1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Toby Gerhart

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by chargeaway, Apr 20, 2010.

1. chargeaway

chargeaway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I really hope the chargers draft Toby Gerhart. I dont care if its in the first or second round, just get it done. I live in Arizona and have spent the last three years watching him absolutely abuse defenses in the Pac-10. The guy is a phenomenal runner and his running style would be an excellent complement to Darren Sproles. What do you guys think?

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Probably won't be on the team

3. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    he's white:lol:

4. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Interesting article...

Link
    Race factors into evaluation of Gerhart

Buzz up! 516 PrintPALO ALTO, Calif. – If you’ve seen Toby Gerhart carry the football, you’re well aware that the former Stanford halfback and Heisman Trophy runner-up is about as subtle as Iron Man. It’s no surprise, then, that as the NFL draft approaches, the player one AFC front-office executive described as “a bowling ball with butter knives” is hell-bent on obliterating the perception that he lacks the athleticism to succeed in the pros.

Gerhart during Stanford's pro day last month.

(Dino Vournas/Associated Press)
    “I’m just a running back who tries to do what he can to win games and score touchdowns, but people have their opinions, and it’s kind of frustrating,” Gerhart said earlier this month between bites of pizza. “People say, ‘He’s slow,’ or ‘He’s not going to be able to break tackles at the next level.’ In college I went up against players like [USC’s] Brian Cushing(notes) and Clay Matthews(notes) – guys who ended up making the Pro Bowl [as NFL rookies] – and I ran through their tackles. It’s too bad people look at you all weird because of a stereotype.”

When NFL scouts look at Gerhart, they see a 6-foot, 231-pound power back who ran for 1,871 yards and 27 touchdowns last season, getting edged out by Alabama’s Mark Ingram in the closest Heisman vote in history. When they look at Gerhart’s numbers from the NFL scouting combine, they see that he ran a 4.50-second 40-yard dash and registered a 38-inch vertical leap, both impressive numbers for a player his size.

Yet they also see a white guy trying to make it in the league as a feature back, something that has become increasingly rare in this era. Peyton Hillis(notes), now with the Cleveland Browns, led the Denver Broncos in rushing yards in 2008, but was limited to just 54 last season in part because of 2009 draft pick Knowshon Moreno’s(notes) addition.

Race shouldn’t be an issue, of course, but Gerhart can’t help but believe that it has colored the opinions of at least some potential employers.

“One team I interviewed with asked me about being a white running back,” Gerhart says. “They asked if it made me feel entitled, or like I felt I was a poster child for white running backs. I said, ‘No, I’m just out there playing ball. I don’t think about that.’ I didn’t really know what to say.”

One longtime NFL scout insisted that Gerhart’s skin color will likely prevent the Pac-10’s offensive player of the year from being drafted in Thursday’s first round.

“He’ll be a great second-round pickup for somebody, but I guarantee you if he was the exact same guy – but he was black – he’d go in the first round for sure,” the scout said. “You could make a case that he’s a Steven Jackson-type – doesn’t have blazing speed but he’s strong and powerful and versatile.”

Gerhart isn’t used to such comparisons. He’s typically cast as the next John Riggins or Mike Alstott(notes) or, less flatteringly, as an updated version of another former Stanford star, Tommy Vardell, who had an unremarkable NFL career after being picked ninth overall in the 1992 draft.

“You hear that I’m like those guys, or like [current Cincinnati Bengals back] Brian Leonard(notes),” Gerhart says. “I see myself more like Deuce McAllister(notes) or Michael Turner(notes).”

It’s possible, of course, that Gerhart is overestimating his own abilities – if so, he certainly wouldn’t be the first player to do so publicly in the weeks leading up to the draft.

I’ve spoken with numerous NFL talent evaluators about Gerhart over the past few months, and there are plenty of skeptics who don’t seem to be locked into mindless stereotypes.

“I don’t like him,” one NFC general manager told me at the combine. “If he’s your No. 1 back, he’s going to get killed by the end of the season, because he takes too many hits. And he has no special teams value. To me, what you see is what you get. He’s pretty good at everything, but he doesn’t do anything that’s special at our level.”

