1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Time Warner cable & ESPN?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Not sure if this is the right forum, but I am forced to use Time Warner, because of where I live. I know there are the U-Verse, and Direct TV options.

However, I heard a commercial this AM warning TW viewers that ESPN is in dispute over their contract with TW. Probably much like TW is in dispute with NFL network.

This means there will be not be ESPN on TW, therefore no Monday night football.

It is bad enough, I don't get the NFL network, thurs games during the season, but I enjoy some MNF!

Anyone else concerned? I tried U-verse, I didn't like it much.

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
  3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I just got rid of Direct TV; they shut down my service because of one late payment. I use Chase as my Bank, when I scheduled a payment to Direct TV using Chase, it got to Direct TV one day late. Direct TV demanded a late payment immediately. They ended up shutting down my service because of it. I told them i got paid on last Friday; a payment would be made using my Banks online banking. Because they did not have the money by Sunday, they shut my service off. I get Cox cable this Friday. Not only that Direct TV does not broadcast any of the Padres Games.

4. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I am so sick and tired of TW and their approach to the NFL Network and ESPN. They aren't going to do any consumer any favors(TW). If I could I would trade ESPN for The NFL Network in a heartbeat. ESPN is so east coast biased I just dont care about their reporting. For the NFL and TW to have this stalemate lasting so long I just gave up caring. I just say whatever to TW.

5. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    According to the ticker on www.ihavechoices.com we only have 9.5 days of ESPN left!!!! :icon_eek::tdown:

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I still don't get how TW and Cox have been allowed to have their monopoly by setting up a system where people can't choose between the 2 of them. Without a choice between cox and TW, they have a monopoly over CABLE service, which is complete crap.

I have DTV now, get Sunday ticket during football and will be getting the MLB extra Innings package next year. This will allow me to watch the Chargers and Padres when ever I want

7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Glad I have Cox cable. Never had any issues with them and their cable service.

8. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    That is the other problem if I go back to U-Verse, then I will not get the Padres channel. Normally, I wouldn't really care about the Padres, but admittingly, I am currently on the bandwagon! :lol:

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    that is one of the main reasons I am going back to Cox Cable. I miss the Padre Games.

10. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    You are lucky to have Cox in your area.

Btw, so if MNF is on ESPN, and TW contract is up with ESPN in 9 days, then I guess I will not get the season opener vs. Chiefs on monday night.... :tdown:

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    That is, unfortunately, correct. But you could try to find a free stream on Justin.TV.

12. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Actually the game might be on a network here in SD. I think it is done that way for the people who dont have cable they make games like this available to a network like the preseason games. I think:icon_huh:

13. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    If you live in SD the game will be on KFMB (channel 8). So as long as it's an SD game (and it isn't blacked out) you won't miss them. So it won't be that bad.

It's too bad TW and Cox don't compete, because Cox would push them out of SD.

Not sure if it happened but didn't TW move the Padres games out of their basic package (the cheapest one below $20)?

14. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    wow even I will get MNF here in the UK on ESPN

15. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    This is what I was hoping for, thanks! Sucks, I might miss the rest of the MNF games.... :tdown:

I called TW yesterday to inquire what the status of their impending contract with ESPN, and I got a phone tree, then sent to a rep, then it gave me the error sound and hung up on me.

To be honest, I didn't expect them to tell me what was going on, but I was thinking of cancelling, and going back to U-verse. :unsure:

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    They would also push the cost of each down, which is why they have an agreement not to compete with each other

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    U-Verse or Direct TV, either one is a better choice. Unfortunately, both choices eliminate you from getting Padre games for free. You will need to buy a $200 MLB package

18. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Not if he lives in San Diego. The MLB package only brings you out of market games. Padre games are blacked out to anyone who has the MLB package in the San Diego market. I had the MLB package on DirecTV for awhile. Besides not getting the Padres, I found that there could be 12 games being played and with the MLB package, you'd maybe get to watch 2 or 3. Other days all games would be available for viewing.

One thing to note, an FCC ruling that would require teams like the Padres to sell their signal (in this case, channel 4sd) was upheld by a judge earlier this year. Cox actually owns 4sd, and resells the signal to Time Warner. According to a tv industry "rumor" site, Cox is negotiating with DirecTV, Dish & AT&T (Uverse) to carry 4sd. Doubtful you'll see 4sd on any of those carriers this season though.

Another team in the same boat are the Phillies. They have a contract with Comcast and, like the Padres, wouldn't allow DirecTV or Dish to carry them.

19. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I anticipate 4SD to be part of both U-Verse and DirecTV next season for the Padres due to the most recent FCC ruling .. They already are in negotiations to figure out rates, etc ...

DirecTV is offering a deal right now that includes NFL ticket .. might be an option.

20. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    True...I think you get 5 months free programming if you're a new customer and buy NFL Sunday Ticket.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That sucks. I don't live in SD, so I have to pay for it anyways

22. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    In the SF bay area, Comcast has the Giants games on Ch 696, but it is part of the local package on DirecTV and you do not have to pay extra for it.

I thought that DirecTV would have a similar deal in SD.

23. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    That's what frustrating. Cox owns 4sd, where all of the Padres games are shown. They did resell their signal to Time Warner, but not to anyone else. Now with this FCC ruiling, we'll probably see 4sd on DirecTV in the next year or so.

Comcast SF isn't as territorial as Comcast Philly or other areas.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    From what I read, the ruling said they had to sell it to them, it didn't say what price they had to charge. They could charge so much, that DTV and AT&T refuse to pay it just like Time Warner is doing with the NFL Network. Only time will tell

25. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Well, www.ihavechoices.com has this update. Hope TW will now work on getting NFL network!

26. D4L

D4L BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Oh yeah. So on my Birthday I'll know wether to go with TW or look into DTV. Only thing is I think I have to pay Apt complex extra to have it installed. But if I'm not getting MNF and for some extra $$$ I can also get NFLTV I may just as well pay the $$$ and get DTV. Since I may be at Arrowhead for MNF game I can wait an extra 1 1/2 wks to get all that done though.

27. D4L

D4L BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
  28. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Why cant Time warner get a deal for The NFL Network. I am so sick of their lame story just get it on the freaking air.

• Like Like x 1
  29. D4L

D4L BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    I'm at a point where I'd be willing to pay up to $10 to get NFL Network so why can't they just work something out. I wish I could get the NFL package too but sux the DTV has that all to themselves.

30. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    As soon as the Padres are available on anything buy Time Warner Cable, I'm dropping them like Antonio Cromartie.