1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Titan Players Fined

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chispa, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
  2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Although it looked akward, I don't think the Phillips tackle was a "horse collar" (grabbing from inside the shoulderpads) it looked like he grabbed the jersey with both hands

Attached Files:

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Hey MoP, I'm kind of unclear on the rules/interpretation. He defiantly brought him down by the jersey, but he's still grabbing jersey right between the shoulder pads. It's my understanding that whether you're grabbing jersey, pad, flesh, whatever, you just can not grab a guy between those shoulder pads and pull straight down. I mean isn't Shaun's left hand clearly right, smack-dab, between his pads in that pic?

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I am/was fairly certain that a player can grab the jersey (any part of it) as long as he doesn't get the hand inside the pads (grabbing from the neck area)

5. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    The first message, or more recent message on that link by viewer comments is:

How much of a Homer are these people... VY ran into Merriman, who braced himself... Even Steve Fisher said he felt it was accidental... Shaun Philips play was borerline, seems like they found a scapegoat on Chargers side, because they fined two Titans...

If a play is dirty, I'd admit it.. Drayton Florence hit on Schab was dirty... Schaub should have had his head on a swivel, but he is the QB, and really was out of the play... Also, I can admit it was a little high, nearly helmet to helmet...

Whatever, we won! :abq2:

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    WEll at least the nfl fined mawee and stewart. Which is nothing for those thugs. I'd have wanted a suspension of one game as well. I wouldn't doubt they find some extra money in their checks from the titans this week for doing what they're told.

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Not enough. Not nearly enough.

Fisher's teams get away with too much because he's on the competition committee. I've got no respect for Jeff Fisher now, and I used to have a lot for him.

Missed in the fine stuff is that I guess the NFL thinks it's okay for #84 to take a late shot after the whistle below the knees on a punt return.

I guess it's okay for #31 Finnegan to take a head shot on a guy who is on the ground.

I guess it's okay to take a free run (Odom) at a QB's knees.

Whatever ...... The Titans, their coach, and their fans ..... can BLOW me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    More ... from the UT web blog.

Three Titans, one Charger fined

The Chargers believed Tennessee played dirty in last week's game, and the league apparently agreed. The NFL today fined three Titans players a total of $25,000 for various infractions, including the play on which LB Shawne Merriman injured his knee.

Titans T David Stewart was docked $12,500 for striking a player (presumably DE Jacques Cesaire) after one play and shoving Merriman after another play. Center Kevin Mawae was fined $5,000 for shoving Merriman on the same play. And, guard Eugene Amano was fined $7,500 for an illegal clip, with the league saying he struck a player from behind and below the waist.

For the Chargers, LB Shaun Phillips was fined $7,500 for a horsecollar tackle on RB Chris Brown.

On the injury front for the Chargers, QB Philip Rivers took about half the reps in practice today and said he felt about the same as he did Thursday. It still appears as though Rivers will play Sunday against Detroit, as will WR Buster Davis and G Mike Goff. FB Lorenzo Neal and Merriman were listed as out, while DE Luis Castillo -- who practiced on a limited basis -- was listed as doubtful. Castillo, however, said he wouldn't play. Rivers, TE Antonio Gates and NT Jamal Williams were listed as questionable. Gates is considered a likely participant; Williams not so much.

Detroit listed WR Roy Williams and PR Troy Walters as out. The rest of the Lions are expected to play.

Posted by Jay Posner on December 14, 2007 01:09 PM

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    They got off light.

Mawae and Stewart took out Merriman for 1 or more games by that cheap shot. It was away from the play and over when the blasted him.

Where is their 1-2 game suspensions??

Those clowns in Tenn are still calling the play where Young ran into Merriman a cheap shot.

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

man, the refs really screwed the pooch on that call!

Not only was it a penalty, but it was a td as well!!!

and neither one was called

11. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    No. They changed the rule a couple years ago to include grabbing the jersey collar as well as inside the pads. I think I posted a link in my Chargers Articles thread to that about a month ago.

I've got no problem with the Phillips horse collar fine. It was justified. I do have a BIG problem with Mawae getting off so light, and for a few Titans who didn't get get fined - especially that dirt bag Odom who hit Rivers in the knee.

Fisher needs to be fined and removed from the competition committee. Dirt bag piece of ****.

12. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    word...

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This one looks appealable. Glad the Titan dudes who whacked Merriman got their fines. Settles whether or not it was tough play or foul play.

14. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the question is. Does the nfl reallly care about the health of the players.

A good way to help players last longer in the nfl is to get strict with cheap shots and head hunting. But as we see. The nfl is doing the minimal.

15. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    The NFL fines against the Titans was just a slap on the wrist. A one game suspension would of sent a message to the league. There is still some value with the NFL's action. Mainly Merriman's accusations were substantiated. It wasn't just sour grapes. The second thing is it pointed out the Titan's are cheap shot artists. Last but not least. Since Merriman was correct about the Titan players he must be correct about Fisher ordering the hits.
    :deadhorse:

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't want to view two hand touch, if you do go to your local boy's club.

This is the NFL and **** will happen. Making rules to help the offense has ruined the game and it keeps getting worse.

It's Friday and your vindicated by a few fines? Let the boys play the game, It was never meant to be a puzzies game in the first place.

17. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You can play tough without trying to take out a guy's knee. What a load of crap.

18. jerry62

jerry62 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Young is no Mensa, that's for sure! :lol:

The league backed Merriman's claims, but not to a great enough extent. He took a potentially career-ending cheap shot. The fines should have been a lot stiffer.

I'm all for letting the guys play tough & hitting hard, but not for intentionally gunning for someone (unless it's Brady!!! :lol: :lol:).

20. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    they did get off light.

and I think that tackle was worth $7500:icon_twisted:I enjoyed the hell out of it.