1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

To those who need the reminder....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Feb 5, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Playing TODAY is the goal of every franchise and every player.

Not winning 60% of your regular season games.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    What are you saying? Are you saying Spanos and AJ aren't going after the SB but simply ticket sales? You sir aren't a charger fan but a bandwagon no nothing loser. How dare you disrespect this organization and all of it's glorious AFC West Division Titles. Go Bolts!!!!!!!!!

3. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Hahaha

4. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Watching the SB today, I was reminded once again of several reasons why the Chargers are usually the bridesmaid and never the bride. (Some years, like the past two, we don't even make flower girl.)

1) Aggressive tackling. Super Bowl teams don't pluck at the RB's sleeve as he runs by, they knock his punk-arse DOWN and sit on him till he stays down.
    2) Fighting to grab as many yards out of a play as possible instead of running the ball and then falling down before one can possibly get tackled.
    3) Defenders who get in the ball carrier's face and actively work to strip the ball away. What are we afraid of---breaking a nail?
    4) O-line. O-line. And did I mention, O-line? Tom Brady had all. freaking. DAY. to throw the ball, although he did get sacked a couple times toward the end of the game. Poor Philip Rivers, if football were a horizontal game, or one played from a sitting position on the turf, he'd win it single-handedly.
    5) The ability to throw into double or even triple coverage and still hit the WR more often than the defender. Just sayin'. :cautious:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Just a few more weeks until baseball season.

6. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    or aka ............Hibernation !!! ;)

7. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Not a bad assessment there LG ................. nicely summorized.

Tackling has always been this teams major weakness, even back in the better days of 06-08, its almost like our guys just expect the opposition to fall to the ground at the sight of them.......... Ive never quite been able to grasp why it is other than a definete lack of attitude and effort.

Tackling is a total mental game, again, something that we severly lack in when it matters the most.

By the way, who is higher on the totem pole ............ flower girl or that 3 year old ring bearer who looks so cute in his Tux ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    it is so hard to imagine seeing the Chargers up on that podium receiving the Lombardi Trophy. I just can't see how AJ can put the team first and his ego second. Belichick go and gets talent for his most talented player -Brady. AJ lets talent walk- Sproles and Welker. The Chargers are just 1 gm and 1 HC away from winning--- the AFC west.

the Chargers look like weaker version of the Pats and the Giants look like a very solid physical team. (Ah yes, the good ol days when the Chargers were both solid and physical).

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    And yet the chances are against either team being back in the game next season. I guess they wont be playing for that goal there, right?

:rolleyes: LAMESAUCE :rolleyes:

Also filed under 'No **** Sherlock'

10. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Yea and a lot of good it did, they still lost and haven't done anything since they got caught cheating

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Two Superbowl appearances and making the playoffs every year but 2009 (when Brady was injured) is nothing? In my book that makes them the 4th best team in that period after NYG, Pitt, and Indy, which also had 2 Superbowl appearances but more wins in that time frame. Granted, in the NFL if you aren't 1st you're last (I will not say I want a thin Pancake!), however calling that "nothing" seems a little inaccurate.

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Some people around here seem to need reminding.

But feel free to play like you don't know what I'm talking about.

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Maybe you should be reminded that just because some people don't think it's the end of the world when things don't go our way that we still want a championship as much as you do. I don't agree with your opinions Mat but it doesn't mean I want to win any less. It's getting downright offensive at this point and I would personally (not as a moderator) appreciate it if you'd get off your high horse and knock it off.

• Like Like x 4
  14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    If you're offended by this thread then maybe you should ask yourself, why.

I didn't single any one person out Syd, this isn't an argument thread, it's a state the obvious thread. Those who disagreed when I said virtually the same thing one month ago, are free to single themselves out.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Funny, typically it is you who needs reminding of things...

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    eeeya...did that feel as forced as it sounds? ;)

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    You didn't have to single anyone out - it's pretty clear where the lines are drawn on the issue around here - you argue with the same people about the same issue(s) over and over.

It may not be an outright argument thread but you're baiting anyone who doesn't share your repeatedly stated opinions on the organization and their decisions. Implying they don't share the goal of getting to/winning a Super Bowl. I don't understand why you had to be such a jerk about it, enough that you made your own thread just to be condescending. That bothers me. I don't need to ask myself why, it's pretty self explanatory.

We're all fans of the same team here - we all want them to be successful - even if we disagree about how to get that done. Why can't we save the ire for Donkey fans and criminals (err Raider fans)? Why the need to turn to our own?

