1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Today! Cuts to 53

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Aug 31, 2012.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Jets make early cuts, including some family connections

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 31, 2012, 8:49 AM EDT

Getty Images
    The Jets have started making their cuts, with 19 of their 22 needed moves in the books, according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

They have waived safety D’Anton Lynn (the son of running backs coach Anthony Lynn) and quarterback Matt Simms (son of former Giants quarterback Phil Simms).

Also released, per Mehta: Wide receivers Joseph Collins and Eron Riley, tight endTarren Lloyd, offensive linemen Paul Cornick, Fred Koloto, and Matt Kroul, defensive linemen Jay Richardson, Damon Harrison and Martin Tevaseu, linebackers Ricky Sapp, Marcus Dowtin and Brett Roy (injury settlement) defensive backs Donnie Fletcher, LeQuan Lewis, Julian Posey, and Ryan Steed and punter Spencer Lanning.

Teams have until 9 p.m. to get to the 53-man regular season limit, and we’ll keep track of all today’s moves for you here.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Norv needs to be the Bolt's first cut!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    You will have to wait until next season. ;)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Just trying to get a jump start.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Seriously though we gotta cut 22 players today right?......... I'm gona start naming guys to see how many imho are definite - Baker, Baxter, Battle, Bird, Bryant, Cattouse, Cesaire, Davis, Elmore, Gamble, Goodman, Harrell, Henderson, Hobbs, Lee, Lynch, Malone, Novak, Presley, Scafe, Sperry........

That's only 21. I need 1 more.

I'm holding onto Gatson over Presley because we are in big trouble at corner. Also Gachkar over Bird (but this could b the other way around). Can Brinkley stick as a 3rd back when we have McClain who can spell Brown until Mathews comes back?.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    If we play like we did last night it'll be sooner than that.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Here's hoping!.

8. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Giants early cuts include linebacker Greg Jones, running back Danny Ware

Posted by Mike Florio on August 31, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT

Getty Images
    With Week One of the 2012 regular season only five days away for the Giants, the Giants have released the player who started at middle linebacker for the team in Week One of the 2011 regular season.

Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledgerreports that linebacker Greg Jones has been waived. The sixth-round pick in the 2011 draft appeared in every game last year, starting five.

Running back Danny Ware also has been released; he announced the move on his Twitter page. The departure of Ware means that Andre Brown and Da’Rel Scott likely will make the 53-man roster.

Also gone (per Garafolo) are receiver Dan DePalma (who at 5’11″ towers over his uncle Louie), receiver David Douglas, sixth-round rookie Matt McCants, receiver Isaiah Stanback. Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reports that linebacker Jake Muasau, defensive end Matt Broha, tight end Larry Donnell, and defensive end Craig Marshall have been cut. Safety Tyler Sashhas been placed on the reserve/suspended list.

All teams must be at 53 by 9:00 p.m. ET tonight. (And, yes, there is an echo in here.)

9. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Yo Doug--you maintaining a list of available kickers? :D

10. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    It doesn't matter. This team probably won't make it to the playoffs anyway. :whistling:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Redskins cut Tim Hightower

Posted by Josh Alper on August 31, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT

AP
    There were several points during the summer when it appeared the Redskins would make Tim Hightowertheir lead running back when he was healthy enough for the job.

Summer’s not quite over, but Hightower’s chances of grabbing that lead role took a serious blow on Friday when he got the news that he’ll be released by the Redskins. Grant Paulsen of 106.7 The Fan in Washington reports that Hightower will not be on the team’s 53-man roster while rookie Alfred Morris has grabbed a spot.

Hightower was coming back from a torn ACL and saw some action in the preseason, but the team obviously felt he had less to offer than Morris, Evan Royster andRoy Helu. It seems like Hightower would have been a strong candidate for the league’s new injured reserve rule that would have allowed him eight more weeks to get his knee right before the Redskins had to make any choice about his future, but he would have had to be on the 53-man roster at the end of Friday for that to happen.

Paulsen’s report indicates that option wasn’t of interest to Washington and that Hightower will have to look elsewhere if he wants to continue his NFL career.

13. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Patriots cut Brian Hoyer, leaving Ryan Mallett as only backup QB

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 31, 2012, 1:22 PM EDT
    Getty Images
    The Patriots have chosen to go with Ryan Mallett as the only backup to Tom Brady, having released quarterback Brian Hoyer.

They’ve also cut veteran offensive linemanDan Koppen, according to Shalise Manza Young of the Boston Globe.

Hoyer, a former undrafted free agent who made the team in 2009, was Brady’s backup last year prior to Mallett being picked in the third round.

There was talk he could be a trade chip, but the Patriots apparently couldn’t find anyone interested.

Update: 1:32 p.m. ET: They’ve also released wide receiver Deion Branch, per multiple reports. The youth movement is on in New England, after they releasedJabar Gaffney and Donte Stallworth as well.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Hightower, Hoyer, and Hanson are very interesting names, we could probably use all three.

15. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I wonder how much tread Dan Kopen has left?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Carolina Panthers: Have released defensive tackle Ogemdi Nwagbuo.