Said an AFC front-office executive: “This guy runs exactly the way the hole is blocked and gets exactly what you think he’s going to get – maybe a little more because he runs so hard, but nothing more explosive than that. He runs so upright, he’s going to get lit up.”’

“There’s no reason I shouldn’t really like him, but I just don’t,” added another AFC personnel executive. “He’s not really shifty, but he gets yards. He’s fast, but it’s a long speed, and not really a quick speed. You want me to compare him to a black guy? How about T.J. Duckett(notes)? There’s a big, fast guy who hasn’t been productive in the NFL.”

Yet others believe Gerhart’s exceptional production at Stanford, a program that was struggling mightily upon his arrival, is indicative of his immense pro potential.

“I love the guy,” says former Cardinals, Rams and 49ers scout David Razzano, who is based on the West Coast and attended several of Gerhart’s games over the past two seasons. “You’ve got to see him live to appreciate him. He’s not just a plodder. He’s deceptively fast, elusive, has quick feet and has great vision at the line of scrimmage. And he’s great in the red zone.

“He’s a bell-cow back. If there’s nothing there, he’ll get four yards. He was productive in high school and in college, and guys like that don’t change – he’ll be productive in the NFL.”

Gerhart ran for 178 yards and 3 TDs against USC last season.

Gerhart, who was flown in for pre-draft visits by the Baltimore Ravens, Philadelphia Eagles, Browns and San Diego Chargers, says he’d consider playing fullback in the pros “if that’s what it takes to get on the field.” But he bristles at the notion that it might even be a consideration. “Prior to the combine, all I heard was, ‘He’s gonna run in the 4.7s,’ ” Gerhart says. “I read this blog that said, ‘Why was Toby the only running back who had to run under 4.6 to not be classified as a fullback?’ Fifteen other guys ran in the 4.6s at the combine, and nothing was said about them [playing fullback].”

Plenty of Pac-10 defenders wish Gerhart had been typecast as a fullback during his collegiate career – or that the former Cardinal baseball star had chosen to focus on that sport. Certainly, no one at USC was devastated that Gerhart decided not to return for a fourth college season after his epic performance in Stanford’s stunning, 55-21 victory over the Trojans in Los Angeles last November, the high point of an 8-5 season that ended with a narrow Sun Bowl defeat to Oklahoma.

“That’s by far my favorite victory,” Gerhart says of the USC game. “We were up big at the end and hitting ‘em in the mouth – we ran 15 of the last 18 plays from the exact same formation, where we’d motion the tight end one way or the other and I’d run to that side. At one point one of their linebackers yelled, ‘If you guys run ‘Power’ one more time I’m walking off the field.’ It was classic.”

Oh, and here’s some background information of which NFL teams might want to take note: Pete Carroll, USC’s coach at the time, had tried to recruit Gerhart out of high school – as a fullback.

In other words, underestimate him at your own peril, and brace yourself for maximum impact

5. chargeaway

chargeaway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I saw that article on yahoo. Its weird to me that because he is white is such a big deal. Just youtube toby gerhart and all your doubts will evaporate.

6. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeah but isn't there a reason there have been like 0 good white RBs since mike alstott the fullback in the NFL. Do we really need another hester?:lol:

7. chargeaway

chargeaway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I dont think he is a hester. Hester is slower and didnt run people over. We all have seen hester try to block people as a fullback the last year. He cant run over a safety let alone a linebacker. Also he will probably be available in the second round. I see AJ going NT and then stealing Gerhart in the second round. I hope this gets done.

8. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    nah. Gerhart looks awesome. I wa joking about the white thing!:icon_shrug:

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

It could, but we'll probably end up looking for a faster, quicker, more talented upgrade next year or the year after....probably with another high pick.

10. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    in otherwords a blacker back :lol:

11. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I don't care where he gets his motivation from, if he's going to be abusing defenses in the NFL the same way he did in college, he should play for us.

I see him getting drafted by the Texans simply because a white running back - if he turns out to be really good - would probably sell a sh*tload of jerseys in Texas.

If Jonathan Dwyer gets drafted before Toby Gerhart, the racial aspect will be obvious. Just look at how they compare: http://bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21769

12. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    what r u trying to say bout ppl in texass:lol:

13. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
  14. chargeaway

chargeaway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    He is most assuredly worth a 2nd round pick. If best, matthews and spiller are gone in 1st round and we took a NT, I am extremely hopeful that we will snag Gerhart in the second. I would be furious if we took that druggie dwyer over gerhart.

15. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    He's not a druggie, he takes medication for adhd. The NFL knew about it.

It's nothing. Nothing.

16. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Not before #40, if then.

The Chargers will have a shot at a much better player than Toby at #28, and if another team grabbed him before #40, this is still a draft DEEP in RBs.

I really believe that with only a couple of exceptions, the Bolts would be much better served by addressing the defense with the 28th pick, and then seeing who's still on the board at #40...

17. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    What if he did this?

[​IMG]

18. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Just saw his highlights. He's most definetely not slow and he runs hard. But he's not very shifty for a starting tailback. He's VERY shifty for a fullback though (assuming he can catch and block. I would love to have that guy back there as a running threat at the fullback position. We still need a starting tailback though.

19. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    It still wouldn't give him breakaway speed or shiftyness. But he'd have a heck of a Jheri Curl.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't get why the Chargers even try to use Hester as a full back. The dude is smaller than even Micheal Turner, let alone is he big enough to even be a legit FB.

Norv turner said it himself when Hester was drafted, he was drafted to be a RB who can play FB once in a while. I get using him in emergancy situations, but he isn't a FB, never has been and never will be.

The Chargers need to get this through their head and use the dude as a RB, see what he can do. If he sucks, cut your ties and move on, because he isn't any good at FB

21. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Ill pass unless its in the 4th or 5th rounds

Im sorry, but hes just not that good. His whole game in college was power, but im sorry, power alone wont get it done in the NFL. He has no wiggle or juking ability. He basically a smaller Brandon Jacobs. A one speed, one dimensional runner, who is really only going to gain anything for you if theres a big hole for him to run through

If we wanted a player like that, id rather take Anthony Dixon, who we likely can have a round or two later

22. chargeaway

chargeaway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with defense in the first round either NT or DE but if he is there in the second for us I would take him. His north south style of running would greatly complement Darren Sproles shiftyness and would allow us to improve on 3rd and 4th down attempts. Remember when sproles got stuffed by ray lewis? dont think that would happen if it was gerhart with the ball.

23. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Here's another way of putting it:

Gerhart is only worth taking at #28 if he's a John Riggins clone.

There are some who think he is, but I'd say the majority see him as a guy who won't produce in the NFL.

If A.J. were to take Gerhart at #28, it would tell you EXACTLY what Smith thinks of the kid's ability to make an impact for this team.

I don't see it happening, though. :icon_shrug:

24. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    There isnt that big a difference between the two. If you watched Hester in college, you would see him run over people all the time, and much like Gerhart, his game was all power

Also, their measurables werent too off

Hester - 5'11 228 4.59
    Gerhart - 6'0 231 4.53

So youre right, gerhart is bigger and faster, but not by much

25. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Dude, WTF? There are a few of us on this board living in Texas so thanks for offending us. By the way, I don't think you want to bring politics into this - the Texas economy has weathered the recession better than any other state in the US, how is CA doing?

Don't mess with Texas! :lol:

26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'd happily grab him with our second if Matthews is off the board (and assuming we didn't take him of course). Guy is a running back, a good inside the tackle power back which we desperately need. I don't buy this fullback or Alscott talk as anything but stereotyping. He doesn't act or look like a fullback or like Alscott.

27. chargeaway

chargeaway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with anteater. I am not buying the Mike Alstott Hype. I go to Arizona State and watched this guy destroy, and I mean destroy defenses. Like he was quoted in the article saying that he ran over Rey Maulega and Clay Matthews repeatedly in college and they were some of the best rookie LBs in the NFL last year.

28. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Actually, Toby said it was Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing, but I'm sure Ray Maualuga appreciates your trying to include him! :icon_rofl:

29. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Honestly this guy is good. If he can stay healthy he will do WORK in Cleveland

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, that same thing would have happened if Chris Johnson had the ball. That play was blown by the line and the play call, not the person holding the ball