1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

To all those who thought we should have ditched LT for Turner

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolt-tastic voyage, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Bolt-tastic voyage

Bolt-tastic voyage BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Just thought I'd post this little stats comparison for ya...
    LaDainian Tomlinson
    2009 STATS
    Rush 61
    Yards 211
    TD 1
    Rec 7
    Yards 32
    TD 0

Michael Turner
    2009 STATS
    Rush 118
    Yds 403
    TD 7
    Rec 3
    Yds 21
    TD 0

The 1 glaring difference is the touchdowns. But the ratio of yards to amount of rushes are nearly identical. Just puttin' it out there. Lets see where LT is when he has 118 carries I have a feeling things are going to get better.

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, you gotta also remember that Turner has played all 6 games for the Falcons. So, that's 118 rushes in 6 games, or about 19 or 20 rushes per game.

L.T. has been in just 3 games playing time total, or about half that of Turner. Still, the yards per rush for both L.T. and Turner are close. Both are about 3.4 ypc.

In addition, there were about 10 rushes by L.T. instead the 5 on Sunday trying to punch it in for a TD. He actually did do it the first time, but a brain fart by Dombrowski nullified it.

L.T. must have been tackled at or behind the LOS in half his carries against the Chefs. That speaks to poor OL blocking.

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    there are some player that no matter if their performance deminishes I'd still want them to end their careers in San Diego, LT is one of them (Seau, Hoffy where others that didn't :no:)

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I would love for LT to retire a Charger... but right now, to win a football game, I'd start Turner over LT. :yes:

5. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I'd take LT.

Turner had a great year last season, but he's been nowhere near as good this season. Plus you factor in that LT has put up similar numbers while not being completely healthy and that just favors him more.

If the Chargers remain focused on the run and LT doesn't get hurt again he'll get 1000 + yards this season.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If our run blocking improves LT's numbers will too.

7. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :yes::tup:

8. Bolt-tastic voyage

Bolt-tastic voyage BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    LT all the way. the whole point of posting the stats was to show they are on the same pace. And I'd much rather see Tomlinson on the back of our RB's jersey. His experience and vision will get him through more of the O line's microscopic holes this year than any other back in the league.

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I wouldn't give a crap this year what Turner was producing because I would still be smiling from the ring we would have won last year if we had kept Turner.

10. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Ohhh how the tide turns in regards to peoples opinions of players when their numbers start getting better.

11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Word. If the damn O-line can just push the opposing D line into the 2nd level on their side of the line of scrimmage instead or OUR backfield LT will get some serious yardage. You saw what LT can do with just a little crease created from solid O-line play. I don't know if it's the damn o-line coach or what. We used to be one heck of a o-line. That right side is just weak with Jeremy "Ole" Clary at the right tackle spot. Vasquez will only get better. Hardwick coming back will help too. Left is o.k. but even they have to play better to their standards. McNeil and Dielman can be downright dominating if they play well. It's on that damn O-line! LT will get his if they can just do their jobs better!

12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    3 players screwed us out of a SB trophy in 2006.

Eric Parker with the worst game of his life. His muffed punt resulted in a NE FG.

D-Flo with that 15-yard PF head butt after stopping Brady and the Pats on 3rd and 15, forcing a punt. Instead the Pats got a first down and scored a TD a few plays later.

McCree with the INT and fumble on 4th down, when a simple knock down would have sealed the game for us. The Pats scored a FG a few plays later.

10 points for the Pats because of Charger DB boneheaded plays.

I'm ignoring the whole Kaeding line, even on 4th and 11, because it should have never come to the FG to win/tie.

No way the Colts would have beaten us the next week in San Diego. The Bears were inept in the Super Bowl.

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Dammit Slug! Just when I was feeling good about my round of golf today. You had to bring that up.....:unsure:

14. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I contend that Turner is better suited to a ****** o-line than LT is at this point in their careers. LT is very consistently going down at the point of first contact, while Turner almost NEVER goes down at first contact. Turner lowers his hand and drives and drags and knocks dudes on their asses.

15. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    If it had been LT that had played for Atlanta last year behind their great run blocking line...It would be a good bet that he would have outrushed Michael Turner behind our line where a back can't harldly take two steps after the handoff before a tackler is in his face.

Also, Michael Turner is a chitty receiver...A back HAS to be able to run routes and catch passes in our offense.

16. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm with In-a-Days. Turner has a knack for breaking tackles, especially on hits at or behind the line-of-scrimmage while LT is proving that it is not his specialty any longer. so, given this offensive line, I'd take Turner because the chances him breaking a run are higher than LT's, though LT's actually remain high because as old as he may be he still runs the same way that used to yield such electrifying performances but not as often.

17. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Of course, I wish we could have kept both...but there is no way two players at the same position chew up that much salary cap. LT still has tread on those tires, but without a solid run-blocking offensive line AND an actual honest-to-goodness fullback we won't get the most out of LT. Say what you want to , Hester is not a fullback. If Tolbert could learn how to blast people out of the way, LT could get into the secondary and make some db's look foolish on the way downfield. Barring additional injury, I expect LT's stats to get better as the run blocking improves. In spite of the (usual) slow start, I could see him going over 1,000 yards again this season or at least getting very, very close.

Next year, I would like to see us address right tackle immediately, and shortly thereafter draft (or make a deal for) LT's eventual replacement.

18. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I don't buy that for a second... this 'o-line make the RB' attitude is pure bullshit. Our O-line was CRAP for LTs first, what, three seasons? How did that hinder his productivity? How many great o-lines did Barry Sanders play behind?

19. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    A great Oline does help, just because those 2 backs were able to excel behind ****** lines just shows how great they were, imagine what they would of done with a quality line.

These type of RBs don't come around every year. Adrian Peterson is really the only guy since LT was drafted. Turner is no Adrian Peterson. Although I would of loved to have him still here.

20. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Sanders is Hall of Fame player and just a freakishly talented running back like no other. He's so talented he didn't need a stellar line. The early LT was so good he make up for an average o-line and could make those stop on a dime cuts. At this point in his career though, he needs that damn o-line to push back that opposing d-line. Case in point, look at Rashard Mendenhall against us. That Steeler Line made him look like the 2nd coming of Walter Freakin Payton! Added to the fact our run D was just horrible that night...

21. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    LT's game was always based on that burst through the hole and his sidestepping ability when reaching the first defender to get into the second level.

He seems to have neither now on a consistent basis, though that long gainer last game was a glimpse of the past.

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I love how all you football "experts" and player personnel evaluators can give me the inside view of LT's football demise. I am much more intelligent from you enlightening.

23. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Yes we should all be hanged for having opinions... on a forum no less! :icon_tease:

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    A good lynching never hurt no one. :icon_rofl: :icon_eek: :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1