1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

to soon to say.....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lightning, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    ....Antonio Gates, future hall of famer? With all the team and NFL records he has accomplished Plus the fact that he was an undrafted free agent with no college football experiance and has made those milestones so far then yes I'd have to say it is not to soon to say so.

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Not too soon to say at all. He's had the best start to a career of any TE in NFL history. Even if he never played another down, he's tied for 2nd all time among TEs for TD catches with Shannon Sharpe, a bona fide HOF. And Shannon took many more years to catch as many TDs as Gates has.

3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Also he is like the 3rd highest scoring UDFA.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I want him on the field, screw the HOF.

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I'd say it's just right timing to say. He's def a hof'er imo.

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I say he's at least a finalist, but let's say he plays 3 more years, he could pass Tony Gonzalez for TD by a TE (20 or 19 to go), then definitely

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He's a lock, even if he winds up being unable to play another game.

8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Exactly. I don't think people realize how good he is. He's not just a HOF, he's the greatest tight end in NFL history. Just look at his catches, yards and TDs per game and compare him to every other TE who's ever played. No one comes close.

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    F the HOF! DON CORYELL!!!!

10. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yeah, I'm sure those gutless phucks will now award him posthumously.

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Ever hear of a dude called John Mackey ?

John Mackey seems to get forgotten by fans because they are too young or whatever.

This dude was a beast so when you just look at stats it really does not tell the whole story.

Mackey had a couple of years where he averaged OVER 20 yards a catch. Gates best season was 16.2 yards per catch with a career average of 13.3 yard per catch.

John Mackey averaged 15.8 yards per catch in his career and had two monster seasons over 20 yards per catch.

I would re-evaluate when you say "no one even comes close" after you have read about this tight end. He set the standard with Unitas.

He is also one of the players getting $88,000.00 per year from a special NFL fund called the 88 Plan (it is in the CBA) which gives former NFL players this cash grant due to health reasons etc.

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Mackey was incredible. He was the Jim Brown/Lance Alworth of TEs. But with the exception of yards per catch, Antonio smokes him in every statistical category. In 139 career games, Mackey had 331 rec for 5236 yards and 38 TDs. In 111 career games, Gates has 489 catches for 6356 yards and 62 TDs

It's always hard to look at players from different eras, but Gates hasn't beat when you look at the stats.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Do you think Gates could average a 30 yard average on kickoff returns ?

Mackey did.

I am not sure Gates could handle it and last and still do his job at TE.

Mackey was an animal and fast.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Not really when you see the players or watch the tapes.

The game was more brutal and Gates is a pretty boy compared to Mackey. What I mean by pretty boy is that a few right crosses to Gates' jaw would put Gates down for the count faster than Mackey. Mackey punished tacklers and had that Lorenzo Neal I am going to hit somebody mentality. Gates does not have that instinct and relies on boxing out an opponent and then hitting the dirt before getting leveled.

15. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    No doubt the game was very physical back then. The rules allowed for some pretty violent stuff to go down. But the players are so much bigger and faster today. I doubt Mackey could have averaged 30 yards per kickoff return or 15 yards a catch in this era.

16. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Someone is probably already working on Antonio's bust, there is not a doubt that he is Canton bound even if he never plays another down in the NFL.