1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Titans Best QB to Bolts?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 19, 2006.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think we just got a hell of a steal in this trade. It would be easy to argue that Billy Volek was the best QB in Tennessee's situation right now.

Collins had a 1.3!!! passer rating the other day, worst ive ever heard of.
    No way Vince Young is ready to start.(Or is smart enough)
    Volek knew the offense, knew the team. And was a pretty good backup for McNair passing for 300yds a few times.

To get him for a 6th rounder is amazing!!! The Chargers didnt even sign either of there sixth rounder this year anyway, its kinda like a throwaway pick for us!!!:icon_rofl:

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    As this team gets better and deeper, it's pretty much going to be a given that any draft pick 5th round and lower only has maybe a 5% chance of making the team.

Especially our lower round picks next year, as we'll have one or two extra 3rd rounders that will yield higher quality players.

3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    This was a sucker trade to the Titans, It wasnt like when we got a 6th rounder for Cleo Lemon.

Volek is good, a little arrogant, but good. I hope we dont need to play him this year, but i trust him with the game.

And we could possible snag a 1st rounder for Turner, I would like to keep him because hes a perfect changeup for LT. But we could pick up sombody big time. AJ rarely misses.:icon_toast:

4. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    We'll play Volek this season. But it will be under the desired circumstances. Namely, after we're up by 20 points in the 4th quarter and Rivers sits on the sidelines reviewing his great performance.

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    We could get some good players with our 1st overall pick and our 32 overall pick too.
    Im assuming the Titans go 2-14, and we will win the Superbowl of course, lol

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think he may have realized the mistake he made never playing Rivers though. It was a bit boneheaded in the Buffalo game not to run him out there.

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It was the greed of Drew Brees to hog the stage and not allow his protege to kick his mole infested grill. :yes:

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I still say we should offer Turner transitional money for the life of an extended contract. We'd get more mileage of LT and Turner both. The only trade I'd make for Turner would be for a young premier receiver, a game changer. I am waiting for Marty to line up our two top runners together. I am really intrigued by the possibility of putting both out simultaneously on swing passes out of the shotgun, or maybe a swing/slant. They can both block. Throw Neal into a full house back field. If you pull a guard, you've got three battering rams at the RB's point of attack. If Whitehurst is in for a spell, he could bootleg in the opposite direction into what would probably be empty turf.

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Transitional tag money for a contractural extension for a back-up RB ? That is a lot of dough for a back up.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    As nice as that sounds, Turner will never go for it. Theres not a RB in the NFL that doesnt want to be the feature back on his team.

We would have to pay top dollar to keep turner here, and if AJ is adopting the New England method of managing, which i think he is.
    Its unlikely Turner will be a Charger next year, might as well tag him and snag a first rounder.

11. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    We might just have the best 3 QB's in the NFL :tup:

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup.

Whitey looked good running his *** off for that TD.

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

I'd tag him in any event. You're simply not likely to draft another back like Turner. There is absolutely no disadvantage to Turner behind LT. Different style, buy equally effective. If there was a bidding war for Turner, it would be fun to watch-as long as the Raiders weren't the ones to come out on top.

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    It would be just like Al Davis to snag him from us too, but then we would get there first round pick, which could end up being the first overall pick. LOL

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    overreacting a little, perhaps?:icon_shrug:

16. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    If we 'tag' him, he gets at least 5 to 6 million in base salary next season. That's quite a bit for a backup RB.

As a comparison, LT's base salary for 2007 is $5 million.

17. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    He isnt arrogant, HES A WHINER!

There was as reason they couldnt wait to get rid of him and traded him for what ever they could (im willing to bet this was the best offer they got for him)

What does it tell you about the guy that Norm Chow would rather have KERRY COLLINS over him

Lucky for us that it only cost us a 6th round pick for a one year rent-a-vet stop-gap backup QB

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Norm Chow has no say in the QB situation in Tennessee, if u payed attention you would know that.

If Chow was getting his way they would have drafted Matt Leinart instead of Vince Young. Chow has no power in that organization.

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Marty being Marty, plays Martyball even when hes not on the field.

20. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I agree. I think Volek should have been starting. We got a decent backup vet Qb for basically nothing. It's not like we are going to draft a sixth rounder who'll have much chance of making this team with it's depth. Our new players for the future will have to come on day one and so we can pretty much package our 4, 5, 6 and 7 picks for one higher choice. Would any team do that? Take the 4 late picks for a number 2? Is that insane to think that?

21. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I don't think he should be a "back up".... we need to get this guy in the game. I'm not opposed to sitting Neal more often and using Turner as the blocking back.... at least that gives us more of an option to use him as a runner, also. When Neal is in there, the defense pretty much knows that he's not getting the ball.... and if he does, he's not going more than two yards with it.

So, while Neal is a great one and all that, I'd start grooming Turner to take over as the second back in the backfield and mix in some more runs and passes with him. I think the advantage of what we gain in more offensive plays and looks will more than offset the loss of Neal's blocking. Besides, it's not like Turner isn't built to deliver a punishing block himself for LT.

what thinks ye all? Should we see Neal replaced with turner on more plays? And what about a three back backfield?

22. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Well, he may have been a 'whiner' there but you have to consider the circumstances. (Which I don't know....) But, he certainly would have a legit reason for complaining if he was sitting behind Collins and Young. He seems to have played better than both of them in the past and so why not be playing? Who knows.... I just think that he's coming here knowing what situation he's getting into. He's the backup. AS long as you know what's happening and accept it. In Tennessee I don't think he knew or understood what was going on. And I don't see why he wasn't playing, either. How much worse could he be than 1.3 QB rating?

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I would like to see a two back set but a three back set is a wishbone and rarely used in the pro ranks - although Coryell did it for a few series. :icon_banana: