1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Titanfan24's semi-unbiased take on Sunday

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by titanfan24, Jan 16, 2007.

1. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +75
    Everyone here is so emotional, and rightfully so, but I figured that I would offer my semi-unattached take on the game and where the Chargers go from here.

1. I thought that the defense, particularly against the run, was ready from the get go. NE made sure that Merriman didn't beat them with their formations.

2. The pass rush was great in the beginning, but gradually tailed off as the game went on and the adrenaline wore off. Would have loved to see Phillips and Merriman get more push late.

3. The Bolts have the best linebackers in the league as a whole.......and its not even close. Everyone knows about Merriman, Edwards, and are starting to notice Phillips, but Godfrey is a pro's pro, and the guy I was very impressed with was Stephen Cooper. His coverage skills are OUTSTANDING for a Middle LB. When you add ST aces Wilhelm, Polk, and my homie TD to the fleet, that is a great group.

4. LT is possibly the best RB to ever play the game. Artrell Hawkins looked like he was trying to turn off the scoreboard with DA CLAPPER when LT raced 60 on that screen pass. Canton, Ohio awaits that guy. And that Michael Turner guy, we may have to talk about him relocating to the 615 in the offseason!!

5. The Charger O-Line handled the Pats D very well in the run game. However, they seemed to have a hard time handling blitz pickups in obvious passing situations. Why Cameron strayed from the run some was baffling. It was almost like they were bound and determined not to play Martyball, and it kind of backfired. LT was about 8 touches short of what he should have gotten.

6. Philip Rivers wasn't as bad as his numbers, but he wasn't as good as his numbers would have been without those drops. There were two times that he scrambled out and should have run for 5+ yards. Those two plays turned into an overthrow that almost was picked and the other one was Colvin's tipped ball int. The 2:00 drill looked like a first year QB having time management issues in a huge situation. He made some great throws, but the time he wasted between Gates' two catches was inexcusable. Also, he needs to just shut up and play. Too much jawing from a guy that went 14-32.

7. The organization needs to invest in some quality wideouts. Eric Parker, who is usually dependable and reliable, absolutely killed the Chargers with his play, and Vincent Jackson wasn't any better. If Vincent drags his foot, you win the ballgame...........that simple. McCardell, bless his heart, is just a name at this point in his career. In addition, I thought Antonio Gates played like a dog. He's a great talent, but the overturned fumble/drop and his lack of field awareness on a sideline catch that would have netted him 40 yards if he would have known how close he was to the sideline were killers.

8. The Drayton Florence and Shane Olivea selfish penalties put 11 points on the board for the Pats. They ought to take some money out of their playoff checks.

9. The Marlon McCree play was really just a great play by a veteran player in Troy Brown. True, McCree should have either let the ball drop or go down after the pick, but you can't fault a guy for wanting to make a play....which leads to

10. Marty just can't even think to challenge that play. To be honest, that was his only glaring mistake of the game to me (I heard that both kickers struggled +40 yards going the direction of the 4th and 11 in the first quarter...so if Nate wasn't hitting in pregame that way....I have no problems with it). That was an emotional challenge that had no chance of being reversed. That lost TO was HUGE!!

11. Nate Kaeding better start hitting clutch kicks. That was a tough 54 yarder, but he didn't even hit the ball well and it had no chance. He had the wind at his back (Gostkowski hit from 50 going the same direction....the opposite way from the 4th and 11 controversy). You have to at least hit that one long enough.

12. Brady was subpar for most of the game, but just like a first ballot Hall-of Famer, he was great when he had to be. The two minute drill before halftime and the third and 10 bomb to Caldwell were additions to his legend. Philip could learn a lot from that guy.

In the end, there were just too many little things the Chargers did that keep really good teams from being great teams. I warned last week that New England plays a little past the rule book so they can get into younger teams heads and bait guys into doing stupid stuff. It happened in the Titans game, it happened against the Jets, and it happened Sunday.

Its not my place to really say this, but I will anyways............I think you all are Crazy :no: for even entertaining the thought of canning Marty. Yes, his playoff failures are the stuff of legends, but how many guys have led the franchise to 14-2?? He didn't commit a personal foul, fumble an interception, muff a punt, or throw a pick, and I know he doesn't teach that stuff. I mean, who are you going to get......Parcells........Belichick........Jimmy Johnson.......Shanahan??? There are some bad coaches in the league and Marty ain't one of them. The coaching change for you guys right now is like hitting when you are holding 18 at the blackjack table. Yeah, you could do a little better, but you could do a heck of a lot worse and the risk is rarely worth the reward. To be honest, A.J. Smith should be getting some heat, because I think you win that game by 10 points if Drew Brees is your QB. Add to that, seeing Reche Caldwell make big plays after being jettisoned makes you wonder about Smith's acumen a tad.

That's just an outsiders' perspective on someone who was there rooting for the Chargers, but not blinded by the trees. Tear it apart if you think I'm wrong, but this is just my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,826
    Grat post, thanks for the perspective.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    You are wrong.

:lol:

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    FIRE MARTY !!!

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Greet post titan. That is the best pro-Marty argument I have seen, outside of my own. :lol:

Seriously, if one of ten things go right for us, we win that game, and probably win the Super Bowl. It was a "WTF?" game, it was more an anomaly than a case of Marty choking again.

I also don't get the "If not now, when?" mentality. Don't you guys think this team will be even better next year? Rivers will kick it up a few notches in his second year as a starter, Cro will make a much bigger impact, Marcus McNeill will be a beast, Merriman playing 16 games, and AJ doing his usual great job acquiring reinforcements at need positions. Plus, the entire team will be better equipped to handle a playoff atmosphere.

Keep Marty, and we'll win the division, with a stronger team. I'll take that option over the alternative, which is a big roll of the dice that a new head coach and new coordinators can take us to the next level.

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    FIRE MARTY

His asss is as good as gone.....later...get the EFF out of dodge.

Now I want to see what A.J. does to bring in his own boy.

7. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    We will be better but our schedule is loaded with play off teams and I think all the teams in our division will be much improved too. It'll be much harder to get home field advantage when you're in the toughest division.

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I certainly remember our season after our 12-4 season where we played a first place schedule and then ate **** with a 9-7 record and Brees' shoulder getting nuked.

Next year we have a first place schedule again with Marty and a shitload of ProBowlers.

Somehow I sense a trend here.......

9. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +75
    Let me ask you guys this. Why does Marty get all of the blame, when A.J. is the guy that decided to get rid of Brees and cut Reche Caldwell, when both are still playing bigtime ball in their respective championship games?? Those aren't Marty Schottenheimer calls!!

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,545
    Very well put, on all levels.

Good luck with the Titans next year. And keep coming by. :icon_toast:

11. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I don’t think our schedule’s insanely tough. We get Indy, Baltimore, and Chicago at home. The only tough road game is at New England, and we will be pumped as hell for that one.

Also, I think the Chiefs are going downhill fast, and NO WAY does Oakland improve enough to cause us any problems. As for Denver, I’m not entirely sold on Jay Cutler yet. We’ll see.

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    you forgot to add the

MARTY CURSE!!!

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,545
    It just seems that Marty waits until the playoffs to have a brain fart and does something stupid. Challenging the Mcree int/fumble and not attempting a 47 yard field goal are my WTF's regarding Marty.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised either way as to what happens to him. But as you said in your earlier post, we could do worse, MUCH WORSE with a new coach.

As for the Brees/Caldwell thing, Brees was coming off shoulder surgery and he wanted $10 million guaranteed. AJ would only guarantee $2 million. Had AJ known Brees was going to throw for 4,000+ yards, things might have been different.

Caldwell is a different story. If Branch re-signs with NE, Caldwell is still looking for work. NE had a need at WR and probably didn't know what they were really getting when they signed him. Getting cut is what turned his game play around.

14. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    You are 100% wrong here. Marty has the last call on who stays and who goes. AJ's job is to provide him with options.

I don't have the time to dig up the links, but know that ALL personell decisions as to who makes the final roster are Marty Schottenheimer calls, the same as who gets to start, who rides pine, etc...

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,826
    His shoulder is nuked Dr. Trumpie? Hmmm, wonder if you will eat that plate of crow if he makes the superbowl...

16. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Rechelle was inconsistent at best, in a mediocre receiving corps. We drafted Floyd and Jackson, and already had Parker and signed K-Mac. Rechelle was at the bottom of the food chain.

Philip was the changing of the gaurd. Drew's exit came early, due to his injury, and the fact we already had his replacement. Philip was drafted when Drew was stumbling. After the signing of Philip, Drew came out of the closet and tore it up, even to the level of comeback player of the year.

Marty is supposed to have everyone prepared for the game. He didn't. The players were not playing the same as earlier in the season. The assistant Coaches pulled the same crap.

Three events that were out of character were:
    1. 4th and 11? Kick the dang ball, idiot!:mad2:
    2. Punt Return? Fall on it, now!:mad2:
    3. Int/Fumble? Why are you bobbling and running?:mad2:

This was all an issue with a giddy coach. Why wasn't the level of dicipline there? The player got excited? That is why we have a head coach. The tempest. The one who sets the players' and his assistants emotional tone with his influence.

Now...where did I leave my Prozac? :drool:

17. Mid-west Chargers fan

Mid-west Chargers fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Yeah, I remember that it was Marty that wanted to get rid of Brees. :icon_huh:

18. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    AJ is in charge contracts and Brees was a free agent. He chose not to resign him.

I don't time to spell it out, as stated in my previous post. You are going to have to use you brain.:icon_eek:

:lol: