1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Time to reboot in San Diego?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by allendas, Nov 13, 2011.

1. allendas

allendas Bolts 2013!!!

Ratings:
    +6
    The San Diego Chargers still have the time and the means to win the AFC West crown this season, but even if that happens, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune argues, it's time for the team to make some major adjustments, both on the field and off it.
    We won't know in the short-term whether head coach Norv Turner and his staff or general manager A.J. Smith are safe beyond the 2011 season. Team president Dean Spanos has typically completed such assessments in the offseason, though this doesn't mean that he's not in the information gathering stage currently.
    From an on-field standpoint, Acee notes that players slated for spot duty at the season's onset have been pushed into extensive roles, and this has been a big part of why the team has struggled. For some of the injured starters, their maladies have been a result of bad luck; for others, however, their decline should have been foreseen before the season -- with suitable replacements signed or drafted -- and the lack of that foresight falls at the feet of the GM.
    A big turnaround on the field in the remaining contests may give Spanos some caution this upcoming offseason, but it certainly seems like there will be significant turnover for the Bolts in 2012.

Link

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Holes I see in our roster:
    RT - Like always
    ILB - Spikes is old, and we needs someone who can cover a TE.
    CB - Jammer is old, Cason sucks, Gilchrist TBD.
    SS - Like it has been since Harrison left.
    WR - VJack still doesn't have a long term deal, Floyd, Crayton, and Goodman are non-existant.
    TE - Gates is slowing down, we should have been grooming someone already.
    KR/PR - Crayton is okay, but not explosive. Goodman is the worst KR in the NFL.

Thats a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Areas to be fixed
    RT - Agreed, Clary has been a disaster
    RG - Not impressed with Vasquez
    OLB - Like Barnes, Like Phillips, neither are real difference makers
    SS - Either with Jammer or a proper SS
    TE - Find a proper backup to Gates
    CB - Last because not sure about Wright, Gilchrist & Traye Simmons who the Chargers have been grooming

Willing to withhold judgment on DE, ILB (Mouton, can't believe I'm doing that), WR

• Like Like x 1
  5. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    So
    So in other words, we need to rebuild again

• Like Like x 1
  6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Also adding to my notes...

NT - Gary is 32 already, and is on the last year of his deal. He could choose to cash in and bail.
    RG - Vasquez is I believe on his last year.
    C - Hardwick is on his last year.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I like Alameda Ta'amu, DT, Washington, He's a very good NT and would fit the system well. But with Cam Thomas in training and some decent later round options including Josh Chapman, I'm not thinking of immediately addressing it. RG I'd think long and hard about Cordy Glenn who should fall in the draft. C, I think Hardwick has earned another contract

8. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    No, rebuilding is needing a lot more players and a lot more positions fixed. Three positions need an immediate fix (SS/RT/RG), one you've drafted some players and kept some on PS so your unsure (CB) and one needs a playmaker but has some decent players already (OLB yes - Phillips starting with Laboy and Barnes backing up would be good, need another player)

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I agree with all that.

I'd like to see us draft a CB like Kirkpatrick or Claiborn, and move Jammer to SS, killing two birds with one stone.
    I'd also like to see us tap into the OT talent in this draft which is PLENTIFUL.
    I'd also like to see us get a guy like Vontaze Burfict, the Ray Lewis mentality is exactly what we need on defense.

In short we have too many problems to fix in 1 year.....unless we decide to spend some money on FAs for once.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    The Chargers have NEVER had a problem with spending money. They've been at the cap every year going back to 2001. The issue is not always spending it wisely. We spent a lot this past off-season not just resigning our guys but adding Sanders/LaBoy/Spikes/etc. I could see us adding people in FA but the issue is finding players that mesh with the system & attitude of our (hopeful) new coach runs. But don't forget, as an extreme example, the 49ers are using basically the same players from last year but are running a hell of a lot better

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Not wisely? Would you consider 20 mil to Jerome Clary unwise?:eek: LOL

It agree it starts with coaching, I was on the hire Harbaugh bandwagon along with everyone else. Simply using our talent the right way would go a loooong way in the right direction.

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I'd like to see the Jammer to SS now. Looks like he is struggling somewhat at corner (slowing down perhaps) and we are desperate for SS help, neither Gregory or Oliver are adequate.

We are v thin at LB both inside and outside, need help there. The O line only has at a push 4 guys capable of being capable NFL players, nevermind starters. We so need some decent beef there. All in all I might look at moving to a 4-3 and using the likes of Barnes as a DE. Martin, Liuget and Garay could be good DTs in rotation. Castillo might just survive as a DT, he is not a 4-3 DE ever. I'm really surprised that McMichael has not excelled in Gates absence. I remember McMichael playing real well at Miami, maybe again it is a case of being past it. A quick young aggressive TE would be nice, Sperry looks a tad slow for me. VJ at 100% should be signed longterm, Floyd can't stay healthy so we need another WR. Brown looks good but he will always be a slot/possession receiver for me. Can Goodman be the burner on the outside?, I don't see it.

13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Your original point is that the Chargers are cheap, that's absolutely not the case. And even back when Clary was signed I saw the logic because he was arguably (maybe Ryan Harris was better and I liked him) one of the better tackles on the market. And the fact he'd been in the chargers system for so long helped too. This year the tackle crop is MUCH better including Demitrius Bell, Vernon Carey, Kareem McKenzie, & King Dunlap not to mention a fantastic collection of guards including Carl Nicks, Ben Grubbs (would love to get him) & Deuce Lutui

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Why do people always put words in my mouth around here?

I didn't say we were cheap, we always do a good job of re-signing our own. What I said was we rarely spend money in FA, and thats true. I was happy with the Spikes and Sanders signings (both quality low risk FAs), but it kills me that AJ keeps hitching his wagon to god damn Jerome dogshit Clary.

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Maybe you are not aware of what you are typing?
    You leave your mouth open and people want to fill the void?
    Monkey see, monkey do?
    Payback is a beeotch?
    What is good for the goose is good for the gander?
    They love to torment you?
    They want to see you cry?
    They are reading what you are posting and drawing conclusions from it as happens in any conversation, verbal or text?
    It is a sensativity test?
    They are calling the whaaaaambulance?
    They hav nothing better to do?
    We have a pool to see who can crack you first, and Ant is winning?
    The moon is in the fifth house of Jupiter?
    To cross the road?
    Because the sky is falling?
    Because you call a game a loss 10 minutes into it?
    Because you are that popular?

Any of those tickle your fancy?:D

16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Championships are won in the trenches. We need a entire overhaul on both O and D lines. That and we need a coaching staff dedicated to achieving that excellence.

17. LakeShow

LakeShow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    We don't need a new engine, we just need some new tires. Fill some gaps and add some depth while adding players not injury prone and we can compete again next year

18. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    I think our squad has more holes than a mobsters lincoln!

19. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Some areas of need:
    WR - If they can retain VJ then this will be ok, as Floyd still under contract and Vincent Brown looking promising, may look for a low cost free agent to provide depth.
    SS - I hear people say about potentially moving Jammer here, if they can't do that then we are in need of a legit starting safety to go next to Weddle.
    CB - If Jammer moves (or even if he doesn't), it's looking like we need some help here.
    ILB - I like Butler, he looks very good IMO, not a lot to go on with Mouton as he got hurt, and Spikes seems a good leader but is old, so we will need at least a depth player here.
    OLB - Biggest area of need on D in my view, no depth here, i would like to see English back for 1 more shot (as a bench player), but we need a legit starter to go opposite Phillips. I do think Barnes has performed admirably lately, but still wonder if he is an every down player.
    RB / KR - We have bigger needs, but a quick RB who can catch and return punts would be an excellent addition as we have missed a good kick returner this season, Goodman sucks!

Coach - We have a need here too haha.

20. LakeShow

LakeShow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    We have a good core on offense, but as mentioned in many other posts we do need to add some depth at some positions and plug some holes at other places.

21. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    That and we need a new driver... Norval has ruined the Ferrari and turned it into a Yugo.