• Like Like x 6
  18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555

The disagreement is less about what it takes to be successful, than it is about the much lower standard many fans around here actually consider success. And how my definition (the same simple one cited above in which everyone now conveniently agrees with) was attacked and insulted a month ago by a handful of clowns. A couple of which I notice are hiding behind your nobel post here rather than speaking for themselves.

Your point is taken and I'll back off for now. But in the future don't expect me to not come back and drive my points home when the time is right just because it takes a couple weeks, and because it doesn't suit you.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    You (not specifically you) can't say anything less than winning the Super Bowl is a failure, then praise the Pats. They've done just as little as the Chargers by that metric. The post I was responding to was just irrelevant AJ bashing, if NE's roster was so strong how come their defence is so horrendous?

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So you agree you are on a high horse, by stating that you have some grandiose expectations and anyone who does not share said expectations fall short. Well you go gurl, the only one you hurt is you. Your high expectations drive you into crying that a game is lost in the first five minutes and failing to enjoy anything about a team you supposedly love. If bitterness and angst is the mothers milk you crave, go for it.

Syd's point is a valid one. There are people who express their frustrations in a manner that is not a slap in the face to others. You might try developing that talent.

RTL like here​
    | ​
    | ​
    v ​

• Like Like x 2
  21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I'm not getting into this argument again, all ill say is goals and expectations are not the same thing.

By failing to win the division for the 2nd year in row the Chargers failed to meet everyone's expectations, and by contiuing down this path its hard to argue that they are moving toward their goals...which is obviously extremely irritating to some of us.

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    BTW don't think I missed the irony of these two sentences being used back to back, coming from easily one of the worst offenders of name calling and petulance to contribute to this board no less.

23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm reminded of William Faulkner

• Like Like x 1
  24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So failure to win the division indicates that they no longer are trying to win? My point is your logic is flawed. You bring your irritation on yourself.

You have no way of judging what this team will do next year. They could go undefeated, they have the talent. They could lose every game. It is not a matter of having the best players, putting on a helmet and you win. YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE GAME as herman edwards would say. Steelers had Palamalu and lost to the Broncos. That happens. Injury, officials calls, ball bounces and a plethora of other factors go into if a team wins or loses.

If you feel the team in no longer moving towards their goals, feel free. But you are so wrong it is laughable. Do you honestly think Norv, Philip, Shawn, Eric, Quinton, Jeromey, Antonio, Vincent or all the others dont have their goals set to win? That is either ill thought out or arrogant, I cant figure out which...

Matti... When the team eventually gets back to losing seasons (and they will, all teams go through the cycles). Where will you be, and what colors will you be wearing?

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Thank you for validating my point.

26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

Teams should not go through losing seasons when they have a healthy veteran Franchise QB on the roster. Having a healthy QB of Rivers's caliber on the roster and having a losing season would indicate that the coach blows and/or the GM is not putting adequate talent on the roster.

I won't agree with Matti's take on this, but I think your view that this team currently has the talent to compete for an NFL championship is inaccurate. We have no passrush and our line is a turnstile. We're close, but not there. The Talent Black Holes at SS, OLB, NT, and C, and the coming absence of depth at WR are major issues. We also don't have anyone behind Gates who belongs on an NFL roster. This team has some wildly talented individuals, but the days of being "the most talented team" are gone as a result of AJ's constant trading up in the draft to reach for bad prospects.

This team used to be QB (name irrelevant) throws to Gates and hands the ball off to Tomlinson, who runs it 80 yds for 6 while breaking at least 6 sets of ankles. Now it's Rivers throws to Jackson (unless he's holding out) or Gates (unless he's injured) and hands off to Mathews (unless he's injured) or Tolbert, either of whom have a propensity for miraculously coughing up the rock. Compared to pre-2008, our secondary is amazing. The problem is that compared to pre-2008 our front 7 is a travesty. I think we're all waiting to see if Smitty can pull a rabbit out of a hat this offseason, and hoping that if he does pull a rabbit out, that it's still alive.

• Like Like x 1
  27. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    If your point was that you're a hypocrite, your welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    lmfao this thread is awesome

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok how long is said franchise QB going to be playing? How long did the 49'ers have Montana and Young, and how long did it take them to recover after that?

You are free to think what ever you like about the team competing for a championship, however such a statement seems contradictory to your opening paragraph does it not? So which is it? Teams with a QB like Rivers should never have a losing season, or the Chargers dont have the talent to compete for a championship? Which one?

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No the point that you will argue, and take the time to make extra posts to argue.