1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

To hell with a new stadium...How'bout a freak'n Ferris Wheel......

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerMike, Jan 8, 2015.

1. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Probably to generate interest in the water front the way the big one in England does... They will probably get federal funding for a good portion of it if the can use it as an urban improvement project. Also it will appeal to more than just the football crowd so I dont see that this is something the City should not consider.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Sometimes you have to take a step back and realize that not everybody is a football fan.

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Holy **** that sounds overpriced.

5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    What? Im freakin possible!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
    Because that's just what Diego needs....MORE tourists....MORE congestion.....like they're not congested enough......

Great for the local economy I guess.....sucks for the locals.......:confused:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Money coming into the city is always a good thing for the locals.

8. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Few years back the Port District spent $$ for plans to light up the Coronado Bridge from underneath...brought in a bunch of designers and picked a winner. Nada. They also had grandiose plans to renovate the Shelter Island boat launch ramp. Nada.

9. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Where can I get season tickets for the ferris wheel?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Just what the cash strapped city of San Diego needs, a fawking Ferris wheel to attract more people to the ocean.

11. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^It's better than stocking the ocean with baby tuna or something like that...

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Not sure if the sarcasm is directed at a Ferris wheel not working or attracting more people not being a good thing.

IF the latter then I don't get the logic, if the former then I'm no Ferris wheel expert so I won't argue it, lol

13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    NFL already says ferris wheel will probably not get to host any Super Bowls...
    (though still slightly more likely than Qualcomm Stadium)

Doctor Who fans would be confused as Hell...(well, more so than usual)

14. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
  15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Makes sense to me....
    I would imagine something that huge would cost plenty to maintain not to mention liability Ins. in case that thing ever came crashing down or malfunctioned causing injury.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    If it cost a lot to maintain but also brought a lot more people (and their money) to the city then that's still a good thing.

Whether or not it would is something I don't know.

17. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Football fans? In San Diego? Are you sure you aren't confusing them with the something 2o year olds playing hackysack on the beach?

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I reckon where all those "a lot more people" are coming from and who would be utilizing this thing is my question. It doesn't sound like this is a kiddie type ride, since I really don't know that much about this project I'll just wait until more info on it comes out.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The London Eye (London);
    It is currently Europe's tallest Ferris wheel,[10] and offered the highest public viewing point in London[11] until it was superseded by the 245-metre (804 ft)[12]observation deck on the 72nd floor of The Shard, which opened to the public on 1 February 2013.[13] It is the most popular paid tourist attraction in the United Kingdom with over 3.5 million visitors annually,[14] and has made many appearances in popular culture.

The High Roller (Las Vegas);
    High Roller
    is a 550-foot tall (167.6 m),[3][4] 520-foot (158.5 m) diameter[5] giant Ferris wheel located on the Las Vegas Strip in Paradise, Nevada. The wheel, which began construction in 2011 and opened to customers in March 2014 is the world's tallest observation wheel. High Roller features 28 spherical passenger cabins which can accommodate up to 40 passengers each, and is illuminated with dynamic multicolored LED lights nightly.

When High Roller opened to the public in March 2014, tickets for a single 30-minute ride, the time taken for the entire wheel to rotate once, cost $24.95 (day time) and $34.95 (night time). Other ticket options included a $59.95 Express Pass, allowing the holder to skip the line and ride any time.

The Orlando Eye (Orlando Fl);
    Set to open in 2015.

Seattle Great Wheel (Seattle Wa);
    The Seattle Great Wheel is a giant Ferris wheel at Pier 57 on Elliott Bay in Seattle,Washington. With an overall height of 175 feet (53.3 m), it was the tallest Ferris wheel on the West Coast of the United States when it opened on June 29, 2012.

Seattle was the third city in North America to offer a wheel of this design,[6] following theNiagara SkyWheel at Clifton Hill, Niagara Falls, Canada, which is also 175 feet (53.3 m) tall, and the larger Myrtle Beach SkyWheel in South Carolina, which is 187 feet (57.0 m) tall. The Seattle wheel is the only one of the three to be built over water.

A wheel is planned on Staten Island to boost tourism to the area.

From an article on the Big Wheel craze...
    http://www.citylab.com/tech/2014/07/what-happens-when-every-city-has-a-giant-ferris-wheel/375012/

So it looks like where ever they have been put (approx 100 world wide since the mid '80s) they have made money for their cities. Seems like a 'no brainer' when you consider the cost of the football stadium is approximated to be what $400 million, and this would probably be less than 100?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Thanks for the info Conc, it's starting to look better on paper. I just have never trusted the SD. City Gov. proper and whether or not they choose to build a new stadium really doesn't affect me much. I'll still follow the Bolts if they move but allowing those folks to watch the till

• Like Like x 1
  21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    C'mon... Why would you not trust such a well meaning, functional body as the one SD has had for the past 10+ years who earned the nick name CAVE-(Citizens Against Virtually Everything)-Men?

22. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^It's almost like we are living in the Dark Ages. What next, a plan to wipe out the rats along the bay in an effort to stop the plague?

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No... Wipe out the cats the way they did back in the day to stop the bubonic plauge... You know because cats were the spawn of the devil and stole souls while people slept...

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Those must be the red and blue dots of upstanding citizens in the fine city of SD whose mistake 9 out of 10 times cause the county as a whole to suffer due to their magnificent blunders.

25. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    FYI - I read that the wheel in Vegas is sort of a dud. It was erected in a problematic location, has a mediocre view, has been experiencing low ridership and has resorted to frequent "Grouponing". It's future does not look promising.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^Yeah, and the local ferris wheel at Boomers in Clairemont isn't getting much play lately...

• Funny Funny x 2
  27. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
    More great news from city hall....UGH....:tdown: :sick: :poop:

[​IMG]

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The city responded to that and stated that Steve Cushman is not on the committee...

Much ado bout nuthin.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    What do the Chargers have against Steve Cushman?

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He is reportedly anti-stadium.