1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Time to talk about hiring a new GM?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Jan 19, 2010.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I think B4L has been right all these years. Through so many different coaches, players, seasons etc... one thing has remained constant in dragging this team into oblivion, a bad general manager. Sure AJ is a great scout, we should keep him for that but as a GM maybe he is to blame for this latest choke. Now he is hiring back norv turner and Nate Kaeding wit little thought and ready to set up for another choke next year. Maybe its time to show AJ SMITH THE DOOR...:icon_shrug:

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :lol:

Yeah, that's gonna happen.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Go away sonny, you bother me. :icon_rofl:

4. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    AJ built a team that has been to 4 straight division title-backed playoff trips, he can do nothing more to ensure the success of this franchise except for promote cohesiveness in the organization, which hiring Norv actually promotes.

I can see you getting on Norv's case--he was not himself on Sunday, and I am sure that he realizes it with all of the short plays and failed runs...but he has done enough this season alone, never mind the past 3 seasons, to earn another shot.

AJ, on the other hand, has done a fantastic job finding talent, managing the books, and giving us a shot to win every single year.

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    funny, fans are blaming the gm cause a couple charagers players made some mental mistakes during the game.

6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    All right, I'm about 90% sure that you actually ARE B4L.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Oh brother not this again

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Talk to the mods then you can be 100% SURE that it's NOT me.

Yes, I want AJ gone but I know it won't happen.

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    AJ4LIFE!!!

10. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

I'm an AJ supporter and I believe he's done a good job of finding us talented players. However, despite the talent they obviously lack mental toughness which will end up killing us in the playoffs no matter who our coach is. Marty and Norv = playoff chokes. The common denominator is the players.

I think it also has to do with AJ's stubborness on building soley through the draft. We don't have any veteran leadership on this team and I believe that's more important than coaching. We need some veterans on this team who are vocal and that command respect from the other players.

I'll be interested to see how AJ reacts this offseason in freeagency. I don't know if AJ is God, but I still say he's better than 90% of the other GM's in this league. We have talent which is a lot more than most other teams have. We're worried about winning a superbowl, a lot of other teams are just praying for a winning record.

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    AJ is signed through 2014, we've won the division 5 of the last 6yrs, he ain't goin nowhere.

12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Uh, Spanos gave Norv the 3 year extension, not AJ. AJ doesn't make that decision.

As for Kaeding, AJ made that decision. If you're going to call for someone's head, at least get your facts straight.

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    AJ is not on the field shanking kicks. He makes those kicks, there would be a different set of threads here. AJ picked up the strays that helped us win 11 in a row. He kept VJ around, and Malcom and some young guys who might make decent starters on the O Line or at least give us more depth if we draft a few higher than the middle rounds for a change. I doubt a guy like that will be fired anytime soon. There are too many other guys doing an awful lot worse.

14. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82

Great post. you're absolutely right.

15. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    AJ is one of the best GM's in the business, but his ego knows no bounds!

If Alex Spanos had some balls to put his foot down and tell him to get over himself and just do his job we would be in much better shape.

Norv is just a puppet for AJ...someone that will never question him or his methods...that will make the team play the way AJ wants it to...WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS?

AJ has taken the reins, well and truly, of this team and so any success or failures that this team experiences could be attributed in small part to him. Maybe AJ deserves some of the credit for our failures...

after al...he signed up all this players and got his man Norv in there to coach them!

16. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Sure sure...Spanos also fired Marty, but if you think it was Spanos that wanted marty out...then your pretty naieve...arn't ya?!

AJ runs this team...not Spanos! Don't be fooled people

17. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Prove it

18. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

NO!!!

19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    :kisskiss:

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Didn't B4L tell you?

AJ Smith tells Dean Spanos what to do.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

What is AJ paid to do? Build the team.
    AJ had been trying to persuade Dean to fire Marty since day one. Dean didn't want to do it but one of them had to go... no if, ands or buts. So he made his decision.

As we all know, only Dean can put someone on pay role or hand someone a pink slip but AJ makes decision... meaning he brings the plan to Dean and see if Dean agrees.
    If AJ felt it was time to get a new coach, that would be more than up for discussion. Norv is still here because he will never question AJ's motives, bring his ideas to the table or anything else to that matter... unless it's something as blatantly obvious at Fat Teddy.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    So, what you're saying is, it's Dean's decision.

Thank you for finally realizing this. :clap:

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Dean can reject it if he wants to but it's AJ's plan. If it fails, it's on AJ's hands. Dean put the trust in AJ that it will succeed.

I can't speak for everybody but when I say "AJ gave whoever this"... it's just easier to say that then explaining the whole business process.
    THOSE WHO KNOW THE BUSINESS PROCESS, KNOW WHAT I MEANT!!!

24. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Do you have any proof to back this up?

25. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Spanos was actively trying to get Marty and AJ to work together...publically supporting Marty...then all of a sudden he fires Marty after 14-2 season...how much more proof do you need!

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    If Dean doesn't like AJ's direction he doesn't have to accept it.

Not every team leaves hiring and firing of the head coach to the owner.

Dean fired Marty. Dean hired Norv. Dean extended Norv.

I'm sure AJ was happy about all three, and I'm sure he lobbied for all three, but he didn't do any of the three.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    The only proof I need is an understanding of who owns the team.

Are you seriously telling us the Spanos family runs a business where the employees tell the employers what to do?

I don't tell my employers what to do or who to fire and I'm sure you don't tell your boss what to do.

Who's the naive one here?

Dean Spanos could have just as easily fired AJ after that season. Dean Spanos chose AJ over Marty.

28. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Are you a religous person Brundlefly?

29. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

How long have you been following this team for?
    If it's been since at least 2002... you wouldn't need to ask this question.

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That's what I said. That's what a GM does!!! There for... this is AJ's project!!!