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I was thinking the same but he's a center yeah? Isn't that the one position on the OL we have enough depth at?

But then again, I remember seeing talk of moving Green out to LT and another guy in at Guard, think it might have been Baxter? Someone who can double as a center I believe (havign a blonde moment here so correct me if I'm wrong) maybe there's a way to make it work? I dunno... our Oline is my #1 worry, at this point I see a FA Olineman and he looks like a savior :p

18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Based on Hardwick's concussion and or early retirement indecision, Kopen wouldn't be a bad idea to stash

19. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Possible OT's:
    Pat McQuistan (Dallas)
    Andrew Datko (Green Bay)

20. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-...makes-his-case-etc?blockID=765821&feedID=2801
    Roscoe Parrish, who entered the game with a career 12.0-yards per punt return average, may have sealed his fate, losing one punt on a fumble and muffing the second, when he seemed to be having trouble with his helmet.
    "You have to protect the ball," said Raiders coach Dennis Allen. "He has done a nice job in the NFL as a returner, so I don't know if the one night defines who he is. But obviously, he had a rough night tonight."

21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I still say Clifton or McKenzie should get a shot at LT

22. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    I'm almost positive that both of them are either retired, or planning to file for retirement soon. Dont want. Datko is a ZBS only and has some of the worst lower body strength i've ever seen, a 7th rounder rook isn't any better than what we got now...

McQuestin is no better than a backup RT. Doesn't have the ability to play LT, and wouldn't be any better than Harris.

Hanson is a very interesting name, he should definitely be a target for us, he would start at nickel and allow Wright/Gilchrist to be the backup CB's, even if one is hurt.

I have no desire to grab Hightower. We had the choice to pick up 2 RB's of him, Brown and Battle, and we chose the latter two, we obviously feel that he's not better than those guys. If Chris Ivory is cut, however, he's a PERFECT fit for our run game, and would be an upgrade over Battle.

An interesting guy i want to take a shot at is Brandon Washington. He has great potential at OG and could be a real mauler if we give a year to work with him.

I dont know if any worth-while OT's will be cut.

23. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Lions release Alphonso Smith

Posted by Mike Florio on August 31, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT

Getty Images
    Rumored to be on the trade market, the news for cornerback Alphonso Smith ultimately was worse.

The Lions have released the former second-round pick of the Broncos, per a league source.

Smith, drafted by Denver in 2009 and traded to Detroit in 2010, shrugged off the trade talkearlier this year.

“Please forgive my frankness,” Smith said in June. “To be blunt with you, I really didn’t care. It didn’t happen. It still may happen. You never know.

“I don’t care about reports or rumors. Only thing I can focus on is I’m a Detroit Lion and I’m a Detroit Lion until I’m not.”

Now? Not.

He has yet to compile four years of service, so Smith must pass through waivers.

In other words, he’ll be a Colt soon.

24. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Saints cut John Kasay, settling kicker competition

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 31, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT

AP
    The Saints settled their kicking competition, by cutting the single-season record holder in points scored.

According to Mike Triplett of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, the Saints cut John Kasay, giving the job back to Garrett Hartley.

Kasay filled in for an injured Hartley and had a banner year, with a franchise-record 147 points.

But Hartley recovered well from last year’s hip injury, leading the Saints to part ways with the 42-year-old Kasay.

Kasay’s old team, the Panthers, might be considered a likely landing spot, but they seem set on keeping young Justin Medlock.

25. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are expected to waive third-year SS Larry Asante, a source toldThesidelineview.com.

Asante is part of a fairly deep safety group which includes starters SS Mark Barron and FS Ronde Barber and fellow backups Cody Grimm and Ahmad Black.

Asante, who was originally selected by the Cleveland Browns in the fifth round 2010 NFL Draft, was signed off the Browns' practice squad in November of 2010.

Should the Buccaneers waive the defensive back on Thursday by 4:00 p.m. ET, Asante could be claimed off waivers by another team on Friday.

Asante has two years left on his contract and carries a base salary of $540,000 for the 2012 season.

The Colts, who hold the first waiver position, have an opening for a backup at strong safety.

UPDATE: A source confirmed Asante was not waived Thursday. The transaction will go through on Friday.
    Posted 5:28 pm ET

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/...e-buccaneers-release-third-year-safety-update

26. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    Lydon Murtha was just cut by the Dolphins, if healthy he's a solid swing OT.

27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    : Upon the release of Eagles QB Mike Kafka, HC Andy Reid called all other teams asking if there was any interest in a trade, In the nicest way possible all 31 teams said the exact same thing "Go F#$k yourself!!"

28. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    So we've already got people hoping the team sucks so Norv will get fired? Weak.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I hope he could be, and this could be technically said about anyone released today, but if he was cut how good can he be? ESPECIALLY if the Fins cut him.

30. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    Their deep at OT. Gardner is solid as that backup swing OT, and they drafted Johnathan Martin this year, so he may be the swing tackle, and he was set to make nearly 2 mil this year.

• Useful Useful x 1