1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Titans owner Bud Adams: 'I guarantee we'll be playing' this year

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Titans owner Bud Adams may be frustrated with the present state of affairs in the NFL, but he said he has no concerns that the lockout will take away the coming season.

“It's going to be a few months here, but we'll be playing this year. I guarantee we’ll be playing,” said Adams, who was in town Monday to accept the T.J. Martell Foundation’s Lifetime Humanitarian Award, which was presented by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell during a gala at Hutton Hotel.

Adams didn’t specify the reason for his optimism, but did point a finger at the players for the stalemate between the two sides, who must work out a new collective bargaining agreement.

“It’s one of those things that (the players) haven’t been very (much) wanting to work out a deal with (the owners),” Adams said. “But we'll be playing football this year. I'll tell you that for sure.”

The next target date is April 6, when a hearing is scheduled in the federal antitrust lawsuit the players filed against the NFL. The players are requesting an injunction that would keep the NFL and its teams from engaging in a lockout.

Goodell reiterated that he would prefer to work out a settlement through negotiation rather than through litigation.

“We’ve said we’re prepared to negotiate,” Goodell said. “We did not pull away from the negotiating table. The union did, to pursue a litigation strategy. We’re prepared to negotiate tomorrow.”

But Goodell said he, personally, has had no recent conversations with DeMaurice Smith, who was the head of the NFL Players’ Association before it dissolved itself on March 11.

Asked what advice he might have for a fan wondering whether to commit financially for a 2011 season ticket, Goodell said he would do so.

“Yes, because we are preparing for our season,” Goodell said. “We’re doing everything to make sure we can play football in 2011. We want to get back to the negotiation table and that’s the fastest way to get that done.

“(But) we’ve set up policies and all of our clubs are working hard with the fans so, if we’re not successful and if we miss some games, that there’s a refund policy.”

NFL fans are at least thankful that the draft will be held as scheduled April 28-30. But even the draft might feel the sting of the lockout, as the former union is holding its own draft-related events sandwiched around the main event.

“We’ve extended invitations out to the players like we normally do and we hope they’ll be there to participate,” said Goodell, who indicated that some players have accepted invitations to attend.

Adams perhaps best summed up the overall situation.

Asked what he might say to fans who — tired of bickering between owners and players — just want football, the 88-year-old owner smiled and said, “I’d like that, too.”

2. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    Really??? I would bet that if there is NFL this year it will be played by replacement players. I wouldn't pay a penny toward a season ticket.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think some owners believe that the fans will flock to games to see replacement players. I think that they believe as long as there is NFL, the fans will be happy.

I further think some fans will. They will continue to pay to go to games, and eventually the quality will return.

The owners may be proven right, but if they dont get this fixed soon, neither side will enjoy the heights of popularity they have enjoyed over the last decade or so.... In my opinion...

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    This is the same Bud Adams that was seen doing this at a Titans home game:

[​IMG]

If there are replacement players this year, I'm DONE with season tickets & the NFL.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yup... The guy who jettisoned his coach for a QB...

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    and now plans to jettison the QB as well

Look I really hope he's right and I question how many of the players who get paid huge salaries have the money to stand a year or so without paychecks (see Bryant, Dez; Cromartie, Antonio, etc). But when they're stubborn about getting a piece of a 9 billion pie, its hard to see anything other then that.

We will know what happens after the first hearing

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I wish those were directed towards some Raider fans!

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    I think it was a game vs. Buffalo.

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    As far as that hearing is conecerned, Sirius NFL radio and other sources are reporting that while it may start on April 6th, it might be a week or two after until a decision is handed down.

10. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    yeah it was vs buffalo

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    but I think it was to his own fans for booing

12. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member