1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Titans fan blaming refs for loss

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
  2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

They sound like many of the posters in here!

3. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    Indeed, one of the Titan fans who replied said the following:

Guys we lost because the Chargers are a great team and we made a lot of stupid mistakes. You can't beat yourself and then expect to beat a good team like San Diego. The only thing I really had issue with was the LOS call, I think that rule needs to be changed, but other than that the Chargers just beat us...

I think that's a pretty honest summary.

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    I agree that that rule is dumb despite it working in our favor yesterday.

But, much like the tuck rule that the Turd fans always complain about, as dumb as the rule may be it is the rule.

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Refs? No, the example of blaming the refs for a loss is the Hochuli game last year.

Vince Young's 3 turnovers leading to 3 TDs was pretty much it. Oh, and the fact that they played most of the game like they didn't have a secondary.

6. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    The logic of the QB being behind the LOS rule is carried when a WR is allowed to catch a ball inbounds with just the tip of his toes, even though the rest of his body and ball may be out of bounds vertically.

The same logic applies. If you want that rule modified, then that part of a WR catching the ball must also be modified. Then both the ball and the WR must be completely inbounds for it to be a catch. Doesn't make sense.

The rule is fine as is. As long as any part of the QB is behind the LOS, even his pinky toe, it's a legal forward pass.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    I assume you're talking about the LOS rule that came into play last night and not the tuck rule.

I don't see how the tuck rule is related in any form or fashion to the WR catching the ball in bounds.

Anyways, if my assumption is correct, you have a good point.

8. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Ah yes, that's what I was talking about. I remember lurking on some Titans forums last night after the game and some of the fans were complaining about Rivers' TD pass to Gates and about how they hated that rule and that it should be changed.

I then thought about how they allow a WR and a ball in the air to be completely out of bounds, except for the tippy toes and it's still a catch. The logic is the same in both instances.

If the topic is the 'tuck rule' a la the Raiders-Patriots AFCCG 8 years ago, then ignore me. :icon_tease:

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    No, that was the topic. I merely mentioned the tuck rule because it's another example of a dumbass rule that is still a rule nonetheless so the refs got it right.

Back on topic, while you have a good point, the argument made by the announcers in the game recap was that it's a TD the second the ball crosses the endzone line and it's offsides if the defender is even the slightest bit past the neutral zone, but the QB can be completely past the line with the exception of a toe or something and he's fine.

I think your argument makes more sense, though, with one exception. A WR still has to keep both feet in bounds whereas the QB can have everything but a toe in front of the line.

If just one of the WR's feet is even touching the sideline it's incomplete.

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    While the LOS rule worked out well for us last night, it still bugs me. But you can thanks the Eli loving refs from SNF a couple years back for the mysterious change in the rule.

Other than that - the other calls were legit and the only people you can blame them on are the Titans themselves for being undisciplined. We've been there... it sucks... but it is what it is.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Wait. That was a rule change?

I remember them saying the same thing during the game with Eli making the pass at the line so I find it hard to believe they changed it because of him.

12. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I think it was in effect as it currently is before that. I remember that LOS rule being used to give Donovan McNabb some pass completions for the Eagles during their Super Bowl appearance year.

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    All I know is that the bar full of people (long time football fans) remember it being called differently, as in if the QB is past the line in anyway it's considered a penalty.

I'm inclined to agree b/c John Madden felt the same way ;)

Whether we're all full of **** or not is debatable :lol: but I f'ing hate zebras and don't trust them to admit when they've screwed up a call :icon_shrug:

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    I don't give a **** how the rule is written for the most part, I just want them called consistently.