to us almost all the time

18. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30

LT & Sproles have different running styles. LT was our offense for several years and I think time/getting hit may have caught up with him. Does that mean we should bench him or trade him? Absolutely not! We have become too predictable (run LT to the left or up the middle) and the D is waiting, hence little or no yards. Sproles is younger, fresher, faster and does a lot of things well. He will keep a D honest. I'm a huge fan of Tolbert because he is a good runner, receiver and with time, he can be a good blocker.

Our best chance to open the O is to use our backs for the swing, halfback option (This is where LT shines) when we can't get the pass downfield. Grant it, it's easy from my viewpoint (couch, with remote and an occasional beer), but we aren't mixing things up. Now I'll get off my soapbox.

19. Cyanide Mint

Cyanide Mint BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    I agree, we really should mix in Sproles more just for the shaking it up factor. Previous posts are suggesting we have become too predictable, I totally agree. I too would like to see a rotation of back until Tomlinson feels he's back.

As far as the baby Jesus weaping..... I too am choked up about the whole situation.

20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    'Specially after reading somma the bullshit you post.

• Like Like x 1
  21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    i don't care particularly what he thinks, you should

22. wwwGRIDIRONJERSEYScom

wwwGRIDIRONJERSEYScom BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, I think letting LT get healthy is a very good idea especially with the bye week coming up in 2 weeks. Give super sub Sproles a bigger part of the running & passing game, not just special teams.

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    What's your problem???? I've been *** clowned for less.:icon_shrug::icon_huh: