1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Time to Rebuild

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    PARIS: Looks like it's time to rebuild the Chargers
    By JAY PARIS jparis@nctimes.com | Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:45 pm

SAN DIEGO - Did the Chargers get Tebowed or Turnered?

Maybe a little of both as their losing streak hit six with a 16-13 overtime loss to the Denver Broncos at Qualcomm Stadium on Sunday.

The Broncos' Tim Tebow completed only nine passes, but he won with a gutsy effort the Chargers couldn't stop.

Chargers coach Norv Turner, whose seat grows hotter, had to explain why he shut down his offense in the closing seconds of regulation when he had a Pro Bowl quarterback, wide receiver and tight end at his disposal.

There are thousands of reasons the Chargers have equaled last year's loss total with five games remaining. The most obvious: they aren't very good.

The last-place Chargers proved it again on a day where rays of sunshine and positive vibes were abundant. The stadium was full, Chargers legend Junior Seau entered the team's Hall of Fame and the setting was keen for a big win to jump-start a late-season run.

Then again, this is the 2011 Chargers, a team that illustrates the erosion of a franchise that at one time was decent.

Now the Chargers are dreadful, and the chatter will increase on the job security of Turner and general manager A. J. Smith. Now team president Dean Spanos, who was booed at halftime, has to make a quick decision on their status so he can get busy turning this mess around.

This sinking ship has endured a slow, painful decline that was ignored for too long. The Chargers have been slipping for two years – they're 13-15 since the end of the 2009 regular season – and if you haven't noticed, well, that's on you.

Tebow was on everyone's mind Sunday, and it's easy to see why. What he lacks in arm strength he compensates for with confidence and a middle-linebacker's mentality when running the ball.

And with the Chargers' run defense getting steamrolled and the offense blowing numerous chances to extend its lead, Tebow hung around. Finally on the Broncos' third overtime possession, they took advantage of Nick Novak's missed 53-yard field goal attempt and won the game six plays later on Matt Prater's 37-yard field goal.

But what were the Chargers thinking with the score tied at the end of regulation? Turner let the final seconds tick away rather than let quarterback Philip Rivers heave a long pass from the Chargers 38-yard line.

It reeks of a team giving up, being afraid of going for a win and an embattled coach maneuvering with every conservative bone in his body.

"No one threw in the towel,'' Turner said. "We were sitting there and Philip was having a tough time getting the ball into the end zone, No. 1. No. 2, I don't think we would've (pass) protected and got it off.''

There was no No. 3, just like there will be no season No. 6 for Turner. He's done.

But he wasn't finished with head-scratching scenarios. Let's go to overtime, when Ryan Mathews capped the best game of his career by running for 17 yards on two carries to perch the Chargers at the Denver 31.

Rather than give it to Mathews again, the Chargers took him out of the game. Instead, Mike Tolbert got the next two touches, and his second one was a punishing 4-yard loss that left Novak to attempt a 53-yarder to win the game. The kick faded wide right.

"I don't know why he came out,'' said Turner of Mathews, and if Turner doesn't know, who does?
    Turner said running backs coach Ollie Wilson handles the substitutions, and well, that's about all the reasoning Turner had.

Strange things are happening in Mission Valley, with the Chargers careening down a mountain of ineptitude.

Remember back to the good old days, when the first-place Chargers were 4-1 and leading the Jets 21-10 at halftime?

"We let that one slip away,'' Rivers said of the Meltdown in the Meadowlands. "Obviously we know what happened in Kansas City, which is a shame, and then it's just snowballed out of control.''

The Chargers have wilted, like Frosty the Snowman on a hot day. This wasn't a must-win, but it was must-have and the desperate Chargers couldn't muster the gumption to score more than 13 points in nearly five quarters. Now they're three games behind the first-place Oakland Raiders with five games to play.

"We knew what winning this game would do from a morale standpoint, from a keeping-us-in-the-hunt standpoint,'' Rivers said. "This game was huge. Effort doesn't get you anything, but we gave all we have. It just hasn't been enough the last six weeks.''

It has been 10 years since the Chargers lost six straight games. That came in a season in which they dropped their final nine, a low-water mark they are approaching with alarming speed.

After that 2001 disaster, the Chargers hired the NFL coaching equivalent of FEMA – Marty Schottenheimer. He eventually turned the team around, but not before two painful years.

Get ready for another rebuilding process.

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I don't consider it a "rebuilding" project, I think a good coach can get this team to the playoffs, and a new GM might draft some good players that can make this team great again (while still in Rivers' prime)

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,728
    Before you can rebuild, you gotta bring in the demo crew to knock everything down to the foundation. The Bolts need that...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    We don't even have the best personnel in our division. Look around at this roster...... they aren't the team they used to be.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I don't know if it's personnel or coaching. There are good players on offense, with some health and good coaching they can still be in the top scoring offenses in the league. What would you think a good DC would do with Martin, Thomas, Leigut, Butler, etc. those guys have talent.

I maintain, a good HC (with good coordinators) can get this team to the playoffs while a good GM drafts some good players to strengthen the team

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The team, as currently populated, doesn't have enough talent to win in the playoffs. They aren't even configured to beat the teams in their own division. The Raiders have manhandled the Chargers two years in a row. That's not just a lack of coaching, it's a lack of the right personnel.

The Raiders and Chiefs have both added athletically talented players to their rosters. The Chargers have good "football players", but are sadly lacking in impact players. They don't have the team speed of either Oakland or KC, nor the big dominating bruisers that can takeover the line of scrimmage. Outside of a few players (mainly on offense), the Chargers talent level is very average..... that doesn't win you championships.

7. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I'll bet that was fun to do.

100% true right there.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    It's both.

Yes, we absolutely used to be loaded on both sides of the ball. Key phrase: "used to be". Those days are long over.
    THIS

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Am I the only person who thinks the Chargers don't need a total rebuilding but more like serious renovation? Unlike the Rams/Lions/Panthers, teams that have had to be built from the ground up, the Chargers have a lot of pieces that those teams didn't have. The left side of their offensive line, a solid core of running backs, a QB who is very good but having a very bad year, a defensive line with some young talent (Martin, Thomas, Liuget, Garay) and some decent defensive players (Phillips, Butler, Barnes, weddle).

What they need are

Some defensive playmakers (hard part)
    An improved right side of the offensive line
    More pass rushers
    A strong safety

That doesn't strike me as a total rebuilding so much as some major renovation. Let's also realize that if we are into a "Let's just tear the whole damn thing down and start from scratch" that could mean

New defensive scheme
    New offensive scheme
    New players needed to fit #1 & 2
    Time to have the players learn both

I'm not saying we shouldn't get new coaches or anything like that, but if we tear everything down, be prepared for the Chargers not being good for a good 2-3 years and that assumes we get hits on all of our picks/FAs

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Left side of what O-line? :confused:

You mean the LT with stenosis and chronic neck injuries, and the LG with a series of concussions and seizures? Yeah, that's something you can count on to be productive going forward.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chargers24x7.com

Chargers24x7.com BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    How metaphorically fitting that while the Chargers are pissing away their season Nick Novak is caught pissing away on camera. Rebuild? Absolutely!

Kind of sickens me to watch these former Chargers (Brees, Sproles) play such an exciting brand of football in N'awlins and we're left Peebowing with Norv Turner. Ted Turner or Tina Turner seem more appealing to me!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Yes, the LT that has been solid and played through injuries most of his career and has been very effective. And yes the LG who has had ONE seizure and concussion this year, which does not equal a series unless 1 all of a sudden is more then a single digit. And if you want to throw it out there as well, Hardwick has played well this entire year and the Chargers feel like they have a good C in Colin Baxter who they are grooming to possibly replace Hardwick

So yes the left side is in much better shape then the right side

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    McNeill's best year was as a rookie. He's play since then has been rather uneven. Marcus has definitely benefited from having Dielman at his side. Tamba Hali beat him like a turnstile, so I wouldn't exactly call him an elite LT.

Dielman has had concussions before..... this isn't the first. He also had a seizure as a child. Some people are more genetically prone to these things. The fact that he's missing the rest of the season due to a concussion should be a concern.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Do you think he missed wide right?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,728
    I don't know about, but I certainly wouldn't be drinking any Gatorade from those coolers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Turnered.

Next question....

17. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Not time to rebuild, just to restructure. We're literally a few pieces and some solid depth away from making a good run.