1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tired of mock drafts having us a picking RB #1

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Burley, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Burley

Burley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Tired of mock drafts having us picking a RB #1

Mock drafts are still having us picking RBs in the 1st round, even after LTs contract got settled. Even the mock drafts that changed their pick usually have a disclaimer about us maybe picking a RB. Why in this world would The Bolts have three very, very highly paid RBs on the roster at the same time??? Have they not seen Aj's knack for picking up guys in the later rounds....

2003 7th round-Pinnock, not a star but a guy who can play
    2004 5th round-Michael Turner, need I say more...
    2005 4th round-Sproles, frachised
    2008 3rd round-Hester, jury still out but he's gettin starts

To be honest I think I might have even missed some guys that went on to other teams that were undrafted.
    With all our needs I just don't see it happening....GO BOLTS.

2. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    I agree. I am hoping we go Defensive end. Someone to clog holes and stuff the run, maybe even get a little bit more pressure on the QB. It would be amazing if we could get someone who can play today say to where igor played last year, but could take over for jamal williams in a year or two.

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I sure don't want to see us pick a RB at #16. Having said that though if you are AJ and cannot trade down and Jackson, Cushing, Oher and the rest are all gone what do you do?.

We might end up having to pick one!. :icon_evil:

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    AJ has never been afraid to reach for a guy that he really wants. I'd like to see us find a trade partner, but the chances are lessening.

Hood will still be there at 16. A reach? Somewhat - but I'd take it before adding another high-priced RB into the mix.

5. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I'd rather have "pool jumper" Jaron Gilbert if AJ is gonna reach at #16 with a 3-4 DE........there is no telling what that kids ceiling is. Ziggy doesn't seem to have any pass rushing skills.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Jarron Gilbert's athleticism is intriguing, but he's very much a boom or bust type of player. I certainly wouldn't reach for him at 16.

Hood has a very good first step, a great swim move for a man of his size, splits double teams well, has active hands, good strength & leverage, a non-stop motor, & has shown to be very coachable. He may be somewhat of a reach at 16 - I'd prefer to get him in the mid-20's - but he will be a good pro.

7. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Its like everyone in the media think that LT is done after next season so we must invest in the future

8. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Yeah, but this team's future is in having a battering ram for first down, some second downs, and short yardage situations, and then having Sproles be your big play back. We certainly don't need to spend a 1st rounder to get a battering ram, who doesn't have to posess great speed or moves, but accelerate quickly to top speed and have good vision to see which hole to accelerate through

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Almost every mock draft is wrong every single year.

So don't sweat it. These guys don't know anything more than any of us.

In AJ We Trust.
    (Well, some of us do)

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Then stop reading mocks.

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    yep

12. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    If jumping out of a pool was a stat the was tracked for NFL defensive ends, I would agree. However, since Hood was a much more effective football player that Gilbert and has a proven track record of being a very hard worker, I would take Ziggy over him without hesitation.

Jarron's amazing talent didn't translate as well as it should have in college, so what's going to change when he enters the NFL? He should have dominated in the WAC and he didn't. He has good pass rushing skills but lacks the strength and bulk to hold up against the run as a 3/4 DE.

• Like Like x 2
  13. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    If LT gets hurt early on next season, then the whole house of cards comes crashing down. :icon_sad:

• Like Like x 1
  14. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Tired of mock drafts having us picking a RB #1

You can say the same about every position.
    Why would we take a DE at 16 when AJ has brought in Cesaire as an UDFA and Bingham in the 7th and given them both extensions while allowing former 2nd round pick Igor to leave?

Why would we take an RT when AJ has drafted Shane Olivea and jeremy Clary in the 6th and 7th rounds and the 2 have started the past 80 games for us?

But let me ask you, if AJ can just find a pro bowl RB in the late rounds so easily, why did he miss TWICE last year?? You say the jury is still out on Hester, but thats not true, Norv has already realized that Hester is NOT an NFL RB and has to move to FB. And Thomas was a 5th rounder last year who didnt even make the roster and was CUT FROM THE LIONS!

• Like Like x 1